Cpu Over Temperature Warning.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellsgrandad, Nov 1, 2017.

1. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi All, bought a used ASUS M5A78L-MLE mobo, installed an AMD Phenon ii x4 850 processor, fired it up and got the above message, (BIOS showed CPU temp 127C, mobo showed 25C)) shut it down, took it apart cleaned both surfaces and the mobo socket, restarted and got the same message, changed the processor for an AMD Phenon 11 x4 840 and got the same message, is it possible the board is faulty, if not any suggestions please?
    cheers,
    Ray

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you apply any thermal paste?

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

And is the CPU fan spinning?

4. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi, applied pea-sized thermal paste, coolermaster brand I think, yes the cpu fan does spin, updated BIOS to latest version, also installed AUSU Probe utility which shows the CPU temp set at 127C,can't see if it is possible to change this to a lower figure, thanks for the replies.

5. TimW

6. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

260.6 fahrenheit wow that is way to hot.

Sounds like a replacement fan is needed.Be for you go any further test the fan on a different fan port.There is normally a 3 pin white connector on the motherboard.Test each 3 pin there should be 3 of them.

7. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the help/advice on this, changed CPU fan/heatsink, used cha fan connection on mobo no difference, installed Core temp program, CPU running between 14/15 degrees C, have attached a couple of screenshots.

Attached Files:

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is this not the maximum temp set by the ASUS Probe Utility - when the CPU temp reaches 127°C it will shutdown?

9. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi Eldon, thanks for the reply, I am attaching a screenshot from probe, take it that CPU is ok and mobo temp sensor is at fault.
    Ray

Attached Files:

10. Eldon

11. TimW

Yeah.....I didn't think your temps were right as soon as you booted. I think Eldon is right about the max temp setting.

12. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi All, ran Speccy (screenshot attached) it would appear temp sensor on mobo is definitely duff, thanks for all the help on this, can now ignore boot-up warning and carry on.

Attached Files:

13. Eldon

If the temp sensor on the mobo is broken, Speccy would not show the correct temperature.
    Take a screenshot of the Summary info so we can see all the temps.
    And use a screnshot tool like Snipping Tool.

14. Digerati

And speccy in that screenshot is showing 14°C. That's just 57.2°F which is highly unlikely unless this computer is out in an unheated garage (assuming Northern Hemisphere).

15. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi All, mobo is not installed in a case because of this temp warning message which would probably explain the low temp on Speccy. I am attaching a summary report from Speccy which shows CPU at 14 deg C. Again thanks for all the help/advice on this.

Attached Files:

16. Eldon

Based on the temperatures of the Motherboard & HDD, the CPU's low temperature cannot be correct.
    Even when the PC is 'idling' the temp should be higher than the other two.

17. Digerati

And, since violating the Laws of Physics is pretty difficult ;), the idle temp MUST be higher than the ambient (room) temp too - at least with conventional (heatsink and fan) cooling.

18. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi All, have left computer running for 20 minutes, no load, temp still showing 13/14 deg C, normal room, no heating on, standard white thermal paste used and the original AMD fan, set at 200rpm and standard in BIOS, not sure if anything else to do, any advice greatly appreciated.

19. Digerati

If it is running with no problems, not sure there is anything to do.

20. hellsgrandad

hellsgrandad Private E-2

Hi All, again thanks for all the help/advice on this, I'll probably install this in a case over the weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

21. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Just for future reference here is the temp for my laptop to show you what the temp should be at normally.

Capture.PNG Capture 1.PNG

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds