DEVICE hookup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by littlebobbie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. littlebobbie

littlebobbie Private First Class

:) Hi peoples... I have a question to ask and I know this is where I will find the help I need. I have a 4g MIFI wireless modem/router device. It broadcasts to all my house. What I want to hook up is a Seagate 4 TB cloud type backup drive. It needs an Ethernet connection and the MIFI device does not have one. So I guess what I am looking for is an adapter or a converter or whatever to make the two work. Anyone out there know what I am talking about and give me some advice?:confused

2. ajTheGeek

ajTheGeek Private E-2

Assuming you have a computer with an internet connection and an ethernet port, you could buy a cross over cable and share your network connection. Or buy a network switch and plug both your backup drive and computer into the switch making sure you share your computers network connection.

3. littlebobbie

Okay can you break this down to like elementary level. I can put a computer together but the technical part is where I get lost. What is a crossover cable? What is a network switch. What I have is a MIFI with an external antenna hanging in my window. This sends out a signal to all the computers in my home and is password protected. The "cloud" drive only has an ethernet plug , power plug and USB, the MIFI does not. It either uses a battery or electric to operate. I could theoretically take it with me but I don't.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You could get a wireless media bridge. It's for integrating wired networked devices into a wireless network.

5. littlebobbie

will do a search on that and see what I come up with. Don't want to go buying alot of stuff that is totally useless to me. Thank you

6. ajTheGeek

ajTheGeek Private E-2

Ok, a cross over cable is an ethernet cable that lets two devices communicate directly with each other without going through a router or switch. A switch is a network device that allows different computers on the network communicate with each other.
    Example switch.
    The idea with the switch is that you plug your internet connected computer into one port on the switch and your cloud backup drive into another port. This way they can communicate. You would need to share your internet connection allowing the backup drive internet access via the switch. You would also need two ethernet cables (patch cables) to plug into the switch. Don't rush into this solution though - I am not familiar with MiFi devices and somebody else may have a better solution.

7. littlebobbie

I am searching out my options but have to do something or return the device while there is time to get a refund. I really would like to make this a workable solution to my backing up. I have 3 externals that I use now to back up my files and have had some failures there.
    thank you for the info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds