Folding@Home running commentary thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Sep 18, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Heh, nps buddy ;)

We are getting there :D

2. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

In went another Tinker today think will be 241 points ,,and new WU is this...Glenn

p696_L939_K12M_Raleigh Point 235.00 Frame 400 TINKERDescription

We have been running simulations for 10 months now for project 638, in an attempt to fold the largest, most complex, slowest folding target to date. We call it L939 K12M - which means that it is the first 39 residues of the L9 ribosomal protein and that residue 12, formerly a Lysine (K) has been mutated to a Methionine (M). Projects 693 and 694 (more to come soon) complement the previous NTL9 work. Specifically, all of the previous simulations study the behaviour of the wild-type molecule which should be directly comparable to a great deal of experimental information generated in the Raleigh lab at SUNY. One especially, fascinating question that we hope to address: Why does the mutation of one amino acid (K12M) double the folding speed for these molecules?

3. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

moving on up...........
    fromm 54 to 40 now :)

4. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

In addition Installed Folding back on Daughetrs laptop,,set it to get Gromacs,,more suited to her PC this unit is what ot is running,,,Glenn

p724_ Abeta21-43-amberGS Point 63.00 Frame 100 GROMACSDescription

The aggregation of the Beta Amyloid peptide (Abeta, also known as Alzheimer's peptide) is thought to be responsible for nerve cell death in Alzheimer's Disease. Understanding what causes these peptides to aggregate could help scientists direct their search for possible drugs that can cure or at least relieve the symptoms of Alzheimers

These are tetramer simulations (picture above), simulating four Abeta chains in explicit water, studying how they come together and what the tetramer looks like. These are amongst the most demanding WUs so far because of the large system size. There have been some technical problems with the WU but with the help of the feedback from folders on beta, we have narrowed down the possible causes and hopefully P724 will not have any problems.

I HOPE LOL,,,will see if it decompresses when done LOL,,Glenn

5. rmsubasic

rmsubasic XP-38 Spacemodulator

Grats to the Gristmeister for making a ranking of 6000!!!! :)

6. smokinbls

wow i found somthing very interesting on another site ........

this can not be true it would be over 400 computers

OC-Xeons will have 1000ghz of CPU power folding by this weekend, an amazing figure, which is why he is the worlds #1 folder.

7. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Smokin went to look them up ,,,seems they also tabulate the users that don't enter a team # thats cheating LOL

Team Rankings -- Team 'OC-Xeons ' 1 0 Default (includes all those WU returned without valid team number)

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py

8. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Thankyou kind sir, there are 378,000 folders and I just broke the 6000 mark :D:D:D Glad you posted about it, being humble and shy as I am I probably would have never mentioned it.

9. rmsubasic

Whilst I am pleased to point out the good deads of others, methinks it may be time for me to start making a run for the top. Watch for the next few weeks...It's time for the top to feel less lonely for the gristmeister! ;)

10. smokinbls

how many puters are you guys folding with
    are they all p.4's

11. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I'm ready, bring it on!!! And I hope you and cooked and any and everybody else passes me. That doesn't mean I'm slowing down but I do love a good race.

Smokin I'm running a 2.80 and two 2.53's P4's and a 3200 and 2400 AMD. The 3200 is by far the fastest of the lot

12. rmsubasic

I am running a 2.8 HT P4, an Athlon XP 2500 (OC to 2600 -- I'm a risk taker!), an athlon 2.0 and 1.6. All my machines are working doing other things as well as folding. One is my primary work machine (the 2.8), and another is the primary home machine (four of us sharing that one). That's my setup -- for now. May add significant firepower here shortly because nobody else seems to want to run with the big dog. :cool:

13. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

RMUS, on your 2.8 HT,,do you run with the HT enabled..if so you can disable it to run FASTER

I have same processor...by disabling the HT you can run 100% of processor !!! on folding ,,,enabled only on 50 % Glenn...if you need set up advise please let me know , Glenn:)

14. rmsubasic

Thanks for the advice. Yes, thanks to advice from this board, I have been running with HT disabled for some time now. Thanks to all who volunteer their time to help.

15. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

You bet,,probably from one of my posts about HT teck have advised a few people about the possibilitys,,,,,,LOL glad you have the info,,,,,Glenn :)

16. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

so i have pulled a 40 frame tinker. i can't help but laugh. or and guys on top, watch out i will be buiding two computer for christmas, both souly for folding. should be interesting once i get those going.

eric

17. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Eric,,Stanford may be sending you smaller work units, they calculate turn around speed,,,I know in my p3 that is slow,,will load a gromac or a small tinker like that,,,,On my P4 with FAST turn around, I always pull A large WU, Glenn

they may indeed target units out,,,

will be interesting to see how long that tinker runs,,,and points LOL

18. rmsubasic

What stats will the new boxes have?? I am just about to build two AMD 2000 machines with 512 MB RAM. Any opinions on that?

19. smokinbls

i now think that it is time for me to spend some cash and get a new computer. ( my celeron is f'ed up big time now and there is a finished 250 frame gromac on it waiting to be sent in )
    there is a store by me ( circuit city ) that is selling a compac celeron D processor 325 Desktop 2.53 ghz 256kb l2 Cache, 533mhz FSB
    and 256mb DDR-dram memory for 369 dollars.
    so with the last of my cash ( almost ) i might go out and get it...
    and then wait to build my new one later.
    what a decision i have to make

to anyone who reads this.
    get a good firewall
    and get some sort of anti virus

NO MATTER WHAT ANY ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS MIGHT SAY ABOUT YOU NOT NEEDING THEM.....

20. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

that 40 frame tinker ran for like 4 hours on my p4. i just pulled a 200 frame tinker. so glenn, after that mod in the settings i have pulled 2 tinkers in a row. congrats so far.

eric

21. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Glad it worked Eric,,Glenn

22. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Whew!
    Glad that's done!
    @mgrist: Or anyone else who has interest in a bash script that will output
    the names of the team members & their scores...
    I have a script now. Laugh if you want, but, it works! (at least, on my machine). It is part of a bigger project, but, maybe you will like to play with it.

You may want to rename it first with the command

mv lynxer.txt lynxer.sh

then make the script executable with the command:

chmod a+x lynxer.sh

and then execute it from the command line with the command:

./lynxer.sh

You can then read the output of the text file called cleangoods.txt with
    the command
    more cleangoods.txt

I have attached it as a text file here in this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  23. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

finished the 400 frame tinker sometime today. am working on a 20 frame tinker. not sure of points. just thought we were posting progress. home for 20 minutes then off back to school for a prep-class. damn i am tired, oh well grunt and bear it.

eric

24. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

WOW we are moving on up, we are at 436 now. If we can keep this pace or quicken it we should be darn close to the top 100 by x-mas. Now that would be cool!
    Robster I've not done anything with the script, am barely touching my Linux computer or the others for that matter. I've got a router sitting on my desk now and will hopefully beable to get it going so I can get Linux on the high speed internet. Once I do I'll be switching back to the Linux computers for play and work. WORK yea right :D

25. rmsubasic

If we continue at our current point output pace, we'll not be in the top 100 by Christmas. On the other hand, if we keep our current rate of acceleration (unlikely) we could make it by Christmas easily. It looks to me like we've gotten some great new contributors recently, and even though I am a junior member (3 weeks) of the team I want to say thanks for all the effort from the new guys as well as the pace setters (mgrist and many others) and all the other contributors. We're really doing great, and for those who haven't been around long enough to know it, it's our goal to make it into the top 100 folding teams. In just the last few weeks, as a team ranking, we’ve gone from being well back in the 600’s to being nicely into the 400’s.

Keep up the good work gang! :)

26. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

so are tinkers worth more than grmacs? i have been getting very small tinkers since i did glenns little mod, and i am not sure this is worth more than those big gromacs i was getting. so should i stick with the tinkers?

eric

27. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

I know I am happier with the big frame Gromacs on my 2 big boxes (XP2700 and Cele 2.5Ghz), as they are usually done in a few hours and put out some good points (100+ per unit), whilst my little box (Athlon 1.0) seems to do better on 100 frame Tinkers (The gromacs seem to bog it down for days whilst Tinkers take hours). But I noticed I started getting Tinkers on my two big boxes, usually 125 framers, which were taking around 4-5 hours a time but I was only getting something like a paltry 20-30 points per unit.

I am back to getting Gromacs on the big boxes again now (did nothing different, just luck I suppose) and my points have once again started flying up.

So, for me at least, Gromacs seem to give higher points for the time required on the units. Others may have different experiance, but I am gonna try and stick to the big-ass Gromacs (bring on those 10,000 framers!!)

28. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Arrg. I keep getting past!!!!!!!

What kinda systems do some of you people have!!!!

I am going to have to bust out my secret weapon. (this one is better then goldies) I need to install Folding on all 200+ P4 computers at my school!!!! That should put us up there!!! And me. :) [​IMG]

:cool:

cooked

29. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

i tried that at my school, but my comp. science teacher said he couldn't becuase they were school computers. sucks, cuase that would have put me on TOP. (there were 697 p4's in that school that he has control over)

eric

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  30. smokinbls

i am just running a pent.1 233mghz. this thing is fast....... :rolleyes:

really a p.4 2.8 and a celeron 700mghz and soon a p.3 900 mghz. and buy christmas 2 more celeron 2.53ghz or 2 amd 3200+ it depends on my cash flow

31. Robster12

Shucks, I just wasted a work unit. It happens sometimes. Not quite sure how it happened this time, think it was because I accessed its partition w/ another distro. Oh well. I'm cranking as we speak.

@ mgrist:
    that script is just a part of the "project". Its nothing special to anyone but me... yet!

Yes.
    We are STILL moving at a good clip. We definitely have NOT hit a wall yet.

Goldie's good at these projections. We can all keep in mind friends/family that we may be able to recruit from time to time. So far, so good.

Steady as she goes! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

32. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Eric,,you may indeed be recieving smaller tinkers because of turn around time of your machine,,,My tinkers pulled are all 400 frams and throw off at least 235 points ,,but able to turn around in 48 hrs,,,also just pulled 2 large gromaces 5000 frame each,,,and running 12 hurs each about 100 pionts,, This is on P4 2.8 machine,,,,It may just be Stanford,,,or may be because of turn around time, Glenn

@ robster,,sorry you dumped one,,,I lost 3 in 2 days ,,last week lol...

33. rmsubasic

That would make an awsome team by itself! Recruit, recruit, recruit!!!

34. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Lug if people just join us,,and they have been folding before,,,the old WU's show up on the data..only once joined our team do we show thier points, Glenn,,

PS go look at your site LOLOL:p

35. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

so glenn, is there a reason these 40 frame tinkers are taking the same time as the 1000+ frame gromacs i was pulling? which are worth more points, tinkers or gromacs?

eric

36. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Very glad to have you aboard !!! doing quite well, for your 3 weeks for sure,,I have been at it about 6 weeks anyway,,Fold Away !!! Glenn

@ Overcooked

main P4 2.8 HT 1 gig DDR SRAM 333 ,,,FSB 533

P3 474 MHZ 265 ram our den computer,,slowly chugging along

P2 300 MHZ at dads,,slowly a unit here and there also a laptop same specks

and finally daughters old thinkpad P2 266mhz LOL a unit every 3 weeks or so

5 total,,P4 does most the work,,,

ALL HELPS !!! Glenn

37. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I've got three machines running this now. Looking for some more. :)

38. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Tinkers are more complex WU's,,you may be better suited to the gromacs on your PC

tinkers 400 frames throw off more points,,,large gromacs throw off decent points

39. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Opps sorry ment for Overcooked to look at his site LOL sorry, Glenn

40. Robster12

A man on a mission.
    Yes.
    I need more hardware, too.
    I can justify it by knowing that I can then work with the networking stuff.

Kind of hard to do that with only one box!

:rolleyes: :p :p :p :p :p :)

41. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

What happened to the notebook computer?
    You know you really need to be hurrying up on this folding, you've got three or four guys that are getting ready to fly by you very soon. But then you have had that happen before. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

42. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hello all, turned in a 5000 frame gromac that ran 14 hrs and running another gromac 2500 frames,,,that is more complex and is 24 hours run time on P4,,based on the current frame,,, and P3 is half way 200 on a 400 frame tinker,,and daughters laptop is 25 of a 125 frame Complex gromac...dads PC's 225 of a 400 frame tinker will go in Monday...and his tower is at 100 of a 400 tinker chugging along,,,Glenn

43. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Seems my 3 machines keep pulling 400 frame Tinkers that take about 4 days to complete. My machines are all ~1GHz CPUs.

44. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

What version of the software are you using,,,may be able to turn around the gromacs faster,,on the 1ghz machines,,I can tell you settings to retrieve them, Glenn

45. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

well i have pulled a 400 frame tinker again. this is good cuase i was tired of watching the 40 framers go in.

eric

46. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

It's the 5.02 GUI version. I'm not complaining mind you, but if you think it would be more helpful to the cause...

I could care less about my score, only that it is a good cause.

47. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Maybe a trial on one machine;) ,,,yes good cause,,,and the faster you complete the better for Stanford,,some PC's just churn through the gromacs easier then the big tinkers,,,,So if you care to have a go on one machine this is the config change:D , ,on the config panel advanced tab,,select STANDARD units,,see if your next WU is a gromac,,also how it runs,,some of the standard gromacs would run 2 days for you,,based on the calculation I run a Tinker in 2-3 days max 2.8mhz here,, gromacs that are releasing I tun on my P4 in 12 to 18 hrs,,and throw off around 100-150 points,,,also Today I recieved a LARGE gromac that will take 24 hrs ,,,on my PC,,Glenn

Let me know how it goes !!:)

48. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hello all,,,turned in that 2500 frame complex Gromac WU,,,rendered 246 points:) and ran close to 30 hrs,,also seemed to be more demanding on my processor,,,machine ran a little hotter then usual,,and had some cycling of my fans tick up to a faster pace to defuse the heat,,,Also A new find of mine,,My Laptop has 2 NICE size fans on the bottom as intakes that blow through copper/allunium heat fins,,,BUT there is a third fan,:cool: ,did a system annalisis using Everast utility,,and a 3rd fan,,was detected:D ,,,guess it is there for a specific reason,,,this P4 is a monster of a laptop,,LOL,,a desktop replacement computer,,,,Hope all are having a good weekend so far,,and enjoy the rest, Glenn

49. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

hey glenn, paused my folding for a bit while i played some diablo :D , damn i love that game. anyway i got about 100 frames left on a 400 frame tinker. should be in by monday morning. speeds varies on my computer for this thing. check your PM glenn.

eric

50. smokinbls

i just got a 25000 frame gromac.........yes i said 25000
    this thing will take for ever to do

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds