DVD won't read Dual Layer DVD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pastorweldy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. pastorweldy

pastorweldy Private E-2

Greetings, I am new at this, but will do my best. I have a Dell Demension E521 Desktop that came with Vista. I had so many problems with Vista I reformatted it with XP Professional SP2. Now my DVD Drive does not read dual layer Software DVD's. I have several Dual Layer Software DVD's, but it won't read any of them. It will read all others. I have installed all drivers from Dell's website pertaining to this application. No luck. I started to buy a new DVD but I'm not convinced yet that is the problem. DVD is made by LG. Please Help!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Welcome to MG. :)

Exactly what model of LG drive is it?

4. pastorweldy

pastorweldy Private E-2

It is a HLDS GSA-H31N HH SATA 16X DVD+/-RW. I checked on the net and it is supposed to be made my LG. I have downloaded the drivers from Dell, but still will not read dual layer software discs. I bought a cleaner and tried that, but same problem. I was told you could find aftermarket drivers, but I didn't have any luck with that. I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Can you confirm this was what you downloaded?

6. pastorweldy

pastorweldy Private E-2

Yes that is what I downloaded. Now it has an error message that says, "none of optical disc driver." Also, I've developed another problem now. The disc drive won't even open now. I'm beginning to think my drive is shot.

7. pastorweldy

pastorweldy Private E-2

My DVD Drive is working again, however; it plays music CD's, Movies, Software DVD's, but still will not read a dual layer software DVD. I have several Software DVD's and when placed in the drive it's like nothing is there. Surely I'm not the only one who has ever experienced this. I have tried everything I can think of. Please Help! I don't know what to do!
    Peace,
    Bobby

8. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you got the latest firmware update for your drive? Should be B110.A04 I believe.

9. pastorweldy

pastorweldy Private E-2

Yes, I made sure that was correct. I have ordered a Lite-On DVD that is supposed to be here Thursday or Friday. I'm not sure if that will fix it. :cry It is a better player than the one I have. I am highly confused at this point. Thanks for responding.

10. islavistablake

islavistablake Private E-2

i just had this happen to me, do you know how you got it working again?

I was updating my driver, and the system crashed mid process, dvd bay will not open what-so-ever. i'm so angry it hurts.

11. conrad7

conrad7 Private E-2

i am trying to reinstall widows xp on my computer but it stops during installation
    then i get an message that a dll file is missing or corrupt I also tried to format the drive
    but i get the same message Could you help me?

12. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

islavistablake- You tried to respond to a thread that is 8 months old and you should start your own thread.

Conrad7- You should really start your own thread instead of hijacking an 8 month old thread. Try cleaning your installation CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds