How to unzip a file written in Russian

Discussion in 'Software' started by lindajayne, Jun 4, 2012.

1. lindajayne

lindajayne Private E-2

I am currently using Winrar to unzip charts downloaded from a site, but have found one that I really want to download but Winrar wont unzip and I think this is due to the name of the file being written in the Russian language. Any advice would be most welcome! Is there a programmed that is secure that you could recommend?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Winrar is a pretty reliable archiving utility. Does it give any error message?

7zip is also very good, if you want to try another utility.

Perhaps just renaming the .rar/.zip file to something like test.zip and then trying winrar again would be worth a quick shot. Problems with file names usually are related to using hyphens or apostrophes does your file have any of those?

If you want, give a link to the file and I can try to open it and take a look for what the problem might be.

3. lindajayne

lindajayne Private E-2

Thanks for replying sach2. Please bear with me cos I'm not particularly computer literate - far from being a geek!! I want to download a rar file from a social network site and the file name is written in Russian - It downloads okay but when I try to open the zipped file in my documents OneClickWizard say "Cannot open ???????-?????.rar. I assume it's due to the language. Obviously I can't change the name of the file as I can't get in it? What do you reckon is the best thing to do (apart from give up maybe!)?

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is your Windows version?

You may need to install Russian language support in order to handle Cyrillic file names.

5. sach2

Thanks pwillener, I didn't get notice of the original reply.

Please tell us your Windows version. I'm guessing XP. If you can give a link to the download file perhaps we can download it and just change the name to make it easier to extract. Win7 has a lot less problems with filenames in foreign languages and it may be easiest for us to just upload the file with a simpler name.

6. lindajayne

lindajayne Private E-2

Thanks so much for your help!! Yes I am using XP. It is very kind of you to offer to download and change the name for me - but there are probably some other files I want to pick up at a later date and I really would like to be able to do so myself. Gotta dash back to work now, but if you reckon 7zip is a good programme - I think I'll download that when I get a mo. If that's okay, should I then delete the Winrar programme? Also, as Pwillener suggests, would I need to install Russian language support, or wait to see if 7zip handles the language okay first.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  7. sach2

I think the problem is not with WinRar or OneClickWizard (which I have never used) but with XP itself having problems addressing a file with foreign characters. 7zip is fine but it will probably also have trouble since XP doesn't like the file name.

I don't have XP on this machine so I can't really tell you how to get Russian language support. I hope Pwillener can give you some steps.

Have you tried just going to the downloaded .rar file and right-clicking it and selecting Rename and then giving it a simple name like dog.rar? Then try to unzip/unrar it. That might get you through the unipping process then you would have to rename the actual chart file to an English name to view it.

8. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Pardon me for jumping in here and maybe I missed something but, when you download a file you should be able to give it whatever file name you want when you choose to save it. Can you re-download the file and save it with a newfilename.rar?

9. lindajayne

lindajayne Private E-2

Well I told you I wasn't very computer literate didn't I!!!!! I didn't know I could change the name of the file I was saving - That's worked fine and I feel like a right nana!! But I guess I've learnt something new on this amazing machine of mine!!!!! Thank you soooooo much for your input - You've certainly done your good deed for the day and put a big smile on my face!!! Thanks XXXXX

10. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

It was really sach2's post #5 that made the idea click:

11. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

That of course is a much easier solution (specifying the file name when downloading).

However, you may still have problems opening files inside the RAR archive if these file names contain Cyrillic characters. In that case you may still need to install Russian language support (Control Panel | Regional and Language Options | tab Languages).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds