Computer Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by f2bacon, Sep 28, 2017.

1. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

Sorry if this is a bit of a long story, I'll try and leave anything unnecessary out.
    I downloaded an unverified torrent and got myself some nasty malware/adware and the sort. malwarebytes gave me moderate success but there was still some stuff left over that couldn't be removed. I came to majorgeeks and downloaded as much software I could to try and finish the job. Freefixer pulled back a ton of things and gave me a warning that not everything will actually be malicious, so I took that warning and deleted obviously more than I should have. It finished what it was doing and had me restart. The computer hasn't booted since. I get the freefixer black screen that I'll attach. I got a windows 10 enterprise to go flash drive and I've been using that to try and solve the problem and get my regular windows drive to boot.
    Be naming the freefixer.exe I can disable freefixer from starting at boot, but when I try and boot again, it brings me to advanced boot and none of the options really work. I have no system restores, and all the other options don't really work.
    I'll include my freefixer log, would anyone be able to tell me the steps I should take to have my windows bootable again? I've tried a couple things but maybe someone more experienced would be able to see what exactly is wrong here.

Thank you for absolutely anything helpful.

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Although few of us still use XP, I think the only choice you have now, since system files were removed, is to do a fresh install.

3. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you have the Windows XP CD and your Product Key?

5. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

I guess I should've mentioned I'm on windows 10, and yes I removed system files, but I'm using windows 10 to go on a flash drive to access my system. Similar like in the past I've used linux to replace system files.
    I believe last time I tried sfc scannnow it crashed halfway through.
    I absolutely don't want to reinstall windows. I have the mindset that if I could undo what I did, my entire computer is just sitting there waiting to be booted into.
    For example, maybe someone knows more about nvapi64.dll than I do, and if I get that from an active version of windows and copy it into it's respective file location, would that work/help? Does anything in the fixlog suggest a reason the computer would no longer boot, and does anyone know a way to fix that?
    I definitely don't want to do a fresh install because of my idiot mistake, I feel like there's a simple answer I'm just missing

6. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

Now I remember there was a code to sfc scannow on an alternative drive (my current C drive is the windows to go flash drive) and my main windows drive is D. I scanned /D and it bluescreened halfway through

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

nvapi64.dll is an NVIDIA driver for Windows.
    How is the monitor connected to the PC?

8. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

Now that's useful. I have 3 monitors connected, 2 hdmi, 1 displayport.
    So if I install nvidea drivers on my portable drive, would I be able to copy the nvapi64.dll to my regular drive?

9. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

for whatever reason, this worked all of a sudden, but was inconclusive anyway

Attached Files:

10. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

I'm overjoyed. A friend of mine was able to get my computer to get into safe mode with networking. Only my main monitor works like this (all monitors worked with my windows to go drive)
    This confirms a lot of theory around it being a graphics driver. Would anyone know exactly how I could fix this?

11. f2bacon

f2bacon Private E-2

Installing drivers from safe mode solved my problems entirely!! Thanks to everyone who helped

Stephen_c16 and Eldon like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds