Computer Running Slow After Fresh Windows Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkman, Nov 23, 2017.

1. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Hello Majorgeeks,

Earlier this summer I did a fresh install of windows 7 Pro 64 bit because my mom was having issues with being slow and just random problems here and there from the pc being ~7 years old. She uses it for work and usually has more than 10 tabs open in firefox while she does. I had to upgrade from 4gb of ram to 16 because firefox was using so much memory and you couldn't do anything without waiting forever. Everything was working fine for a while. Now anytime she uses firefox, pages load slow, sometimes her extension roboform doesnt work, firefox (not responding), and just an overall sluggishness. It's a custom built and the Belarc Profile is in the attachment. I appreciate your help, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Sadly the screenshot is unreadable. It is better to use smaller screenshots - ie the top half and bottom half separately - and using ALT + PrtScr as it just focuses on that window.

As far as Firefox is concerned the recent release of Firefox Quantum 57 64 bit is far better than any earlier version.
    Get it from here and simply install it over the existing version. It will retain the same existing profile.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/

3. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Ah i'm sorry. I thought you could download it and zoom in. I attached separate images. Thank you for replying!

Attached Files:

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is it slow all the time or just when Firefox is being used? (That helps to isolate a software issue from a hardware issue sometimes).

What security program(s) is/are running? Some slow down a system.

I have always found FF to be sluggish so a few years ago, I replaced it with Palemoon. The problem both with replacing it with Palemoon or the latest FF Quantum is that you might have a problem with addons. Some of Mozilla's work in palemoon and the few I use do work. Quatum, on the other hand tosses out/disables all the old addons because they have moved to a new system. If there are addons your mom absolutely needs, before you update to v 57, be sure the new type of addons are available.

6. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Greetings jkman,

You mentioned that you have recently
    of Windows 7 64 bit on the machine.
    Without wanting you to spend much I would like to push for a SSD drive. The speed is quite extraordinary. I have a laptop runnings windows 10 on a 32GB drive that I picked up for £10.
    The read write speeds make the computer such a different experience. You can pick up 250 GB drives for around £80.
    People around here would love to help.

s.

7. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Sorry for the delayed response. It's slow when only using firefox. She says it usually happens after she's been on for a while. It can run fine for a while and all of the sudden it will lag, slow down and suck up all of the memory causing it to lock up and you can't do anything else on the computer. I now feel like this is the same issue that was happening before I installed the new RAM and it wasn't the RAM to begin with. The only security program she runs is Avira and this wasn't causing problems in the past. She now uses firefox quantum. She is not able to switch because the addon shes uses, roboform, would have to have all of the info put back into it since it's in a different browser.

MaxTurner, I ran both of those and there was nothing wrong found.

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yea .... I used the new Firefox Developers Edition for two days and it got slower and slower. Finally went back to Chrome.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Looks like she'll just have to put up with the slowdowns if she wants to use Firefox.
    Eventually she'll have to move to FF Quantum because v 56 will not be patched.

I currently run FF ESR (Extended Support Release). It is at v 52.5.3. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the mainstream FF and as a result only gets security updates which is fine for me. I never understood the need for a new version every 6 weeks. But support for this version will end at the end of June 2018 so I'll have to use something else if I want the old addon system. I have been trying Waterfox.

10. nasreen stark

nasreen stark Private E-2

I recently changed to Firefox Quantum 57.0.4 and I find it much faster than previous versions. It does support Roboform but in a different way (see Roboform FAQs) than previous Firefox versions. Apart from an ad blocker I don't really use any add ons.

11. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds