How To Check If Windows 7 Iso File Is 'safe'

Discussion in 'Software' started by cellbiodoc, Mar 16, 2016.

1. cellbiodoc

cellbiodoc Private E-2

My hard drive died (totally dead, damaged and unusable). I got a new SSD to replace it but my laptop didn't come with an install disk for Windows 7 Home Premium. Microsoft won't let me download one because my key is a retail key. I found a site with an iso file (http://pcriver.com/operating-systems/windows-7-home-premium-iso-download/) but I want to make sure the iso is clean and safe before I use it. Does anyone know how I can check it out to make sure it's legit? Alternatively, does anyone know of a site where I can dl a clean iso for W7HP?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you actually mean your key is an OEM Key? The retail key should work at the Microsoft site. OEM versions need to be from the manufacturer. Contact your computer manufacturer and see if they can send you an installation DVD.

But, there is a site that gives information on acquiring Windows 7 retail installation isos using Torrent downloads from a German mirror site that has all of the Digital River isos. It's about 1/4 the way down the page.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The download link refers to a site called hitnfind.com
    I don't think I'd trust downloading from an unknown site.

The only place to download a safe clean Win 7 ISO is from Microsoft.
    There used to be a site called digital river but MS closed it. I think "pcriver" is playing on former site recognition.

I don't know your model of HP but there are safer options from HP.
    Here is a thread
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...Windows-7-ISO-for-my-OEM-License/td-p/4894132

4. mdonah

The link I placed is to PCSteps.com but the link provided there, about a quarter of the way down the page is for this site. The only way to check for validity is through the CRC checksums. But since the OP doesn't have a retail iso to compare with the Torrent download, he can't compare the two. FYI, I got my windows 7 Enterprise ISO from corenoc.de, purchased a separate retail key and have had no problems.

If the OP's key is actually an OEM key, it should still work for activation either online or via phone.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

mdonah, my comment was addressed to the OP, not you.
    The original site he/she posted, sends everyone to a different site for the download. I don't trust that download site. (hitnfind.com)

I wisely downloaded the Win 7 ISOs while the DigitalRiver site was operational and burned them to DVDs so I'd have them should I ever need them.

6. mdonah

Apologies. Yes, I saw that too (hitnfind) I didn't trust that site either any more than I trust Pirate Bay. I had forgotten about corendoc.de because it's been a while since I'd visited the site. It's still up and fairly current because there's a comment there by the author dated February of this year.

7. mdonah

@cellbiodoc

If your Product Key is, in fact, an OEM Key, it's different than a Retail Key. A Retail Key will activate either architecture (X86 — 32-bit OR X64 — 64-bit). An OEM Key will only activate the architecture that was originally installed on your computer NOT either/or. If you decide to get the ISO from corendoc.de make sure to get the original architecture that was pre-installed on your computer. The Product Key from the sticker on or in (perhaps under the battery) your computer will match that architecture only.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds