Filehippo Update Checker

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Dec 22, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    Win 10 is not made for this program but being backwards compatible I thought it would be OK. I know most high level techs prefer to check each program without a 3rd party app, but I find using Secunia and the above that I stayed up to date. Since Windows Ten I gt an error, 404.
    I have read about the SUMO and the caveats.
    Ninite seems to be OK but some reviews were negative, regarding false positives.

Could you tell me, if you are a File Hippo Update Checker user, if you have trouble with it on Win 10?
    TQ
    Peter

2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I would not recommend it.Mainly due to the fact it bugs you all the time.Just install it manually.Auto checkers like file hippo are known to be a major problem.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

How do you install manually as opposed to download and run?
    I don't plan on using the app but am curious about the manual procedure.

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Command Sergeant Major

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Kyle, I wanted to suggest SUMo, but it can no longer be downloaded from MajorGeeks.
    Any reason why not?

6. Kyle_Katarn

As agreed with Jon, because, MG propose it's own updater service.
    SUMo can be downloaded from http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Do you mean update and not install? That would involve going to each app and seeing if it needs an update. Many times I get notice from Secunia or(used to) from FileHippo abut flsh and java and some apps I don'rt see or would not regularly check. etc.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I know Secunia and File Hippo did different things;one was for vulnerabilities and the other for updates. Would SUMO with Secunia be a duplication or is it like File Hippo? It would be good if it took the place of FileHippo which I am dropping and then Secunia would do its thing and Sumo do its different thing?

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

SUMo is the best updater PROVIDING you make sure you load the Lite version. The full version is loaded with 3rd party stuff just nobody wants. You can forget Secunia with SUMo.

DavidGP likes this.
  10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I read about that issue with the full version. So if Secunia and SUMO are doing the same thing unlike File Hippo I still need an app that does what File Hippo did.

Secunia was about security and FileHippo is about new versions.

11. Earthling

Secunia and SUMo are not doing the same thing, SUMo tells you about ALL updates it knows about, including security. SUMo replaces File Hippo. You choose which programs you want updated and which to leave for now or to ignore forever. Why not try these programs yourself and see which suit you?

DavidGP likes this.
  12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

SUMo is a software updater.

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thanks guys;I'll give SUMo lite a shot and keep Secunia.

14. Earthling

SUMo only tells you which of your softwares have updates available. Unlike Secunia it's left to the user to find and install the updates.

15. Kyle_Katarn

Thank you !

16. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I use only SUMo for update checking since it is the most complete solution.
    FileHippo Updater checks only software that Filehippo offers at their site.
    Secunia focuses primarily on software that carries the greatest security risks when out of date.
    They have expanded it over the years to cover more software to make it more appealing to more users.

SUMo covers the largest base. Any software that is being monitored by any SUMo user gets added to the central database.
    As soon as one user updates a specific software to its latest version and then runs the SUMo app, that becomes the version that is checked against every SUMo user.
    The larger the community, the better it gets.

It's easy to Add a program to the SUMo check list that isn't detected during a Scan.
    Currently, I've got more than twenty portable apps on a second hard drive that are being checked by SUMo.

When something needs updating, I either go to MajorGeeks or use a bookmarked download link. I run it every day.
    The SUMo thread in the MG forums always has a link to the download page for the latest version of SUMo.

If you get the ZIP package, you'll always get a 'clean' package.

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for the very comprehensive explanation of SUMo. I'm going to look into it.

18. Kyle_Katarn

Thanks !

Regarding SUMo PRO, which adds more features to SUMo, as member of the Major Geeks community, you can contact me if you want a discount on the licence price :)
    ... and of course anytime you need support !

Eldon likes this.
  19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I posted to SUMo [Mantis is their help] as it reports that NVIDEA has two features that need updating. NVIDEA's site reports no updates so I considered thsi a false positive.

20. Kyle_Katarn

Thanks !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds