help setting up computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by freetime, Jul 18, 2012.

1. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good.
    I have no experience with "Speedy Fox" or "UniBlue Driver Scanner"
    I you wish to remove them, try add or remove programs. As for leftovers, I assume you mean registry entries, you might try http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html
    You can bypass the built in XP uninstaller and go straight to revo, but read about it first. It will walk you thru the steps of what it is doing...

2. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Cipher, ok, Thanks for your continued guidance the past few days. It was what helped me get through everything needed to take the used laptop from dead to alive!

I'm grateful that you stuck it out and saw my lack of knowledge of the terms as the 'problem' and worked through it with me.

I can now 'delete' all of the things under the 'guest account bookmarks' correct?
    What should I leave under the 'guest account', if anything? I don't forsee anyone but myself using the laptop. If something needs to be 'repaired' that is done under the 'Administrator account' anyway correct?

3. cipher

If the guest account is disabled, I'd leave it at that. Nothing there is likely to hurt anything, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Thanks for the kind words, glad you're running again. Make this forum a regular read, you will see how other things are handled, pick up new tricks.

Start with this excellent article:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

4. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Cipher, I'm going to be reading here everyday probably for the next few YEARS in order to make sure of what I am doing BEFORE I do it.

Nothing in the 'guest account' is going to use up 'memory'? I can delete all of the 'bookmarks' there now without issue correct? Anything else I will leave alone.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just jumping in on 'UniBlue Driver Scanner' do uninstall as driver scanner cause more issues than enough with PCs as they cannot always pick the correct driver for a PC as many PCs especially the ones form the likes of DELL, HP etc do have customised drivers, while say a Realtek Audio driver may to some be a Realtek Audio driver there are many different types even if the version of chip is the same, the hadware code many slightly different.

I see way way too many issues with drivers caused by the majority of driver scanners its crazy, so if you have any driver issues, you only need to use our Driver forum area and give us details of what the issue is and we can help on that manually.

@Cipher great info in the whole thread :)

6. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Hi, Thanks for jumping in on the 'UniBlue Scanner' topic. I see that it's not listed under my 'Add/Remove Programs' (?!) but it IS located in my 'Documents folder'?! Is there a reason CCleaner did not remove it completely when I used the 'Add/remove' feature there?

If you want to move this post let me know where to look for the answer.

7. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Removing UniBlue Scanner from Laptop

Hi, Thanks for jumping in on the 'UniBlue Scanner' topic. I see that it's not listed under my 'Add/Remove Programs' (?!) but it IS located in my 'Documents folder'?! Is there a reason CCleaner did not remove it completely when I used the 'Add/remove' feature there? How do I completely remove all traces of it from my laptop?

8. cipher

<Knight in The Last Crusade>You have chosen wisely...</Knight in The Last Crusade>

No, and leave the bookmarks. You know where a back up of them are now;)

Additionally, make bookmark backups every now and then and save them. You should be able to get a 4 GB USB stick for $10 or less if you do a little looking around. Nice place to keep things like this...

9. freetime

freetime Private E-2

I know where to find the folks who know about computers....They are on Major Geeks!

I'll leave the bookmarks listed under the 'Guest Account' also, because it does make sense after I think about it.

Would you recommend that I buy an 'External Hard Drive' and use the laptop with it hooked up? At the end of the day I could just 'send' everything there and have my whole laptop 'backed up' right? Also, since the laptop does'nt have much 'memory' it would keep everything but the 'installed programs' off the laptop to help with the speed of page loading correct?

10. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Since I'll never use 'Internet Explorer' as my 'Browser' can I 'remove it' from the laptop to gain memory?

Also, I'm not into playing any of the 'games' because I have'nt the time for them. Can they all be 'deleted/removed' to help save 'memory' too?

11. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Re: Removing UniBlue Scanner from Laptop

It's listed under the 'Downloads' with an Icon, along with the 'Speedy Fox Program' which has an Icon and I don't know what program that snuck onto the laptop in/with?

12. cipher

Leave IE on the machine for now. Nice to have another browser in case one goes belly up. I don't think you're ready for an IE uninstall just yet. Just don't use it if you don't care for it.

As for the games, sure I suppose. Is your disk space that small? As long as you have about 20% free space for swap usage, your computer will be fine. Open My Computer and right click Local Disk (C:) to see a nice pie chart of used and free space.

I wouldn't be in a rush to start deleting things, you may bite off more than you want... :)

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Considering that IE can not be uninstalled from XP, the OP has no other choice.

Make sure you keep IE updated since it is joined to your version of Windows.
    I never use IE but I make sure that when windows updates shows me an IE update I accept it for all the computers in the house.

14. cipher

Correct and good advice.

15. DavidGP

The app may just have a folder associated with it and just delete that folder but also look in Program Files folder and see if you have a Uniblue folder if so open it up and see if their is an uninstaller file, could be called Unins001, Uninstaller, unwise, etc

Yes this is a perfect choice to have as I always say to anyone Backup Backup Backup.. we create many files over the years and many that are precious like pictures, documents etc, so loosing them can be really sad to us.

So having an external drive (I have 2 large external WD Passport drives) can be great for just backing up your important files, you can also use it to create a backup of the whole PC (imaging or cloning) so that in the event of a major PC crash or malware that cannot be fixed you can recover your PC.

Imaging and Cloning I will cover later on at some point as its a big topic, but I use Acronis True Image to do Imaging of my main OS (Windows) drive, there are a few other good free ones to do this also like Easeus ToDo and Comodo Backup to name two I have used also. But worth a read of what these apps do in the mean time.

16. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Cipher, that last sentence above is probably what I will stick with for the near future. I guess I got so *excited* about being able to transfer, then FIND, my 'bookmarks' that I *know something* Chuckle!!

The 'C Disc Space' says it has 10.4 gb of 'used space', and 26.8 gb of 'free space' for a 'total space' of 37.2 gb. it is a rather nice looking piece of pie though!

So just leaving stuff I won't use on the computer is better off for now than attempting to remove it, gotcha.

17. freetime

freetime Private E-2

David GP, Thanks for chiming in here on my thread. You have a WONDERFUL SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE HERE AT MAJOR GEEKS TO TAP INTO.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freetime View Post
    Hi, Thanks for jumping in on the 'UniBlue Scanner' topic. I see that it's not listed under my 'Add/Remove Programs' (?!) but it IS located in my 'Documents folder'?! Is there a reason CCleaner did not remove it completely when I used the 'Add/remove' feature there? How do I completely remove all traces of it from my laptop?

DAVID GP>"The app may just have a folder associated with it and just delete that folder but also look in Program Files folder and see if you have a Uniblue folder if so open it up and see if their is an uninstaller file, could be called Unins001, Uninstaller, unwise, etc"

Could you be so kind to tell me how/where to find the 'Program Files Folder'?

Also, the 'UniBlue Driver Scanner' description> is 'Uniblue Driverscanner setup size 5.24mb' is under the 'Downloads' in the 'Document Folder section'. Can it 'just be' *safely* 'deleted' from there ?

The 'Speedy Fox Program' is there too it's 572kb. Can it too be safely 'deleted' from the 'Downloads'?

Neither appear on the 'Add/Remove' list under the Computer or CCleaner.

18. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Once Programs like CCleaner, Avira Antivirus, Spyware Blaster, etc are 'installed' on one's computer/laptop; is it necessary to keep the 'Installer files' under the 'Downloads', or can they be 'deleted'?

19. DavidGP

Hi freetime

Yes the Program files folder is found by clicking on your C drive then Program Files folder, and in that folder you will find all the installed applications.

Yes in downloads you can once installed an application delete the main setup file, I do this as they get old fairly quickly.

I would advise using Secunia PSI to monitor your applications and updates, great app I use.

*glad you like Majorgeeks and thank you for the comment, we always have tried and strived to keep things geared to the user so if you a pro you get pro answers if a novice you get novice answers, we do not care what your level of expertise is, we love you all!*

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  20. freetime

freetime Private E-2

I noticed in my *over exuberance* of finding my 'bookmarks file' and transferring them to my 'User Account' I was a bit *mouse happy*rolleyes and impatient and clicked away on it a few too many times. (Ok, I clicked on it repeatedly about 5 or 6 times:-o). It did put my 'bookmarks' in my 'user account', only it relisted them the 5 or 6 times!:confused Now how do I 'delete' the 5 replications I don't need? It's the same list of 'bookmarks' repeated 5-6 times in the column with the 'header separations'.

21. plodr

Delete them all then import again and only click once. That is far easier than going through and deleting 5 or 6 extra entries for everything.

22. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Explorer.exe is listed as 'running' in the 'Task Manager'. Since I'm using Firefox Mozilla as my 'browser' is there a way to 'turn off' Internet explorer? It's using memory I don't have to run all of it's stuff which is definitely slowing down my computer noticeably.

I had trouble opening up basic mail in my Yahoo email today and had to log in and out a few times just to view the mail.

23. plodr

Explorer is Windows Explorer. This is the user shell, which we see as the familiar taskbar, desktop, and other user interface features.

The browser would be listed as Iexplore.exe.

24. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Plodr, Is there a way for me to 'save' an image of the 'Windows Task manager' to show what is running in it to you (Major geeks et al.)? I think there are items that are slowing down the laptop on there.

What is 'explorer.exe then if not Windows Explorer?

25. freetime

freetime Private E-2

How do I 'delete them all' with one click versus 40?

26. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Taking Screenshots

HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

27. freetime

freetime Private E-2

MAJOR CRISIS FOLKS....I am using/working the Desktop computer to reply here now because something MAJOR happened to my Laptop yesterday during use.

I had stopped the downloading of the Adobe Reader Update because it was bundled with a McAfee Antivirus, that I was certain would cause issues with my already setup Commodo and Avira programs.

I had 'deleted' the (2) 'Install Programs' 'Speedy Fox Program' & 'Uniblue Driver Program' from my 'Downloads' section of my 'Documents' because I was told it was ok to do so in this Thread. I had not found them 'listed' anywhere else on the laptop ie, under CCleaner or 'Add/Remove'.

I had ONLY read 2 websites,which I have never had any issues with in 10 years of reading them daily( so I know the problem did not originate there) and then shutdown/closed the computer for the night. This involves me 'Safely Removing' the wireless/unplugging it from the USB hole, and unplugging the wall socket power cord.

I went to log on today and all I get is a black screen with:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\PCI.SYS

"You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom.
    'Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I don't know if anyone here can understand the level of frustration and despair I am feeling right now with regards to this laptop computer issue. :cry

1) I am wondering what the heck happened :)confused) after I did the 116 (!!) Windows Updates downloads and the computer worked fine for 3 days.

2) I hope it's a fix that can be done without the CD-ROM because I never had it.

3) i had transferred everything from the Desktop to the Laptop and then cleaned the Desktop of all of it. It was ok since I had the Laptop working fine. But now I can't even log onto the Laptop and everything I need to use online is on the Laptop! I was going to buy a Portable harddrive this weekend but did not have the money for one.

4) Thank you for your help in advance

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  28. freetime

freetime Private E-2

I was referring to the second sentence above in relation to my post inference below about "deleting in Downloads once the Application was installed'. I think I can rightly be cursing out UNIBLUE at this point in time because it's my strong belief that they are at fault for this debacle with my laptop's system failure.

29. freetime

freetime Private E-2

HELP PLEASE:( i HAVE NO COMPUTER TO USE OF MY OWN TO DO MY BILLS ETC UNTIL MY LAPTOP IS FIXED. I'M ON DISABILITY AND CAN'T AFFORD TO FALL BEHIND IN MY BILLS BY PAYING LATE.

30. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Cipher, DavidGP, Plodr anyone out there? Please read the preceding 3 posts I made in the past few days. The Laptop had a MAJOR MALFUNCTION after I followed directions here to 'delete' 'install programs' under my 'downloads section'. I believe it was caused by the UNIBLUE DRIVER crap that downloaded from when I did another download file here at Major Geeks.

31. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Hi Freetime - just been reading this long thread and can sympathise with your situation having made so much progress only to see the system go down on you. The usual way of attempting to correct sudden errors like this is to use Window's System Restore feature, which tries to revert the system to how it was at an earlier time, usually just two or three days being available. But you do need to be able to boot into Windows to use it!

Windows has a feature called Safe Mode which loads a minimal configuration and this will often boot the computer when a normal boot can't. To get into Safe Mode you start tapping F8 straight after power on, and when the menu pops up select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. If that gets the system up use Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and if all goes well you will be offered a choice of restore points to work your way through.

Hope it succeeds!

32. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Hi there, thank you for your advice. I was surprised none of the original posters to my thread could find the time to come back in and answer this question.

Yes, all I get when I turn on the computer is a black screen saying what I said in a post previously about 'needing the MS Windows CD ROM to reinstall Windows'(!!)

After the past few days of trying to figure this out on my own, since no one on the forum would chime in, I narrowed it down to my having 'deleted' a 'UniBlue Driver Program' and 'Speedy Fox Program' from my 'downloads section' in my 'documents'.

One of these must have had something to do with the debacle.

I'm going to try and get in under 'safe mode' by tapping F8 as you suggest and then trying a 'system restore' back BEFROE I did all the MS Windows Updates.

Here goes nothing!

33. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Hi again, I got into 'safe mode' and followed your directions to get to 'system restore'. It gave me choices all the way back to mid July!:) So I took one around July 18th that did not have 'system updates' in it's title and pushed 'enter'. It's 3/4s of the way through the 'system restore' now and I'll let you know what happens.

How do I know what to do after it's done 'system restore (ing)'? How do I revert the laptop out of 'safe mode'?

I noticed when I started this I had to go into an 'account' to begin, and it gave me 2 choices 'Administrator' or my 'named account' that I was/ have been using as the 'Administrator account'(which I chose). I have another account which I was 'using on the internet' to read instead of 'guest'. I got to the 'startup' after that.

I do not recall setting up a password for the 'Administrator's Account' because I just used the first 'named account' as that. Is this a problem or safety factor for the Laptop?

34. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Well, slap me upside the head and call me a tourist in Computer Land! The laptop has 'revived itself'!:)

It is now back to a Blue Screen at the 'click your user name to begin' section.

How do I get out of 'safe mode' to see where the computer has gone back to after the 'system restore'?

I'm actually thinking I can 'embrace' this computer thing now that I see the 'challenge' with these machines:-o. It's like you are constantly playing 'mental chess' like that guy did back in the 1970's!! NOW I GET why all you folks are 'computer geeks'.....it's the THRILL OF VICTORY OVER A MACHINE!! I can respect that more than words you read here. :major

My new definition of a 'computer geek' is a person who is smarter than a mechanical contrivance!! It's true then that 'computer geeks' ARE the smartest people in the World!:cool

35. Earthling

Hi again, seems System Restore may have got you out of stuck, great. You don't have to 'get out' of Safe Mode. The computer always boots into normal mode unless you force it to boot to Safe Mode with F8 or in some other way.

What System Restore has done is revert your registry and many of its system files back to how they were at whichever date you selected. It won't have altered any of your personal stuff in any way. So now you can use it normally using whichever user account you want, but take the earlier advice about updates - only allow it to do a few at a time and see it's OK before doing the next batch. Seems it may have been that huge batch of updates that took most of the day that spooked it last time.

36. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Hi, I believe you are correct with regards to the issue may have originated with the 116 (!) Windows Updates. Though I did 'restore' it to 2 different 'points' . The first was July 19th, but that seemed to 'early' as in it still had the 'guest account' as a 'user account'. So I went more recent to July 27th, which is after all the 'updates' and has my 'named user account'. I'm going to og into it and see what's what.

I appreciate the information you gave on the 'safe mode' particulars, as that is very important to know. I had always been under the assumption that 'safe mode' was something the computer user had to 'select/de-select' in order for the computer to be 'safe to use. Now that I understand it's not like that I won't have any fears of working on the computer.

37. freetime

freetime Private E-2

38. freetime

freetime Private E-2

I need this explained to me. I 'deleted' all of the 'extra bookmarks' under the 'original set of bookmarks', but when I did the 'system restore' they all came back.

I see that I have to 're save' the 'original bookmarks' to my 'documents' because the one that is there is different than those under the 'user account'.

Do I name it bookmarks.html 2?

39. plodr

I did not mean do a system restore.
    I never store anything to my documents or wherever MS thinks I should put my files.
    I export my bookmarks to a USB stick (it used to be a floppy but not too many computers have a floppy drive). Then I import from the USB stick to any computer in the house.
    It is also a way for me to back up my bookmarks. Every few weeks, I replace the bookmark file on the USB stick with a newer file.

Now to find the export and import click on Bookmarks in FF then Show All Bookmarks then Import and Backup.
    First Backup from a computer with all your bookmarks.

Go to a different computer click Bookmarks then Show All then Import and Backup but this time select Import instead of Backup.

40. Earthling

I advised that. The system became unbootable but a SR has fixed it. No connection with the bookmarks question.

41. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Yes, Thank you for the 'System Restore' post, it revived my dead laptop.

Plodr, that sounds like a good way to not have to worry about loss of your articles and other 'saved information' on a computer. I hope to purchase a USB stick or Portable External Hard Drive this weekend.

What I still have an issue with is that in my exhuberance I clicked too many times on 'Bookmarks.html' under my Documents 'downloads' (I will admit it was impatience on my part); and what ended up happening is that my 'bookmarks' repeated themselves 5 times in a row.

Now when I click on my 'bookmarks' it has the column of bookmarks repeated 5 times. I manually 'deleted' each 'bookmark' in the lower 4 sections; but when I signed back on there they all were again?! UGH!

Now I can't make a 'single copy' of the bookmarks because it 'exports' all 5 copies to 'document/downloads'.:-o

42. plodr

I guess you will have to go through Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks, Then Organize.
    In the left pane you will see folders. Click on a folder and the right pane will show what urls are in the folder. You can simply right click a site and select delete. Easier method is to keep your one finger on the shift key and click the 1st bookmark that you want gone and move the cursor to the last bookmark you want gone and click. You will see everything including the 1st and last is now highlighted because a shift tells the computer to select everything in between where you click. Now right click and select delete and you can wipe out perhaps 25 at a time.

If you are up to an addon for FF, checkplaces . ooops, I went searching and the author removed it. I used it to check for duplicate or missing bookmarks.
    If I see it come back, I'll explain.

43. freetime

freetime Private E-2

Hi folks, I had the black screen again on startup that says 'system32\drivers\pci.sys' windows could not start because of this issue.

I had gone back and tried to do a 'system restore' to a day when i had taken the 'guest account' down and replaced it with a 'named account' (which now has 25 documents/downloaded files in it, plus bookmarks). That seemed ok yesterday as I looked around on the notebook computer. Today I just turned it on and nothing. I'm on the desktop writing this obviously. I can get the notebook computer into 'safe mode' by tapping f8. but then it goes back to the black screen above, even after choosing safe mode?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds