Home Network Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcrawfor, Nov 15, 2017.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

My home network consists of three Win 10 laptops (A, B, C) and one wireless printer. The Document folder on each computer is shared, all three computers are connected via the same wireless “private network” and all three laptops can access the printer and print. Also, all 3 laptops have no issues accessing the internet.

Regarding each laptop being able to access the others: This set up has been in place for a couple of years, and worked perfect for a long time. Actually for many years, dating back to when I had 3 different versions of windows (XP, 7 and 8) all on the same network.

Now... “A” can see and access both “B” and “C”; “B” can see “A” but can not access files. A message appears “enter network credentials”. “B” also receives an error message (not accessible... might not have permission) when trying to access “C”; and “C” can not see either of the other two laptops. Driving me nuts :).

Here's what I have done to date:

Scanned all laptops for malware and spyware.
    Rebooted modem, router and all laptops several times.
    Purchased a new router about 6 months ago, and everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Any suggestions?? Thanks

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've had very similar problems caused, I suspect by the Fall Creators Update. In my case all my Private Network settings were changed to Homegroup settings and all my All Network settings were changed to Turn on Password Protected Sharing. Putting these settings back the way they were has fixed all the problems. Ask if you need further clarification.

3. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

Thank you VERY much!!! That was the solution... "Turn OFF Password Protected" under Change Advanced Sharing Settings in Network and Sharing Center. Now I don't need to visit the Psych Ward :).

AtlBo likes this.
  4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

So it definitely was an update - thank you Microsoft! Thanks for the feedback btw :)

AtlBo likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds