Computer making involuntary fart sounds

Discussion in 'Software' started by unclematty, Mar 31, 2004.

1. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

This true. Every 5 or 10min, my father's computer is playing a sound that sounds like a whoopy cushion. It is so funny but it has to stop.

I ran adaware and norton to no avail. Any clue?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Using Trillian?

3. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

nope. trillian is not installed

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Go to the folder where your sounds are stored C:\Windows\media and see if one of them is this sound. You can play them to see. It may be that there is a wav file that has been set to a Windows function.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You updated for viruses recently? LOL oh dear... strange computer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  6. harry

harry Private "Bad" Joker

Dunno if this will help. but I had strange noises, even with all sound functions turned off. I contacted my friendly Indian techie in Bombay whose sage advice was to go to internet options, advanced , scroll down to find "play sounds in web pages" and disable it.I pointed out to him that I still wanted the other web page sounds, to which he pulled his turban lower and refused to talk!
    So by turning programs off in turn , I found that there was a "conflict" between Everest and Pest Patrol, and with either turned off the sound disappears.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

April Fools joke? Baz

8. Tater

Tater Tot

Sounds like an April fools joke to me too. I did the same thing (differant wavs though) to a friend of mine. It took him weeks to figure it out. Look in the control panel and double click sounds. Check through those for "unusual" sounding wav files.

9. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Do you have a weather program like WeatherPulse, etc which updates every few (settable) minutes and produces a sound of your choice when it does? This might explain the regularity (no pun intended) of the sound.

10. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

Did your computer eat a Stouffers Lasagna? If so, those sounds will gradually diminish and stop in 12 to 24 hours.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds