Hurricanes, Floods, And Fires

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Ghostery seems to have solved the problem. Thank you!

2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Nice to hear good news for a change...they certainly sound well organised...hope they continue to remain safe.

Cheers

LS

Mimsy likes this.
  3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Thankful that Irma lost intensity when it made land in Florida. As bad as it was it could of been so much worse. Family and friends OK, but many without electricity and may be for a while. Still lots of damage across the State. Now hope everyone can survive the tornado.
    Sadly Caribbean Islands took a real hard hit.

4. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Good to hear family and friends ok...hope utilities get back to normal soon or at least sufficiently so people can get some normality back in their life.

Caribbean really hasn't had it good either..hope they can get back on their feet soon.

Incredible devastation...incredible people showing how resilient they are.

5. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Eldon likes this.
  6. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

It's over 3 months since Tropical Cyclone Debbie hit the coastline of our northern state, Queensland. With record high temperatures it added to the fire risk, stripping leaves and opening up forest canopies as she headed south towards our NSW border. We've felt the sting of her tail with high winds causing damage and yesterday forcing our Sydney airports to stop air traffic. High winds during our fire season around Australia spells disaster.

And it seems we're into an early start for the bushfire season...tonight it was reported that nationally there's been a thousand bush fires over the past week (found that incredible to believe). Just last Tuesday when driving home from work, I spotted a bush fire on the horizon (turned out it was a fire bug who started it). And on the same day, there was a bush fire just 5.5 miles from my home. Thankfully, my place is not in a bushland setting and a safe distance away. So at most, we get the smoke haze.

And by God's Grace, it has not been any where near as bad as the devastation brought about by the three hurricanes hitting the Atlantic.

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

These people have no morals or conscience.

Eldon likes this.
  8. oma

oma MajorGeek

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Tim (MA) left for NY for a bit to escape the hurricane, don't currently know how his home faired as not as yet asked.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  10. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

katkat and Eldon like this.
  11. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

12. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Here's a piece of an article from Miami Herald -

“Be prepared to camp for weeks,” Ramsay said. “If you don't have to come back yet to save your home or cannot add to the rescue effort, stay away. Stay away if you don't have enough supplies to live off the grid.:

County Commissioner Heather Carruthers posted on Facebook a suggestion that “if you have kids or pets, if you or anyone in your family has health problems, if you know your place is secure, if you do not have special skills that will be helpful in this recovery, please do not return to the Keys or Key West for a few days.”

If the Keys folk have to be campers (not Happy Campers)then the Islanders must be living like Hunter/Gatherers!
    Imagine burning pieces of your house or your neighbors' house for heat or light after dark. These folks are just having to do what they can just to survive.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article173810931.html

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you legalsuit. They went to Punta Cana (NE) A few palm trees were knocked down and the ocean water was a bit murky due to Irma but overall they really enjoyed it there. There was a drop between the beach and the water, caused by Irma. It was very hot and no breeze to cool off a bit. She said that food was good and the lobsters there were HUGE. lol Glad that everything turned out okay.

14. Imandy Mann

15. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Gosh. My heart really goes out to these people.

Do like the way some humour has been maintained by displaying this in the Keys area -

"The famous Key West southernmost buoy survived the storm with some scars. "
    [​IMG]

Imandy Mann likes this.
  16. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

<sigh!>

Like I mentioned in an earlier Post, these type of events bring out the best and worst of people.

One would think people would come close, work together and support each other to bring things back to the norm as soon as possible, but there are always those who are just ruthlessly selfish that cause the most problems, terrorising those trying to survive.

17. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Given they hadn't holidayed for a bit, glad it turned out well.

Cheers

LS

oma likes this.
  18. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

19. Anon-9aee479f8f

Then we have Hurricane Jose to worry about.

20. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

21. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

22. Anon-9aee479f8f

Truly sad to see the extent of damage they have to try to recover from.

23. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

24. Imandy Mann

In 1995 we moved here. October Opal hit here. This same week. In 2005 Katrina hit in August. The names went through to Wilma that I remember, maybe even further. There still 2 months of the season.

25. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Too much...never been so catastrophic for so long or as ongoing...really hope for calm so people can get their lives back in order.

26. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

It may pause, but I doubt it will stop. Overpopulation has caused so much global warming we may not be able to reverse it. Especially since overpopulation is not being targeted as the cause.

the mekanic likes this.
  27. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

[​IMG] It will stop around November, hopefully. Then, start all over again same time next year.

What catches my eye is the size of these storms versus years ago. Andrew was very destructive, but nowhere near the size.

[​IMG]

28. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Californian fires have been worrying noting death toll, my phone bill going up checking on friends' safety given their location, one family on a 3 acre block in redwood forest. Thankfully, they're safe and with road closures lifted allowed them to return home on Friday - but they stay on alert with fires 2-3 miles away.

Unbelievable to see so much going on over with hurricanes, fires and storms.

I hope soon to hear all things reaching a calm, so people can get on with their lives.

29. Anon-9aee479f8f

There is nothing left in the fires path. Sad!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds