Hard Drive Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-fe04a256cf, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

I have win7 64 Bit and a 4. Hardriv Bay usb 3.0 Unit.

I have 2. SATA 2. Hard Drive in the Bay.

And I had the Hard Drives for about 5. Years.

But I just use the Hard Drives for Backup of my VOB Files and MP3 Files and Video Effects.

I never use them but to Backup things so they are always in Idol Spin Down Mode.

Now the Hard Drive s are Buzzing or Humming.
    And if I touch them sometimes they stop Buzzing.
    Sometimes they do not stop Buzzing.

Does this mean they are going to go?

I thought if Hard Drive Made a Ticking sound they are about to go.

Thanks.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would check the fixings/mount points, loose screws, if used, can cause vibration.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That is one sign but there are many ways a hard drive can fail.

A ticking sound is typically due to the Read/Write arm (that swings the Read/Write head back and forth over the spinning platters/disks) banging into the end-stops as it seeks out the next data location. That arm is moved about by a "stepper motor".

A buzzing sound is often caused by worn bearings in the motor that spins the disks. That's a different motor.

All motors will wear out - eventually. And spinning motors typically start to vibrate more and more until they seize. I agree to check for loose mounting screws, but this could be a sign the drive is starting fail.

No backup plan should include just a single backup location. It sounds like it is time to backup your backups.

4. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Each manufacturer has it's own HDD test. They are pretty accurate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds