External Harddrive Inaccessible for Formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delltop, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Delltop

Delltop Private E-2

I have a 4 month old 1.5 TB WD external harddrive connected to my Windows 7 Dell laptop. About three weeks ago, the harddrive quit working. Any attempts to access it caused my computer to freeze. I tried opening it directly, accessing through command prompt, and plugging the drive in to another computer. No luck. I tried deleting files via command prompt. No luck. I opened disk manager. Tried to reinstall the driver. Still nothing.

I've finally concluded that my best bet is probably to format the drive and start over. My only problem is that I can't find a way to access the drive long enough to wipe it. Right clicking for the menu that would normally offer formatting causes the computer to lock up. Opening the device manager simply yields as "connecting to virtual disk system" message and a grayed out window.

As I purchased it through an online retailer, not the manufacturer, I'm not certain that I'll be able to replace it under warranty, but I'd rather not do anything that voids the warranty just in case. All help you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. Recovering data would be great, but at this point I'd be delighted to just have a way to start over.

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi when you plug in the drive to a Windows PC what in Disk Management is listed as for example this drive is listed as RAW or otherwise you can format it easily.

If you cannot connect the USB Drive via one port try another and if toy get it to connect look in Device Manager and USB branch and delete any USB Mass Driver listings then re-plug in your xHDD and see if the drive letter is recognised.

If the drive is not recognised at all in Dev Manager or Disk Manager then try formatting via command prompt and below will wipe and format a drive, so hope you do not need any data on that drive.

If data is not really needed on that drive then the below may help format the drive

3. Delltop

Delltop Private E-2

Hi David,

Thank you for your help.

My external drive is assigned the letter D. Obviously keeping the data would be preferable, but none of it is irreplaceable, so I am comfortable wiping it.

I've had a couple of results (non-resolving) today.

• 1 • When I opened the Disk Manager first and plugged in the drive second, the manager still froze, but when I unplugged the drive again, the DM asked if I wanted to format D. So I plugged D in again and clicked yes. It froze again. So the command went out, but it did not format. I left it plugged in for about fifteen minutes. Ordinarily, if I plug in and then open DM, I get no data. Just a grey screen and the "connecting to virtual disk service" message with no resolution.
    • 2 • I opened CMD as Admin. As long as the drive is plugged in, the disk part freezes and will not function. Once I remove the external drive, disk part works just fine.
    • 3 • On my third or fourth Disk Part attempt, I plugged the disk in after I opened Disk Part, but before List Disk, and once My Computer said D was connected, I chose List Disk, but it only listed my main harddrive (C = 0). I typed in select disk 1 (figuring 1 is after 0), but it said there was no Disk 1.

Does that give you any more thoughts? I'd be glad to screencap anything you think might help you get a better idea of the situation.

Thanks!

4. Delltop

Delltop Private E-2

Finally got through to someone. Replacing it under warranty. Thanks so much for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds