How to remove McAfee from context menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by XTAL256, May 1, 2010.

1. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

I want to get rid of the "Scan" context menu item that McAfee puts in explorer. I have tried the registry hacks that are all over the internet but they don't seem to work, perhaps because McAfee prevents any changes to itself (i know Norton has this feature, i assume McAfee has something similar). Or maybe i am just not doing it right.
    Rather than deleting it entirely, i would prefer to put it in the "extended" menu, the one that appears when you Shift+rightclick. Various sites say that i can just add a string value "Extended" to the key that wish to remove. So i found this key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\McCtxMenu
    But adding "Extended" (REG_SZ type) did not do anything. I also found the same key under HKCR\Folder\... but i had no luck there either.
    I even restarted by computer but it still hasn't taken effect.
    Any ideas?

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

To me, it's not really clear as to whether you are referring to Windows Explorer file manager or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    Assuming it's the former, those things are usually application configuration options.
    If it's not accessible through the programs 'Settings' or 'Options' or something, maybe it is set during the install process.
    If so, doing a re-install might provide a remedy.

This might provide a means to change the context menu entries.

Filemenu Tools

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. XTAL256

Yeah, sorry. I tried to be as specific as possible but i guess i wasn't specific enough, then again, you could blame Microsoft for their poor choice of naming :). I meant Windows Explorer.

I don't think there would be a setting since internet security programs don't often let you fiddle with those kinds of options. I will check anyway but i doubt there will be anything.
    Also, there are no options when installing either. Again, internet security programs don't tend to give you any control over them (for obvious reasons).

fyi, i want to use the registry and not one of those "clean up" programs. If i am to modify my system in such a way, i prefer to know what exactly is being changed.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

May also find some rightclick context additions in the below locations also

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

But also get ShellExView as it will help track down the location of the key as if it is a context menu file it could also be hiding under a CLSID code over an actual named file.

6. XTAL256

I see that ShellExView can be used as a stand-alone app without install, so i might try that.
    Initially i didn't want to use one of those programs because i would have to go through the hassle of installing it then uninstalling it and cleaning up any reg keys or data files that the installer didn't remove (yes, a lot of programs don't cleanly uninstall).

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Use Revo Uninstaller. It uses the programs uninstaller, if there is one, then also culls through the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds