Help Me Pick A Decent Monitor.....Cheap!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SkayCD, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Hello from the old granny! Would appreciate any advice on picking a decent monitor as my old crt has died and having to use a borrowed one right now but can't keep it much longer.

Don't have any ideal what would be a good monitor especially as I have limited funds.....175 or under. Would like to have a 19 or 22 inch flat screen. I understand ms should be under 12, lookd at several on line that are quoted as being 5ms, (not sure what that means) is that considered good?

I live in the country and don't have a lot of stores to pick from other then Wal Mart!!! Would order from on line but don't know who would be best to order from.

My little computer is a Samsung Shuttle X, about 5 years old, (still working great) if that is important to know and running XP.

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Okay, let's see what we can find. I, like alot of us here, deal with Newegg.com, there dependable and they do stand behind what they sell. Let's start with these monitors. These are 20" monitors. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020 1309821318&name=20" Some are pretty expensive, but as you scroll down you'll find some in your price range. Okay, here's the 19" http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020 1309821317&name=19" And, just for the heck of it, here's the 22" http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020 1309822582&name=22" A number of the 22s are within the price range you mentioned. So, does that help any??;) Like I said, Newegg is a good company and I noticed that some of those monitors have free shipping included.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Thanks so much Stubby for your help, now I feel I can make a decision.

I'd seen Newegg.com but didn't know enough about them to give them a try. When in doubt I have learned to turn to all you wonderful folks at MajorGeeks for the right path to take. I'm going to check out all you have here.

You did not suggest any particular product name so will check to find out all I can before choosing.

4. Stubby

Sorry about that!! However, I really couldn't make any suggestion as to brands because, you see, I'm still stuck in the 'stone age!!' and am using a 22" CRT!!:cry However, never fear, I WILL catch up someday!!;) With Newegg,
    you can always read the reviews of a particular monitor written by the people that have bought them, which may help you decide. Good Luck!!!

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

The Acers are nice. They work well and are priced just right. Watch out for the Hann's rebates as there is litigation going on from what I've read.

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

7. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

newegg rocks.

8. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Thanks to all of you for your input on this.

PapaDuke I did check out location with Wal Mart on the one for 124, that said out of Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Victoria, no one has it in stock. I think I will end up with an Acer. Haven't given up on it just yet though as I like all the feed back I am getting in reviews.

I have had excellent luck with returns I've had to make with Wal Mart so not worried there either but also like what I read about Newegg too.

Which ever way I go I hope to have a new monitor by the weekend at the latest and will let you all know how well it works for me.

Thanks again team, YOU ARE THE GREATEST!! :grouphug

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254009
    seems no rebate required for the $129.22 price unless I missed it.

IMHO, the best monitors for my "senior" eyes are Samsungs.
    I managed to snag a 19" wide Samsung several weeks ago from newegg for $149.99 free shipping!
    Sign up for the weekly promo email and maybe you can get a deal better than the website is showing.

I've purchased many things from newegg over several years and have never had a problem.

10. SkayCD

SkayCD Private E-2

Well I did not have to buy a new monitor after all. My Grandson heard about my problem and brought me his new dell box monitor (that had been stored in his attic) as he had bought a 24inch flat screen to use instead. It works great and is the same size as my old monitor so I can see everything quite well.

His help couldn't have come at a better time as I now have to use that money for the vet's help with our little dog.

This said, I will value and save all of your wonderful help in this matter for future use when needed. Thanks again for all your help, God Bless each and everyone of you. :grouphug

11. Stubby

That's great SkayCD, and I'm glad it worked out for you. Well, you did say you wanted a 'cheap' monitor...and you got one!!:-D Have a GREAT day, and don't be a stranger!!:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds