Hello

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by jace23, May 3, 2009.

1. jace23

jace23 Private E-2

Hi all,

I have been visiting the MG site for a while. Mostly the shareware/freeware sections.:cool Anyhow, I thought now would be a great time to join the forums.

Right now I am deployed to Kuwait (it's HOT here). I am in the military and I am also a student. I am currently enrolled with UMUC, and I am about 7 classes shy from a BS in Computer and Information Science.

Computers and computer technologies are not just my hobby, I am also trying to make them apart of my career.

I am looking forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge from the members here, and helping those that I can.

Oh yeah and I use a MAC ;).
    UNIX all the way!

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome, jace23, we are glad to have you :-D I hope you have a nice cool place to work on your computer there.. Thanks for stopping in, and don't be a stranger...Stop in and ask a question if you have one, we'll answer most anything ;) Most here are harmless, and happy to help you.:-D

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    And to make you feel more at home.

YOU WILL ENJOY YOUR STAY HERE.
    DO YOU HEAR ME?
    I CAN"T HEAR YOU.

4. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

[​IMG] That's great that you have chosen the best forum to not only learn from But to LEARN from(you'll see as time goes on[​IMG])
    If you think it's Hot there try visting our HOT TOPICS forum You might want to take a few zantecs and several cold ones cause it can sometimes get unbearable in there. You will find the conversations quite different and sometimes weird but interesting. There are other forums that are great too in the Off Topic http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54
    If you have questions don't hesitate to ask, someone will answer.
    And last but not least I personally want to Thank You for choosing to serve and protect us. And as hrlow2 said "You will enjoy your stay here":major

5. jace23

jace23 Private E-2

Ok here is my first question...a real brain buster:

How do I wrap my signature block? I would like to post a short quip, but in the textarea box my text is more than two lines long. I am sure when the page is rendered its only going to be one, maybe two, lines at the most.

6. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Welcome to the MG forums, jace. :major Ain't this place a gas?
    Where does Robert Gates keep his armies? Up his sleevies. See what I mean? A laugh a minute. :-D

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you just tried using your chosen sig?
    Site will let you know if acceptable or not.

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

hello and welcome :)

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Got me to thinking. Haven't seen the one I should have.
    Has Sigs been turned off or what?

10. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi, I notice my sig. isn't showing either, so maybe there is something up with the site.... I haven't seen one in a while now... Hmmm.. Going to have to figure this one out...:confused

Hang in there, jace23, we are all having a 'no sig. day' here... Hopefully, it is just a minor technicality...;)

11. Kestrel13!

well I see mine :confused and everyone else's

12. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Kestrel13!, I can see mine when I go to "edit sig", but not in the forum posts.... :confused Seems kinda odd..:confused

Now, I am confused.... Where are you seeing them?

13. Kestrel13!

I see everyones... hmmm bizarre... I don't have a clue, I seem to remember a thread about another day where signatures were misbehaving...

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If you can see everyone elses, why can't we see them?
    What does mine show as?

15. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

That may be, I even went in and edited it, and still can't see it. Others are also wondering... Maybe just a glitch.. See what happens here shortly.....Thanks,:wave

16. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

hrlow2, I can't see mine either.. I have no idea, but Kestrel13! for sure is, because she is quoting them... Must be a glitch somewhere, because I can't see mine or yours, or anyone sigs. :confused

17. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I see every ones too .But I don't see them when I'm typing in the post box.

Ok what is every one drinking??

18. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I only see mine when I go to user CP.....:cry i can't see anyone else's:cry

19. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

take a look see.

MG NO sig.jpg

20. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

That is really odd! It is showing up for you, but not for me... Not for hrlow2 either.... Hmmmm... Thanks, bigtrucks, maybe our sigs. just had a hiccup... still got to find out why we can't see them tho... :confused

21. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to TeeCee
    Got it back on my machine.
    Go to your CP
    Edit Options
    Thread Display.
    My Sig display box had somehow gotten unchecked.
    Check the box, drop to bottom of the page and click Save Changes.

22. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

The only one I don't see is jace23.

23. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK! I found it! hrlow2, go to your user CP, and click EDIT OPTIONS, and scroll down and put a check mark in "show sig.".... I don't know how that got unchecked :confused BUT, they are all showing now :-D

Weeee, we did it at the same time! :-D

24. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

weren't fast enough that time,TeeCee.

25. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I can understand jace23 maybe not checking the box, but why would yours be unchecked ?

26. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have no idea. Haven't been there for so long.Last time I was there, everything was working OK.:confused
    There was a thread some time back where someone high up was playing games. You don't suppose...?rolleyes

27. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

OK, try this: Go to edit signature, then enter your signature, and click save, and then this:

Go to your CP
    Edit Options
    Thread Display.
    Check My Sig display box (if this box isn't checked, your sig. won't show)
    Drop to bottom of the page and click Save Changes

That should do it....;)

28. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Or, maybe, when we did our monthly maintanance, and deleted cookies have anything to do with it? I did do that, I was invited to a friends website, and the page loaded alright, I just got "done, but with errors" so I did delete history, temp. int. files, and even the cookies, and restarted, and went back, and am still getting that message, so I just don't go there anymore.. That is the only one that did that to me... I don't like that message at all...;)

29. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Don't think so. That should affect all other sites as well,but they show all right.

30. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

That is good to know.. I do my maintanance once a month, and never had any problems before... Of course, I have to log in again, but that is no biggie... Maybe you were right earlier, someone playing games? OH NO! I hope it wasn't a CAT!!!:-o

31. jace23

jace23 Private E-2

The error message I am getting reads:

You have more than two lines of text. You may have to implicitly wrap text...goes on about not formatting right.

I can see signatures, I just cannot post the one I want. I see some sigs are some what large. Not to call anyone out, but there is one with a quote from Madison on it. I am just trying to get mine to format in the same manner.

It seems as thought all of the options are turned off for signatures ie. html, avatar, pic...etc.

32. jace23

jace23 Private E-2

I am not even sure how I would implicitly wrap text

33. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi, me either yet, but have you checked this:

Go to your CP
    Edit Options
    Thread Display.
    Check My Sig display box (if this box isn't checked, your sig. won't show)
    Make sure all three boxes are checked,
    Drop to bottom of the page and click Save Changes

I'll do some more checking, and see if I can come up with something for you, so hang in there, OK?

34. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If I'm not mistaken, you have to have a minimum number of posts to get those activated.
    May be getting forgetful in my old age.

35. jace23

jace23 Private E-2

Those are checked.

Maybe I don't have enough posts yet. Oh well...ask me if you don't know, but sometimes you got to be the FNG!

36. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi, from what I have found, it looks like you have to have 50 posts before you can do that. Kinda like private messaging.. You have to have 50 posts, then you will have access to both.. Hope this helps..;)

37. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And there is a limit to 2 lines.Don't know how many characters,though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds