Good & Free Anonymous Surfing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by swampdogz, May 25, 2006.

1. swampdogz

swampdogz Private E-2

Can anyone tell me about good,free, anonymous surfing ?? very happy with the results of the free ad-aware,spybot and sygate. many thx.:)

2. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I'm looking for similar myself.

I need to find a good proxy that doesnt disable all the javascript commands.

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

I may be wrong, but I think allowing Java Script sort of defeats the purpose of anonymous surfing as you can be 'seen' and 'bounced out' of the proxy service. :confused:
    I tried The Cloak site a few times and I wasn't happy with the sluggishness anonymous surfing entails and still saw more ads than I cared to see.

See this post about anonymous surfing:

Surfing the web anonymously
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93045

:)

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

The Low-Down on So-called "Anonymous Surfing"

There are a numerous sites available which "claim" to allow anyone to surf the Web privately and securely and allow users "Anonymous Surfing" capability; by using web-based anonymous proxy services Some online offer tools [and/or software suites] which may require some type of installation on your PC and some do not.

The fact of the matter is that there is really no such thing as "totally anonymous" web surfing…
    Why? Because even if you use a 'proxy server' based online tool, program or utility - someone out there on the web (namely, whoever routes your traffic through their proxy server) knows exactly where you’ve been surfing, what links you click on and what you download. Therefore the trouble is; choosing an anonymous proxy server that you can actually trust.

Here’s the Details: Basically, most of these so-called 'anonymous web surfing' utilities and online tools work is by assigning what is called a ‘proxy server’ between the user and the web site they are trying to reach. The web browser connects to the proxy server, and the proxy server connects to the web site. Most of these websites that offer such tools "claim" that any web site which you are trying to reach supposedly does not know who you are; it only knows who the anonymous proxy server is.

Whether their tools will actually accomplish this as well as protect your privacy or not is not really verifiable.

One thing is for certain: Whoever runs the anonymous proxy server that you are using most definitely knows exactly who you are (your IP address, I mean); where you surf and what you click on and download -- Since this is the very definition of SPYWARE – any application that may track a person's or organization's online PC activity – I do not recommend using these utilities.

Aside from all that all of the currently available anonymous web proxy services tend to be extremely unstable because generally, the list of current anonymous web proxy services changes constantly. In addition, some anonymous web proxy services offer limited free services and others are by subscription. Most of the current proxy services offer some version of limited free service, and then try to upsell you to a monthly subscription.

Good Luck!

5. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

thanks, good posts toni & comp.

you probably right about the java thing toni & comp you right bout the spyware thing.

info noted.

6. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

No prob!
    You're Welcome!
    :)

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> thanks, good posts toni & comp. you probably right about the java thing toni & comp you right bout the spyware thing.info noted. < MadEddi <<

Oh, anytime. My pleasure, really! :)

I'm actually all for as much privacy as a user can legally get – especially while using the web; and if there would be a great demand for these tools and services if they could be used safely to use and actually worked properly. However the truth of the matter is that they are neither anonymous nor safe.

Being a freeware fan; I actually have tested several of these so-called "free" proxy programs and services pretty extensively over the years. In order to test them as safely as possible; I always used an older but functional spare computer with a fresh OS install and hardly any programs or data on it just to be on the safe side.

What I quickly discovered was that these programs might provide some ‘false’ sense of security in the minds of users; but they are useless as far as I’m concerned. They are even potentially hazardous to use considering the spyware element while accessing the anonymous proxies to reach websites. To me using these utilities is as risky as clicking on a link in your e-mail from an unknown source. Who knows where it will lead you…

Also, these proxy connections are extremely vulnerable to data interception. Using proxies from "open proxy" lists is particularly dangerous. In my view; it is the equivalent to providing all your passwords, email accounts to hackers. Hackers can use these proxies to attack and annoy the general network population and the network itself. And the user has no way to uncover the origin, who is hacking their system or how it is being done.

If anyone out there decides to use some anonymizing service you should be prepared to get much slower data transfer speeds – regardless of your ISP’s connection speed. Like I said in the earlier post they ALL of the proxy programs and services function quite erratically because the lists of "current available" anonymous web proxy services changes constantly. Your connection to the web is always WAY slower using any proxy; because every page you request from a web server takes a detour. You may also notices some trouble accessing many types of websites, especially those that need you to log in.

Using anonymous proxies to access many websites and particularly many forums is not tolerated and they will ban you if you try it. Another problem is that if many ISP’s do not allow the use of anonymous proxies and if you are using a proxy you are likely breaking the rules of your ISP’s Terms of Service agreement.

Good luck!

8. swampdogz

swampdogz Private E-2

Many Thx for all the info. don't sound too promising but I do appreciate finding out about the Anonymous Surfing routine.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds