Gateway Fx Laptop Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmaties, Feb 10, 2018.

1. lmaties

lmaties Private E-2

Gateway FX Laptop Screen Replacement

I have a Gateway FX P-7805u ( with the 1400 X 1200 resolution screen ) that has some issues with the case being cracked and the fans are going out. I recently bought another FX P-7805u (with the 1400 x 900 resolution screen).

They both have the same identical video card installed.

Is it possible to swap the higher resolution screen onto the other laptop? If so, what all would need to be swapped? CPU, etc…

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

The problem, if there is one, will be the physical size/fit and connections. If they are all the same, I don't see where there will be a problem. And since they are the same model otherwise, it seems it should work.

If you had asked before buying the 2nd notebook, I probably would have recommended just shopping for a new notebook. But since the money has already been spent, go for it, if you feel you have the technical skills and tools and patience to do it right.

3. lmaties

lmaties Private E-2

I have the backup laptop for quite a while. Even though they are old, they still outperform a lot of newer ones. If I swap out the screens, do you know if the new screen's higher resolution will be recognized or am I stuck with the lower resolution? The video cards are identical in both laptops but the one I want to replace the screen on presently only gives a 1400 x 900 option where as the one I want to use is a 1400 x 1200 model. Gateway apparently swapped over to the lower resolution screen to lower costs. Does the CPU have anything to do with the resolution capabilities?

4. Digerati

If it is the same graphics card, I don't see why it wouldn't support the resolution.

Does it work at all now? If so, and the drivers are installed for that graphics solution, you should be able to check the properties and see if the other resolution is listed. If the computer works but not the monitor, you can try connecting the notebook to an external monitor or TV that supports computer input. And that brings up a point.

Since all notebooks are designed for travel where they might be connected to external monitors, projectors, etc., they are designed to support a wide variety of resolutions.
    No.
    I suspect the two "full" model numbers are not exactly the same. There may be several slightly different. Some with more RAM, some with less. Some with bigger drives, some smaller. Some made for North America, some for Europe. Same with screen quality.

5. lmaties

lmaties Private E-2

Even though the graphics cards are the same model, could they support different resolutions?

6. Digerati

You already asked this twice and I already answered twice. My answer is not going to change.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds