Deleted Roxio now missing driver(s)?

Discussion in 'Software' started by AJBob13, Sep 18, 2008.

1. AJBob13

AJBob13 Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension B110 which I purchased years ago. It is running Windows XP Home. My computer has been running slow so I decided to clean it out. I followed the instructions in "Basic Computer Maintenance Everyone Should Do" here on the MajorGeeks Support Forums under FAQ's and during this process I uninstalled Roxio which came pre-installed on my computer. I have never used it and it just seemed to be taking up valuable space.

I am looking at purchasing software which will allow me to backup DVD's that I own so I downloaded the Demo Version of Real Clone DVD. Upon opening it I receive the following error message:

No DVD drives found! You may need to update your ASPI Layer....

After some "Googling" I learned that XP doesn't come with ASPI and it was suggested to download ForceASPI. I used ASPICHK and it still said that my ASPI was not properly installed. Then I installed the Adapttec ASPI drivers for Windows, but ASPICHK still said that my "ASPI is not properly installed. One or more components have been replaced with older versions of the Software."

I did some further Googling and found a thread which claimed that uninstalling Roxio deleted a necessary driver and that this driver would need to be repaired using the installation CD. I do have an installation CD, but I would like to know if this is even the case and if so how do I go about repairing the driver?

The thread that I was reading my not even pertain to my situation. Here is a link to the forum that talks about the missing driver:
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/156429-aspi.html

I know that this is actually a software issue not a driver issue, but I also deleted my Adobe Reader 8.1.1 and upgraded to to Adobe Reader 9 from www.adobe.com. This became an issue when add/remove programs was unable to uninstall Adobe Reader 8. I checked the Adobe support forum and found a solution. I downloaded Windows install clean up and used that to remove Adobe Reader 8. Then I downloaded the Adobe Reader 9. I found that although Adobe Reader 9 said that it was installed properly I was unable to open PDF files on the internet. (I use FireFox 3.) I uninstalled Adobe Reader 9 and downloaded Adobe Reader Lite 9 from MajorGeeks. This allowed me to view PDF files online. I thought that all was peachy until today when I tried to open a PDF file that I saved to my hard drive. Every time I tried to open it I got a message the Adobe encountered a problem and had to close...sorry for the inconvenience. I became so fed up with adobe that I came back to MajorGeeks and downloaded Foxit. However, Foxit only works on some of the PDF files I have on my hard drive. One of the very important documents that I saved a while back gives me this message:

This PDF form requires a newer version of Adobe Reader. Without a newer version, the form may be displayed, but it might not work properly. Some form elements might not be visible at all. If an internet connection is available, clicking OK will download and install the latest version.

Please help! :cry

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First step would be to check Device Manager. Look there for any errors. ( ? or ! )
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

Post what you see.

Also all drivers for the B110 are here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...emID=DIM_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

I have a Dell B110, that I use for a test platform.
    Device Manager shows that I have an:
    Optiarc DVD+RW ND 3507A for my DVD drive and the driver for it is a MS one.
    That doesn't mean that you have the same DVD though.

3. AJBob13

AJBob13 Private E-2

I actually did this yesterday and the only "!" I saw was the PCI Simple Communication. I clicked on it and was given an option to update. At this time I have no "!" or "?".

DVD/CD-ROM Drives:
    HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B

Disk Drivers:
    WDC WD1600JB-75GVC0

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is the Firmware for the DVD you have:
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=32&fileid=173334
    Try installing that to solve your problem, if it doesn't you may have to try a repair install, using your Dell OS disc. This should not harm your apps or personal data, but might be a good idea to back it up, first.

5. AJBob13

AJBob13 Private E-2

I have tried both of your suggestion and neither worked for me.

When I downloaded the firmware I got a message saying, "Lower or same version of firmware." I clicked "OK" and continued with the download anyway, but it did not fix the problem.

Then I tried the repair install but that did not fix the issue either. Funny thing though after the repair install I got a set-up screen for my Adobe Reader 9. I guess that it did some good!

But back to my no DVD driver error...."No DVD Drives found! You may need to update your ASPI Layer."

What do we do now? :confused

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

7. AJBob13

AJBob13 Private E-2

I have:

Local Disk (C:)
    Backup (D:)
    CD Drive (E:)

I don't see any Roxio references in Windows Install CleanUp

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I did some looking around and the Force ASPI should install your drivers if you run it from DOS. This was the post I found that worked. I think what the poster means is to open the Command Prompt from All Programs>Acessories>System Tools.

9. AJBob13

AJBob13 Private E-2

Sorry to go AWAL on you. The whole house got hit with a bad case of the stomach flu.

I am not sure that I follow your instructions. I don't know much about DOS so as a general rule I just stay out of there. I unzipped Force ASPI to the TEMP folder under the C drive. Double clicking on INSTASPI opens a DOS window and gives me the following information:

InstASPI 1.7
    Windows NT or 2000 Detected.
    Windows is in : C:\WINDOWS
    Installing files...
    +WINASPI.DLL
    +WOWPOST.EXE
    +WNASPI32.DLL
    +ASPI32.SYS

Add Registry Settings....
    Done!

Adeptec ASPI 4.60 <1021> installed.
    Reboot your PC to make the changed active.
    Press any Key to continue...

Well, after reboot the No Driver problem still existed. As that was not actually what you had instructed me to do I went to Command Prompt. Again, DOS is before my time. I tried "RUN INSTASPI" and got this message:

'run' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What am I doing wrong? I am going to have to pick up a copy of DOS for Dummies!

10. AJBob13

AJBob13 Private E-2

UPDATE:

No Driver error is gone and my ASPICHK is giving me the green light! I ended rebooting in Safemode to try to deal with my Adobe nightmare and when I booted back into regular mode I decided to check and see if Force ASPI took this time. It did! :clap I have ran INSTASPI two previous times exactly like I did today, and had no luck. Don't ask me why it's working.

Well, all is well with my drivers, but I think I may be on to the Software thread. :(

Thank you for all your help! :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds