Friendly Inquiry about Folder Management

Discussion in 'Software' started by sevenismagic, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sevenismagic

sevenismagic Private First Class

A certain unnamed individual [my Dad] decided it would be a good idea to put folders inside of folders inside of folders of every single photograph taken since 1995.

Any hints or tricks for a reasonable method to get the contents out into the open without opening each one and moving things out?

Please say there is. I am tasked with this nightmare. :major

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You could do this with Everything Search Engine. By setting the search field to .JPG or whatever you will initially get all JPGs on the selected volume (drive). You can then Select All followed by Cut and Paste to a new folder. However this would cause unexpected problems by moving files you don't want moved, so you would need to make use of the filters option to include only the drive and top level folder you are dealing with.

This will definitely work but I would advise a test with just a few items first to be sure you've got it set up right. I would also suggest creating a backup of the folder tree before you start. However if you face having to move hundreds of files it's worth the effort.

4. sevenismagic

sevenismagic Private First Class

Thanks, guys. I ended up finding that the cd command was best. It was complicated as can be, but it eventually worked. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds