Cpu Goes Nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripseven, Nov 11, 2017.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

Hi,

I don't have the specs for this PC at my finger tips but if necessary will include them later. My cpu idles along at between four and ten percent usage. Then all of a sudden it jumps to between fifty and one hundred percent usage. Of course the spike cause the computer to slow way down. Any simple ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You can take a screenshot of Speccy's summary info and post it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html
    How often does this happen?
    What Antivirus software are you using?

3. tripseven

It happens randomly. Nothing for a day or so then bam and it eventually subsides back to normal. I use Comodo A/V. As a coincidence, I am not able to run Malwarebytes for a complete scan. The PC freezes toward the very end of the scan, usually at perf logs.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

1. Open Task Manager, click Processes, and check 'Show processes from all users'.
    2. Maximize Task Manager and click the CPU tab.
    3. Minimize Task Manager and wait until the CPU 'goes nuts'.
    4. Then double-click Task Manager, Maximize it and look what is using the CPU.
    Your System Info would be helpful...

5. tripseven

Computer is an HP, AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor, 5gb of ram. Windows 7 home premium.

6. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Bear in mind you are running a
    • Dual-Core
    • Clock Speed
      3 GHz
    • Thermal Design Power
      65 W
    So when things spike they will spike a dual core pretty easy.

Tell us all the software you are using currently.Anti-virus ect ect

Has the computer been updating at all.There have been a few windows 7 updates lately.

And in the task manger can you tell us which of the processes are causing to spike the cpu.

This will help pin point the issue.

If there are any spikes try to use snipping tool in windows 7 start menu to take a picture of it when it is happening.

7. tripseven

Ok, first, I followed the steps Eldon suggested to find what is causing the cpu spikes. Now I seem to have lost all but the processes screen in task manager. I tried rebooting but that did not help.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

1. Post a screenshot of the Summary page of Speccy - see post #2 above
    2. What Anti-Virus program do you have installed - see post #2 above
    3. When the cpu spikes open up Task Manager and post a screenshot of those processes with high usage

Here is how to take a screenshot
    https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/taking-screenshots.26019/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds