Help with DVD Flick

Discussion in 'Software' started by provobis, Nov 18, 2011.

1. provobis

provobis Private First Class

Don't believe any of the DVD Flick threads showing address my specific question. Using DVD Flick I can't seem to burn a downloaded video to DVD, never mind to play on a standalone DVD player after the burn. I have used DVD Flick before though it's been some time...still there must be something I'm missing because I get a DVD Flick error error after the attempted burn (so naturally all three DVD standalone players cannot read the disk).

Here's what I've done. Maybe someone out there can duplicate my steps and find out what's wrong, or why I've failed.

First downloaded this PARTICULAR (nothing else will do) U tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG1xga3CNso with both Real Player and FDM downloader. Pretty sure the download in either case is a FLV file.

Then used DVD Flick to try to create the movie, even tried converting the flv file to something else that would work with DVD Flick. Is is possible the file is in PAL standard which can't be used to make a NTSC movie? If so, what can I do to make the specific file download usable? Thanks to anyone who can find out where I'm going wrong.

My system is XP sp3

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. provobis

Just Playin, thanks for your response. I can't post a screenshot because I had to go back and try the burn to get it, but this time the error was not there. DVD Flick supposedly finished the DVD movie but again all my players either can't read the disk or say "wrong disk". However I think I remember the error I got before was after the attempted "verify" step when the error message was something about "failed to read....", but I don't remember the error number.

I should mention the guides I have are not for the latest version and build for DVD Flick I last downloaded. Consequently the DVD Flick illustrated guide steps shown are not the version I now have which made things confusing to say the least.

Also I am still wondering if the "PAL" standard has anything to do with the problem. In one of the DVD Flick windows I got a display before that shows the title, then "you tube (1) flv, duration 4:24 minutes, 25 fps, PAL, flv, 480 X 360, normal (4:3) SAR, 1:1 PAR" , even though on some reattempts with DVD Flick I made sure to enter NTSC. However on those attempts there was no step showing the PAL window though my players still could not read the disk.

Darned if I know why I'm having so much trouble now, since the last time I used DVD flick I was always successful to create a good movie that any standalone could play.

May I make a suggestion that might clear this up? If you use DVD Flick could you create a DVD movie from the file I posted and if you're successful post all your steps exactly using build windows 1.3.0.7 (which I have). But if you're not successful it might be easier to discover the reason (unless you have already figured out what's wrong). Thanks

4. pistol

pistol Private First Class

it should be able to encode,recode PAL FLV,assuming you selected the proper region to"NTSC",do you get any error messages during encoding or after the burning is completed ? If not,then i would check the write speed on image burn,it should be set at 4X min,or 6X max,any higher than that and your player may not be able to read them.there should also be some logs in the project destination folder,what type of blank media are you using?

5. provobis

pistol, I did not get error messages on some attempts. On others I got the error message during the "verify" operation.

Never had a problem before with write speed no matter what it was set at, though I could try what you suggest with this version.

I'm using Memorex that always worked before. I know you're going to say I should always use Verbatim (which I do for DVD+R DL), but why should Memorex be a problem now when it never was before? Anyway what I understood about Memorex that on some occasions it introduced errors but not on all. For this burn I've tried at least a half dozen Memorex disks with the same result every time.

BTW my players were always able to read whatever I burned with DVD Flick with all variations of settings I tried.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It sounds like your problem is caused by Imgburn or the discs you are using. Imgburn is a separate program that is installed with DVD Flick to actually burn the disc that DVD Flick creates. Reinstall DVD Flick and see if that corrects the problem.

Alternatively, you may have bought a bad batch of discs. It happens. If you still have problems, lower the write speed.

7. provobis

Thanks Playin, Already uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times, even with an archived older version (that for some reason had some original options greyed out so I could not use). Maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall img burn also...getting frustrated at this point. Don't know about the bad batch, I'll try another reel of disks and see, but not holding my breath.

Have to emphasize that the "guide" that comes with even the new version does not correspond to the pages in the steps (they look different or do not have the options or steps indicated in the guide). Why guides that do not faithfully use and refer to the actual version pages?

BTW when I first tried DVD Flick this time I used the lowest speed available with the same results.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. pistol

pistol Private First Class

could it be possible that the burner is not working? most of the time if the drive mechanism works it may still be able to read but not write.incidentally,a clean reinstall of DVDFlick can be tricky because the new application will refer to settings "c/doc-settings/user/application data/dvdflick/dvdflick.cfg that isn't removed during the normal uninstalling, which will by default reapply your previous settings to a newer reinstall.so unless you delete that file too after the main uninstall,the fresh install will still have the same configurations as the former.I would also run ccleaner's registry clean after you uninstall repeatedly until no more entry's are found.also since the last program was released"1.3.0.7"the ffmpeg,imgburn,7zip standalone console are woefully out of date,if you want to update those files yourself.you can update imgburn yourself,you don't have to uninstall the older version,the newer will uninstall&overwrite the older before it installs. i tried to upload the more recent versions of ffmpeg&7zip stndalne console,but this site has a 2mb limit,the file i was going to attach is a little under 3mb's,but if you want them i can e-mail them to you.
    BTW,i happen to use verbatim DVD-R's,not a recommendation,just my personal preference.

9. provobis

I use Revo uninstaller which looks for any traces (including settings) left in the registry by uninstalled programs, then I clean reinstall the program. I also use CC cleaner.

I'll update imgburn myself.

Just discovered that another movie maker I have, sothink, successfully burns a DVD movie that plays in my standalones. However there are stutters and freezes in the video (and audio) that do recover but of course that's not acceptable. So now I'm thinking the PAL file I downloaded from utube cannot be directly burned to DVD without adverse or no results unless it is converted first from PAL to NTSC. Evidently converting between TV standards is not the same thing as between formats.

Let you guys know how (or if) I can do. If you have any more ideas or comments in the meantime please do post again. Thanks

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I converted that file to ISO using convertx (200mb). I'm uploading it to deposit files. Should be ready in half hour or so. You can try downloading, if you like, and burning using imgburn and see if you have better results.

One tip is to close as many other programs as possible when burning a DVD. No matter how capable your computer it seems to guarantee a better burn at least that is what I have come to believe whether it is true or not. ;)

11. provobis

I agree. I'm not one to be running a dozen things at a time no matter how much memory I have.

12. sach2

Here is the depositfile link: http://depositfiles.com/files/aaqtpu0dk

If deposit files is difficult to use I can try another hosting site. (I just got a all download slots are in use try again later message.)

13. provobis

Thanks sach2, not difficult, I downloaded and tried to burn with (new) download of imgburn, (not DVD flick program) Everything went well until "verify" when I got another error message. I hate that print screen procedure so I'll post the error the long way below.

In the imgburn burn verify menu:
    FAILED TO READ SECTOR 400
    SECTOR 400 MAPS TO FILE\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.V08

And in the big error box:
    I/O ERROR
    DEVICE (0:1:0) TSST CORP CDDVDW SH-S223Q SB03 (K ATA)
    SCCI STATUS: 0X02
    INTERPRETATION CHECK CONDITION
    CDB: 28 00 00 00 00 01 90 00 00 01 00
    INTERPRETATION: READ (10)-SECTOR:400
    SENSE AREA:70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 11 05
    INTERPRETATION: L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

What do you think guys? :-D And is a iso file supposed to ignore the TV standard?

14. sach2

ISO is just a container for the VIDEO_TS and Audio_ts folders. Just a handy way to burn the file. I used NTSC format.

My first guess is your DVDwriter doesn't like those discs.

Since it was supposedly burned successfully, try it one of your players to see if it is at least recognized.

15. provobis

Nope. not recognized. :cry

16. sach2

It seems it must be a problem with the dvd writer or the discs. The software and movie files are most likely fine. I think the PAL and NTSC is a non issue and any converting software automatically takes care of that.

I don't want to pile on about the Memorex discs but I find them the worst of the brands. Maxell has been surprisingly decent for a drugstore brand when I wanted to grab something fast. I think I would try another brand of discs. If you still have problems then I would consider replacing the DVD writer. There only ~$25 online and a new one will usually burn anything for at least a year or so.

If you still want to burn through your discs you could try another software for the writing. CDBurnerXP is a solid burning program and I sometimes go to it when I have problems with imgburn and a particular file.

You could try it with either your original Video_TS folder using the Video DVD option or with the ISO file using the ISO option.

17. provobis

Thanks sach2, I have two other writers I can plug in and try. I don't doubt your experience with Memorex, and I know many others agree with you. Still I have to say I've never had trouble using them with these same writers, DVD Flick, as well as other software, etc, so I guess I've got my fingers crossed especially since I bought a bunch on a sale and hate to throw them out...like to use them up at least before I go to 100% Verbatim. Yeah I've heard that about Maxell, but always had a bad taste in my mouth buying it. I was a dealer for HI-FI equipment, media, parts, service, etc and I won't go into detail but had a bad experience with Maxell....they denied everything naturally but being in the business I knew what I knew. That's all I'll say except that my Maxell issue was with magnetic tape media, not plastic CD, DVD and such.

I have CD Burner XP but have not used it much, mostly DVD flick, sothink movie maker, and imgburn solo.

I'm really worn out with all the computer rebuilding and now this issue so it might take me a few days to try different things. I'll get back in here when I do if I have anything intelligent to offer. In the meantime guys, don't hesitate to post on me if you feel the urge. Thanks all for now. :wave

18. sach2

If you have another burner that is great. It is probably just a compatibility issue between the discs and the burner.

I was not recommending Maxell (I usually buy TDK because I almost never have a bad burn with them but I guess my writer just is very compatible with them.) I just was pleasantly surprised with the Maxells when I bought them once or twice on sale. They seemed to burn well and my DVD players all accepted them. I have no hesitation buying a 10 pack or so at the drugstore if I don't want to make a trip to a big box store for a different brand.

19. provobis

I got ambitious today and started experimenting before I intended to. Immediately found that the burner I was using is tired. I should have known better, although retired I had plenty of experience in servicing CD players that use the same laser technology as DVD players/burners. The laser was always the problem, needed replaced and as the years went by it was cheaper to just buy a new one. That's what basically put me out of business, throwaway products, and I was too old to start a new retail sales business.

So using another CD/DVD burner made all the difference, now DVD Flick does fine so I don't suppose I'll have any trouble with any other alternate software I might use. Thought you all would like to know.

Thanks to everyone that jumped in here and contributed. Major Geeks are the best. Thanks. :major

20. sach2

Thanks for posting the resolution.

Too bad we didn't live in the same town. CD/DVD players and now burners and I are like oil and vinegar--we don't mix well. I could have helped keep you in business--my laser disc stuff always starts giving me errors within a year. Everyone I talk to has units for so many years they don't even know how old they are. I must have a particular energy field that doesn't resonate well with lasers.

I'm glad you got things working.

21. lornaocal

lornaocal Private E-2

hi im new to downloading movies on to dvd using DVD flick but when i go to watch them the screen keeps flicking but when i watch the same movie on my laptop there is no problem....can anyone please help me..:)

22. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds