Gandalf's Pe

Discussion in 'Software' started by Imandy Mann, May 28, 2016.

1. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Are you having problems with Aomei PE then? I'm still unable to create a version that will boot any of the systems here.

3. Imandy Mann

No problems at all. I'm just always trying different boot scenarios. This one is larger and I'm trying to find some input before I burn up my gbytes.

Aomei PE works on everything I got.

Gandalf's has a bit more installed as the base product it seems. But maybe could put all of those into an Aomei burn.

4. Imandy Mann

I decided to get a 5gb download card to try this out. I dl'd 8.1 32 bit PE. A 1.7gb dl. Works good. I burnt it to a dvd and booted in non-secure legacy mode. It runs from the dvd fairly good. The dvd needs to be left in so it not all loads to ram. I also used the 'Rufus' program off the dvd to build a bootable thumbdrive and that also works. I took some screenshots while in the environment using the 'prtscr' key and the 'paint' accessory. Everything works good. Opened an iso with the inbuilt rar program.
    Gandalf 1 menu.jpg Gandalf 1 menu.jpg

Here's a shot of one category in 'all programs'

Excuse the scattered images.

Attached Files:

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Off topic...
    Is that Start Menu available for Windows 7?

6. Imandy Mann

This morning I used the same to boot our AMD 64b '7 comp and it all looks the same. There is one for 7 itself but yeah this one works. I guess if the hardware is supported but I don't know the range of all machines. I bet if a machine qualifies for the Win 10 upgrade that it would run the '7 8 8.1 or 10 PE. Found the same thing with other pe's. I can make this 8.1 look like 7 and the 7 look like 8.

7. Imandy Mann

8. Earthling

I haven't tried this yet, just not enough time, but when I read the blurb I'm asking myself 'if that all works what would I need Windows for?' It reads like my Win 10 start menu! I'm also wondering how proprietary programs like Acronis and WinRAR can legally be included? TBH I've yet to encounter a problem requiring a reboot outside of Windows that I couldn't resolve using existing tools so unless I get bored it's unlikely I shall ever be trying it.

9. Imandy Mann

Well, I like to have tools outside of Windows for the times when Windows won't work or can't fix it's self. The last time I had an emergency need, it actually took 2 different tools to complete the task. I glad I had the tools and the prior experience of using those tools. All the backup/imaging software I have need a rescue disk to load from offline, not Windows itself. This is just another tool.

If it looks like Win 10 tells me 8 is not far from 10. But there is separate pe's for each. I have both from MS.

PE is not for everyday use and is even listed as not capable beyond 72 hours. I don't know if that is cumulative or not and hope I never find out. It's a tool, not a everyday use OS.

I haven't seen any Acronis software so I don't know their EULA.
    I do see WinRAR there and have tried it, to see operation. I see in 'about' that it says "Unlimited Company License". Since to get an over 1000 seat license it takes an email and we'll get back to you approach I will not be calling them.

Zip utilities could be needed for driver installs in case of corrupt updates or any other failure/deletion and a needed re-install. It also has 7-zip and I can also add PeaZip to the boot.

And the last time I had to restore my pc from a backup image I also played Yatchzee while I had nothing else to do.

Overall I think Gandalf has a good product that does what it claims and can be customized / tailored to individual needs.
    I'm glad to add it to my 'Toolbox".

10. Earthling

Yeah, it's just that I've already got a stack of boot disks four inches high and don't feel the need for yet another. Also, I'm a bit suspicious due to both Acronis and WinRAR being there. There would appear to be licence abuse in that disk.

11. Imandy Mann

Hear you on that.

"How high's the water, Mama?"
    "3 feet high and rising!"

12. Imandy Mann

Here from a blog on Raymond.cc about this pe

Gandalf’s Windows 8.1 PE is 1.8GB in size and in an ISO image format. You can burn it to a DVD or install it to a USB flash drive using Rufus . Both X86 and X64 versions of the 8.1 PE are available to download. All the tools embedded to Gandalf’s Windows 8.1 PE are either free or trial versions which means it’s free from pirated programs.
    Read More: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/5-system-rescue-boot-disc-based-on-windows-pe/

So as not to be as scared about not being legal.
    I would not be trying anything not kosher on my computer or elsewhere in my livelihood.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds