Computer turns on but doesn't display anything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Majin Joku, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

A little weird situation happened to me this morning. I had decided to install a second SATA drive into my desktop and before I did this the computer booted up fine and displayed without issues. Then I install the drive onto my computer and hook everything back up. When I try turning it on, everything turns on, there aren't any beeps or anything yet my monitor doesn't receive signal. I tried removing the hard drive i installed and now i only get the same result.

My computer is custom built has an american trends motherboard, 160 gb WD hard drive, Intel Pentium 4 processor (3.2 GHZ), Windows XP Professional.. Any thoughts or ideas

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Had something similar to you with my current build, ended up being that the BIOS had changed some of the settings to default so had the wrong HDD listed as the 1st bootable one with the OS on, so check that first.

3. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

I removed the hard drive that I had installed and I even removed the CMOS battery to try and reset it. The problem is the computer wont go into the bios, won't display anything. If i turn it on, and turn the monitor on, it just goes to sleep and doesn't receive any signal...

I also checked all the connections on the motherboard and unhooked everything and reconnected everything. still same thing happens. the hard drive spins, the dvd drive reads and doesn't read and weirdly enough if i open the drive while it's on, the drive stays open for 2 seconds then shuts by itself....

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could you give us some PC specs, you know the usual, CPU, Motherboard, HDD, Graphics Card, makes and models.

Only thing I can think of at present, knowing what you have mentioned about unseating and reseating, is does your graphic card have its own extra power supply, some have a 4 pin extra power connector from the PSU, this may explain no signal to monitor.

Try if you have multiple RAM modules to remove all bar one, and see if it boots.

5. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

No graphics card it's onboard the motherboard it's an american megatrends P23g V. 1.0, the hard drive is a western digital 160 gb (as is the other one the one i was installing that wound up causing this issue but it had 320 gb) processor is pentium 4 2 thread 1 core (3.2 ghz)...

Any thoughts if it could be the Power Supply??? It has a max output of only 300 W...

Let me know what you think guys.... I'm starting to become clueless...

6. Majin Joku

Majin Joku Private E-2

I have still had no luck in diagnosing the problem... Help would be most appreciated and needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds