1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Tried To Raid Sd Cards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Sergeant

My purpose of setting up raid with sd cards is mostly for testing but at the same time i wanted to make use of several sd cards i have ( i have about 25 or more)

So i was thinking of buying some sort of sata board with sd card slots so i can raid 4 or more of them.
    I am guessing class 10 sd cards x4 in raid 0 probably won't match a 7200 rpm desktop hard drive.

However i am wondering how this setup would fare against a 5400 rpm laptop drive

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Sergeant

interesting

But the keyword in that article is ''could''

Its still something i am looking to try in a couple of weeks. I have so many sd cards leftover from cameras/other devices that while i do re use them every now and them i wanted to ''fuse'' them as storage.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You can get a micro SD to SSD adapter that can use 10 cards, or a one that will handle four SD cards.. they run $30.
    Quick math
    micro SD - 25/10= 2.5 (round 3 cards)x$30 = $90
    SD - 25 /4 = 6.25 (round 6)x$30 = $180
    New SSD's are that expensive, are you just wanting to spend money on an experiment?

Were you thinking just plugging them all in card readers and in a USB hub?? <-- losing speed.

Just for S&G, here is a video where a guy does USB stick RAID on an Apple.