Connected Wifi But No Internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jassmin, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Hi,
    can somebody help me how can I fix Local only - having problems with intenet connection, connected only to wifi but no internet.

Thank you in advance.

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

You need to give a few more details such as what operating system are you using, what browser, what kind of router, ECT.

3. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Hi, it's 100 years old windows vista, using Google Chrome, router is Technicolor ( have different one which I don't use because this is from internet provider )

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Let's start with your hardware. Does your router have status lights and if so, is the Internet light green and steady?

5. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Yes, internet is steady I am using smartphone too and it works properly. Wifi is blinking. I just reistalled this old laptop and it stopped working. I mean system reinstall.

6. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

And wifi and internet worked properly before reinstall. So really dont understand where is problem

7. Earthling

Patience, let's look at your settings. Open Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel and click Manage Network Connections. Right click your wireless connection and click Properties. Right click Internet Protocol Version 4 and click Properties. Are both IP Address and DNS Server set to Automatic?

8. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Yes both are set to Automatic. Thank u for helping me.

9. Earthling

I need to fire up an old laptop with Vista. Bear with me.

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

11. Earthling

Aaaah! Seems I reformatted it to XP! Anyway, try right clicking your wireless icon in the tray and see if you can find the option to search for available wireless networks. Would you know the name of your network if it popped up?

12. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Yes of course but I am using ethernet now. My wifi says local only. It is connected to wifi but not to internet. As I wrote already.

13. Earthling

Have to go out for a while now but I'll be back.

14. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

OK, thank you.

15. Earthling

And is the Ethernet working or is that local only too?

16. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Etherent is working, using it right now on laptop.

17. Earthling

Not easy. I think I would check if there is a later driver for the wireless adapter. You could try Iobit Driver Booster or the maker's website support.

18. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Yes I started looking for drivers updater, should I try Iobit?

19. Earthling

Definitely, but it's an old system so Driver Booster may or may not help. Good luck with it anyway.

20. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Thank you a lot. CanĀ§t be problem with bluetooth. It says that is not connected.

21. Earthling

Driver Booster will probably want to update several of your drivers but at this stage I would advise you only to update the wireless adapter. Your problem is not connected with Bluetooth.

22. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

OK, just cant launch it.

23. Earthling

If you mean you can't launch BT that would be consistent with a wireless adapter driver problem.

24. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

I meant download that program.

25. Earthling

26. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

I got exe file but is not moving, probably due to this connection.

Sorry for bothering u with this problem.

27. Earthling

It is stated to be Vista compatible. What exactly do you mean by 'not moving'?

28. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

29. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

That can't download it. Links are fine. Problem with maybe connection.

30. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

So you are saying that your ETHERNET internet connection is not working either now?
    HOW are you getting online here? A different system?
    You said:

31. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

I am using smartphone too ... ethernet is working, just can't download that program. I double click on exe file but nothing ... it is not downloading.

32. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

33. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Ethernet doesn't work on a smart phone.
    BUT if you download Driver Booster on the smart phone, you can copy it via a cable to the laptop.
    If Ethernet IS working on the laptop there is no way you can't download Driver Booster.

34. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

35. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Your sentence phrasing is a little confusing. After downloading the setup file and transferring it to your pc... are you right-clicking the file and choosing "Run as Administrator"?

36. mkrubsack

mkrubsack Private E-2

This has happened to me in the past, but only on the 2.4 GHz band. The 5 GHz band has always worked fine . My fix was to change the channel number to channel 1. My router defaulted to "auto". Changing it to some other channel fixed the "connected, but no internet" message. I went into router menu, then wireless, and changed the 2.4GHz channel number there. On my router, the channel number selector is on the same page as the SSID broadcast toggle.

Perhaps this could work for you?

37. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

No I double clicked the file. Sorry eng is not my mother language.

38. Earthling

The language problem explains why we are all having difficulty sometimes understanding exactly what you have done and where you are at. You are doing fine so do not give up :)

Do as dr. moriarty has said and Driver Booster should run and let us hope that fixes your internet connection.

With this sort of problem you should only have one of your network adapters enabled at any one time. With both enabled it's not easy to tell which connection is working. You should be able to enable and disable them in Network and Sharing Center.

39. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Yes having difficulties to use computers terminology, the problem is that I can't download Driver Booster. Not even Run as Administrator. Maybe some exe files problem in registry.

40. Earthling

Does anything happen at all when you run the file?

41. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Sorry was busy. No nothing at all. Going to try Mozilla. I used Chrome. Some programs I can download some I can't.

42. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That doesn't make any sense. You don't need a web browser to run an .exe file when it has been downloaded.
    Maybe you need to get a friend, relative or work colleague who knows enough about using a Windows system to help you.

Replicator likes this.
  43. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Sorry but I am using windows for many years. Some ppl had problems with opening setup exe files in Chrome - saw that on internet. I have never had this problem before. Regarding downloading files or programs. It doesn't work after reinstalling system. Only few recent days.

44. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You said you had a working smartphone with internet connection. I suggested earlier you download DriverBooster on that smart phone, then simply get your cable and copy it to the laptop. Do that or get someone to help you.

45. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Thank you, how did u do it?

46. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Thank you, good idea. I will try that.

47. Earthling

We need to get it clear whether you already have the Driver Booster setup file or not, because if you already have it there isn't any point in using your mobile phone to get it again and to transfer it to your laptop. So do you have in your Downloads folder or wherever you keep downloads, a file named driver_booster_setup.exe, size 15,401kb or thereabouts.

48. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Yes I do - like 3 times ( tried download couple of times )

49. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

But I can't proceed with it. I double clicked on it, I tried run as administrator I tried opened it and zero result.

50. Jassmin

Jassmin Corporal

Could something be interfering with this program?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds