How Can I Stop Mapsally And A Few Others?

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by Laurie, May 22, 2017.

1. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Hello. Are any or all of these malware? They often open a tab (usually after I click to type) when I'm online:
    MapsAlly video ads
    exclusivoffers.com
    whisper.sh
    lifescript.com

MapsAlly is the most annoying. I could not find it or MapsWorld in my list of programs. Any idea how to get rid of it? MalwareBytes doesn't help.

I'm using Firefox and wonder if that's a factor. Would changing to Edge (which I've avoided) help?

Thanks!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Try running this:

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
    • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
      Vista/Windows 7/8 and 10 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
    • Click on the Scan button.
    • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
    • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) will open in Notepad for review (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
    • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
    • Attach the logfile to your next reply.
    • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

3. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

When I clicked on Download, a new window opened with what looks like adware, medialaze. That's not part of AdwCleaner, right? Will try again if it doesn't download soon. Thanks.

4. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

5. TimW

Works for me.

6. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Here's the first file log (I renamed it slightly). I haven't yet clicked on "Clean." At a glance, I don't recognize any of the files, but of course am not familiar with registry files. Please take a look and let me know if it looks good to go ahead with "Clean." Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. TimW

You can go ahead and have it remove what it found.

8. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Done. If any of the culprits resurface, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

9. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Dang, PlutoTV opened a tab when I posted my last message here. Any suggestions on how to get rid of that?

10. TimW

What browser are you using? Have you deleted your extensions?

11. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Firefox. And I use Internet Explorer but only for accessing gmail; no problems with IE, but it's an old browser. Would it help to change to Edge for everything (dump Firefox)?

What are extensions and how can I delete them?

12. TimW

13. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Done. So far, all is well.

If you have info or a link where I can read a dummies explanation of extensions, please post it. I don't know what they are or how they got added. It may have been a coincidence, but the problems seemed to start when I changed search engines and tried Duck Go Go.

Thanks!

14. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds