Folding@Home running commentary thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Sep 18, 2004.

1. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Congrats on making it to the boards,,feels goo to see that first unit in !!! Glenn

2. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

No Brainer Glenn LOL Yes, why not try a version that doesn't have the part that seems to be the prob? DUH! I'm trying it now and I'll let ya know.

3. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Seems to be working fine....except if anyone else installs this one make sure to make a folder for it! LOL No monitor problem but I haven't checked to see what work unit I'm doing.

4. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

YES FOLDER sorry no heads up,,if launched from desktop,,creates all the log files on desk,,,opps LMAO,,glad its working !!!!!!

move all to folder and restart

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  5. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

I just erased and reinstalled... but now thats its working I can't seem to enter cammands to see what Im working on??? although I have finished 3 frames so I know Im not working on the same as the other 2.

6. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

In the folder is there a log file created,,if so ,,,as the program runs it will write the steps complete, also the unit type ETC, Glenn???

also be carefull if you close the box,,,the program MAY LOOSE DATA...Glenn

minimize only !!!

PS if you GOLFISH online he has most experiance with the text only !!! give him a PM

7. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Hi everyone!

I formated my HDD, and reinstalled windows. I am back up and folding again. I just played around with my settings, and i loaded a 200 frame tinker. Set to be done in 5 hours.

I will send in a small Gromac from my P3, and a just loaded a 500 frame Gromac on my Cele due to finish by christmas..lol :D

:cool:

cooked

8. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Good deal cooked, now maybe you get get ahead of that pesky bluesguy :D:D

9. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

Eeeekkkk!!!

I got hung up last night, then got frustrated and ended up having to push the off button.....so I just went to bed.....this morning when I turned it back on.....I'd lost it all.......I could scream.....me and my little Celeron and I'm back to 0/2500!!! :mad: I checked the log file and yup, it's back to square one......I may never get this gromac finished!! :eek:
    Oh well, such is life !

10. rmsubasic

rmsubasic XP-38 Spacemodulator

Re: Eeeekkkk!!!

Adding to the good news, I can’t seem to get my new AMD 3200 running. I’ve had to roll back to the 2200. Bummer.

mgrist, watch out from below, Ironsnipe seems to be coming on very strong!

11. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Well all I too have had problems my P3 hung up 2 days ago,,not wanting to lose the unit I just let the PC run for 2 days thinking the unit may complete,,,well today thought given enough time,,,I stated the process of a shut down,,,,the power button would not shut down,,,so I pulled the plug, and then when restating,,,,LUCKY,,the unit was at 2600 of 5000...

This may to apply to all that freeze up....do not power down with the power button if hug,,,pull the plug !!! them goes through a scandisk and restored info !!!

Butterfly this may have worked for you to , to save the unit,,this is not based only on the P3 error,,,my daughters laptop, had hung up,,a restart with the power swith lost dada,,,a removal of the battery, saved the data,,,Glenn

sorry to hear of all the folding hardship,,,,,

12. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

I've lost the alienware laptop because the roomate i guess didn't like it running, so i lost a 2.8ghz P4C with 512 of ram, but i'm still coming on strong.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

13. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

I forgot to say before, but i still have 6 people in my suite at college here that i haven't asked to run it yet. So when i get the guts to ask them i will.

14. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Yep your moving on up, you are now the third person in the blue at this link
    http://stats.geekfolding.com/viewteam.php?team=12072/ Blue is good but you'll never catch me ha ha ho ho he he :D:D:D

15. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

I have done it!!!! Im on the board(#64) and rising!! Yeehaaaww! Cannot wait to break into the top 50! :cool: :cool: :p :)

16. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Congrats,,Having that first unit in,,,sure does feel good :D LOL,,I will hit the 100 unit mark,,after I send in this next unit in about a half hour !!! Glenn:) :) :)

17. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

yeah i remember my first one, it felt great.

glenn congrats on hitting #100. thats a milestone, save that certificate. :D :p

eric

18. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hey all I have hit 100 WU's,:cool: and have 3-200 plus point units going in in the next 24 hrs , Glenn:D :D :D

glennk721 8833.56 100

19. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

where the 100 unit cert. glenn? that one is for 8000 points, which isn't shabby either.

eric

20. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

21. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

eric it takes a day or so to update the certs also must click on the 100 only

22. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

wow he are in to the 200's that is great.
    now that i can catch up with life. i can send in the work from both computers....
    both are 2500 gromacs..
    i want a 10,000 fram tinker ( i read about it on another site, not sure if it true.)
    it gave huge points. i think i read something like 5000 points :eek:

23. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL I'll run one of those ANYTIME..if its on my P4 LMAO

24. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Here is the Cert,,yeeeeeehhaaaaaa

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  25. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

HEY CONGRATS!!!

At the rate I'm going, I'll never make that, but it's nice to see someone do it!!

26. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

yeah sorry bout that glenn, i thought the
    was all ony big link, not two different ones. congrats. again.

eric

27. rmsubasic

Hang in there butterfly, it all counts and goes to a great cause.

28. butterfly123

butterfly123 Private E-2

Oh, I'll hang in there, alright.....it's too important not to!!!!!!!

Had another scare a little while ago......my Antivirus sent me an email to upgrade because of a vulnerability, so of course I did it right away.....and in all the downloading and trying to get the new set up........I was waiting for something and checked my Folding progress......and it said 0/00......I thought OMG not again......I've already started over on that WU once because of some stupid hang up mess..... :mad: ........but fortunately this time it was okay......I rebooted and the problem I was having with my AV was fixed and my progress on my WU was at least back to where I was on the second go round....... :eek:

29. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Thanks Butterfly..yes all helps,,I have lost about 10 WU.s since the start of my folding,,power surges due to the hurricane,, and also the hang up on the P3 lost data onece then a scare,,,so secound attempt is almost finished,,probably by late tonite, also 11 days of now power. from the storms so out of 2 month's of folding,,alot of mishaps and time lost...

On the brite side my friend with his new HP AMD 2500 is churning away, and he also recomended my services to a friend of his that has 2 PC's and also is a cancer suvivor, I will be building and maintaining a website for,,,we spoke last nite for about 1 hr,,,in the conversation was FOLDING to find a cause for cancer !!! well he wantsto set up his new laptop, folding, the 2nd at the moment is a older PC hes want me to direct the buying of a new PC for business and website,,,so This comming monday or tues when we meet ,,,will start up his laptop,,,and once new PC arives that as well !!! as well,,,recomending a P4 4+++ processor,,,he's very well off,,and wants the best,,,so it will be a strong cruncher !!!

looking to add 3 new machines to data crunching SOON !!!

look out all Im going to be pushing ,,,hard SOON,,also upgrading my den computer P3 buying a new tower only !!have all else,,,see what I can afford,,and get the best bang for buck,,,will let you guys know what I add to the team folding for MG !!! Glenn

also the P3 will still be doing its thing LOL a unit here and there.....

30. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

I have a question........So does the console and the graphical set you up on two different accounts? Or can you get them merged somehow. If you look on the list you'll see that I'm #60 and #72----I have the same user name on all??? Anyone know? Do I just have to stick to one type of interface?

Never mind!!! I just noticed that the next user name is mispelled DUH! I must have done it at my store comp. so much for typing classes :rolleyes:

31. smokinbls

has anyone else noticed that Brian_smith has been flying up the chart.
    2 weeks ago he was at 1200 now he is very close to 5000.

watch out glenn i think he has you in his sites.

nice score on the friends puters glenn.
    i am still trying to get a friend of mine to do the same. he has at least 5 p. 4 2.8 computers, and at least 10 misc. computers.

32. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Boy it's a good thing I've got a good lead. There are a bunch of you fixing to get into a lot of crunching pretty soon. Mr. Basic and I are the only ones averaging over 2500 points a week right now but that looks like it's getting ready to change. Bring it on guys, bring it on!!!
    By the way rmsubasic has been steady gaining on me this last week or so and is due to overtake me in April if I don't do something. I think he has sneaked in a couple of computers that we don't know about :D:D:D I'll have something more going within the month to slow him down a bit. :)

33. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

smokin could really care less where on the board,,,as time passes we will all shift positions,,just glad to contribute !!! but will be a strong contendor LOL

LOL Listen to this, LOL ,secound computer from my closet..a IBM Aptiva with a AMD 475 3d-now processor..powered rite up,,!!! :cool: just need to install a modem card ,,,somewhere laying around the house,,,,or to my LAN via a card, ,and get a MB battery,and its up and crunching also LOL my den is packed 3 computers 2 monitors,2 keyboards ,and mice ,and all DSL and wirless router lighths flashing away LOL,,Wife named it Mission Control LMAO:)

makes 7 computers 6 running and the new one up after a trip to radio shack tomorrow LOL

besides the new one to planning to buy the beginning of the month as finances allow,,will make 8 total....3 primary,,and 5 just chugging along !!!

@Mgrist,,need to keep that 475 processor now LOL,,,sorry buddie one less for the grand kids to play with hehehehehe

34. smokinbls

i love how we all know that it is for a good cause, but we are all after the top spot at the same time.
    there are alot of people in our group who started out with 1 computer and now have 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 computers all folding.
    in to the 100's here we come :) :) :) :)

35. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Dudes!
    I am *** personal friends *** with that guy! I see him face to face from time to time!

Hey smokinbls:
    Nah, he ain't got glennk721 in his sites...

...he's looking for mgrist!!!

<sound effects from scary movie play here>

:D :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  36. rmsubasic

I'm trying my best to be the first one to the gristmeister. I've been held up by a bad CPU that I've had to RMA, but I have more horsepower on the way. See you soon at the top, mgrist. ;)

37. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

It's nice to be loved, everybody wants to join me :D
    I've been so tired the last month that all my computers have stayed up and running. Fpr those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, I like to mess with my computers and usally end up crashing one here and there. Glenn says he's lost about ten units since he started lightweight :D I'd hate to hazard a guess as to how many I've lost. :)
    Glenn that's OK about the computer parts, I'd rather see it whole and running just like you got it, maybe you can catch me also. I can't justify buying a computer when I've got five running :rolleyes: maybe a laptop yea I could use a laptop :p

38. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Hello all,,I have 2 ---200+pointers going in this morning,,,but a snag on my p4 laptop..one of my cats must have pulled the power jack and overnite probably ran 2 hrs on batts untill they died,at 100% processor ,LOL,,so its up and running with a bit of a delay,,later today will thow in another 200+ pointer,,,Glenn,,,whach out for kitties in the dark LMAO

39. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

glenn, thats funny about your cats. its funny, i hear that alot on here. i don't have cats and my dog stays out of my room, so i don't have that problem.

eric

40. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I've sent one unit in a day and a half with four fast computers running folding, that's terrible!!!!! These long Gromacs are running on four of the computers now and it seems that's all I'm running here the last two months. Oh well I guess they need to be done also.
    Sure is quite around here latly.
    Hey Robster how's the script going still slaving away at it :)

41. smokinbls

that it is.
    what happened did everyone go back to school or did we all get jobs
    i got a hell day at work tomarrow. 16 hours long and only i half hour smoke break :rolleyes:
    i am still trying to figure out how you all know how many points you are going to receive after you finish a gromac or a tinker...
    has anyone gotten a tinker latly?
    all i get are gromacs 1000 frame, 2500 frame, 5000 frame ones.....

42. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Yes Mgrist the last few units I have pulled were large gromacs as well have 2 in and another in about 1 hr,,all rendering 200-240 points,,so worth the wait I guess,,they run well on my P4 and the AMD 2500,,,,,,but I tell ya my P3 loaded one and the darn thing has not moved one frame in the last 4 hrs,,,and its 1000 frames,,,think im in trouble with that one , I may yank the WU,,and try for another,,a better suited WU for that computer

@ Eric,,yes the cats X 3 LOL are nocturnal creatures,,,and stur up havic at nite...hear them ,,hissing and running around the house,,while I TRY to get some shut eye,,,the worst is when they are chasing each other and all 3 of them come to a halt on our bed,,LOL scares the s--t out of us LMAO...Glenn

and yes quite,,,sshhhhhhh don't wake anyone

43. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Brian,,,after you get a UW,,,,look here there is a summary of what is released,,,can see points,,,due date,,description of WU yada yada...Glenn

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

yes on tinker one on P4 at the moment !!!

44. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I've recieved one Tinker, that was yesterday and it's on my Linux machine.
    I don't get on as much because I have a new job so I'm gone all day and in bed early. When I get home the first thing I do is sign on here but there's not a lot of traffic during the day either so I'm just not able to talk as much trash as I'd like to :D:D:D

45. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Just checked the gromac I'm running on this machine, it's worth 277 points!

46. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Glenn i just checked out that page. :D Really cool.

What is an Amber?

:cool:

cooked

47. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

went ahead and checked all five machines. Have one tinker worth 241 and four gromacs worth 277, 220, 186 and 230 for a total of 1154 points. Now I just need to get them done.

48. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

which is good, becuase the trash you talk is a insult to all trash talkers, i guess your just too OLD to learn how do it right. :p :cool: :D :D :D ;)

eric

49. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Neet page huh,,,,Cooked Amber is just another WU,,but it runs on the new core .78....just more and differant data to crunch LOL,,, PS if you click on description the last on each unit line on the page,,it tells you exactly the program run in development and facts about the work you are doing, Glenn

ps ,,,sometimes catch Mgrist at 6am,,LOL getting ready for the day ahead,,me as well,,,,,

50. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Yes it's a insult. It's a insult because trash talking is suppose to be a insult. in a facetious kind of way. To old to learn to do it right!!! Why you young whipper-snapper you, I was talking trash when your parents were in diapers. My trash talking is the basis, the measureing stick, the goal to reach the lesson to follow the end all and be all of trash talking. You've been bouncing to many golf balls off of trees, thats your problem :D:D
    :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds