I can't get any Microsoft Web page

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by annabub, May 4, 2004.

1. annabub

annabub Private E-2

I have tried several times over the last few days to access any Microsoft web page, specifically Microsoft.com. I always get logged out, bad gateway, etc.

Also, can you recommend a Trojan remover.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what OS are you using.

Sounds like something modified your hosts file.

3. annabub

annabub Private E-2

Hate to sound stupid, but what is an OS?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Operating System

5. annabub

annabub Private E-2

How do I find out what version of Windows I use? Sorry, but I'm new to this computer stuff.

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

right click my computer go to properties the first window pop up should state all the info you need. Good luck

7. annabub

annabub Private E-2

It's a Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1.

8. annabub

annabub Private E-2

I have run all the antivirus programs that I downloaded from this site, however, I think that whatever is in my computer is preventing me from accessing the Microsoft.com site. What do you suggest?

P.S. The message the comes up when I try to go there is:

Gateway timeout. The following error occurred:
    Server ureachable

Please contact the administrator.

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

go to this directory on your system

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

in there is a file called HOSTS. There may also be a file called HOSTS.SAM, we need not worry about that one. Just the one that says HOSTS with NO extension. Open it with notepad and copy and paste the contents to a post here so we can see what you have going on.

10. annabub

annabub Private E-2

Is this where I go to the Start, then RUN? Please walk me through this (to get to that directory).

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you can do that. Copy that location from my post and paste it into the RUN box. It will open up right to that location.

12. annabub

annabub Private E-2

I found that file alright, but need help to open it to Notepad.

I keep getting this message.

Windows cannot open this file. ...needs to know what program created it.

It is 1KB in size.

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

we'll make your life REALLY easy.. put this into the run box..

notepad "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

14. annabub

annabub Private E-2

Thank you very much. I'm sorry that I am a pain in the butt, but, here it is.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
    127.0.0.1 localhost

Also, I printed out the pages from Microsoft for Windows XP users: What to Do If Your Computer Has Been Infected by Sasser. Should I do Step 4 (which is to Improve System Performance, as my computer IS acting sluggish and the Internet connection is slow.

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Ok Anna, there is nothing in the hosts file that is causing this.

Lemme think and if anyone else has any ideas.. please post em.

16. annabub

annabub Private E-2

Now no graphics in Yahoo mail.

So, now I think something is really wrong. My Yahoo e-mail seems to be affected by whatever it is I have. The graphics (pictures) that accompany some of my messages, eg. from HBC.com, there are none, also with my book club flyer, nada.

17. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

sounds like you have cookies disabled..or other ad / content type blockers on your system.

18. annabub

annabub Private E-2

No, seriously, back to the MICROSOFT, what do you suggest I do? Should I disconnect my cable modem (disconnect fro the Internet), create a log file, improve system performance, (I enabled my firewall), then reconnect to the Internet? The reason for doing all this is because I want to install the required Security Update 835732 Bulletin MS04-011 to protect me from SASSER.

So you see, I need to be able to access MICROSOFT.COM.

19. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

20. annabub

annabub Private E-2

How would I do this? Specifically, how do I find out the router and host numbers using tracert in order to give the proper command to follow this?

21. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

OK, press Start->Run and enter "CMD" to open a command window. The command you need to use to trace the route to the Microsoft web site is:

tracert www.microsoft.com

This will then list the communication route from your computer to the destination. Given this information it should be possible to see where the communication is going and where it breaks down. Post the result back here.

By the way, what Firewall do you have?
    -------
    I know you stated that you "have run all the antivirus programs that I downloaded from this site" - did you do this with updated virus fingerprint data? and which ones did you try?

Did you try this http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25834 to ensure that there is nothing untoward that could affect your Internet communication.

22. annabub

annabub Private E-2

Maxwell, I did the tracert and got the following:

Tracing route to www2.microsoft.akadns.net [207.46.249.252] ovre a maximum of 30 hops.

1 Transmit error: code 65

Trace complete

(I copied exactly what came up). The following are anit virus things that I downloaded:

AVG 6.0 Anti-virus System
    avast! Antivirus
    Ccleaner
    HD Cleaner
    Lavasoft Ad-ware 6
    Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004
    Spy Sweeper
    Spy Bot
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyware Guard
    Zone Labs.

What now?

23. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

OK, I know you cannot get to Microsoft to read this, but I think your answer is in Knowledge base article 316414: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316414 That page has a number of links to information in order to solve the problem. The question is how to get it here. The problem is definitely at your PC and not with your ISP or beyond. Do you, perhaps, have or had Zone Alarm or similar?

I've copied the Microsoft page below, let me know if you need any of the reference links. Note that is refers to Ping but it should also apply to tracert since it uses the same network protocol:

"Ping: Transmit Failed, Error Code 65" Error Message When You Attempt to Ping Another Computer
    Applies To
    This article was previously published under Q316414
    SYMPTOMS
    When you attempt to verify network connectivity with another computer on the local network or on the Internet by using the TCP/IP Ping.exe command-line utility, you may receive a command-line error message similar to the following:

Ping: transmit failed, error code 65
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the following conditions are true:
    The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature is enabled.

-and-
    Firewall software from Zone Labs such as ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro is installed on the computer.

-and-
    The ZoneLabs program is not correctly configured for ICS.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, do one of the following as appropriate to your situation:
    Configure ZoneAlarm for ICS support. Please consult the program documentation or see the Zone Labs Web site for more information about how to configure ZoneAlarm for ICS. -or-

Remove the Zone Labs firewall software from the computer. Please consult the program documentation or contact Zone Labs at the ZoneLabs Web site for more information about how to do this.
    MORE INFORMATION
    For support for ZoneLabs products, see the following ZoneLabs Web site:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support.htm

For more information about ZoneAlarm or to contact ZoneLabs, see the following Zone Labs Web site:
    http://www.zonelabs.com

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

For additional information about Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    310563 Description of Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

306126 HOW TO: Configure Internet Connection Sharing

237254 How to Enable Internet Connection Sharing on a Network Connection

For more information about home networking and Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP, see the following Microsoft Web site to view the Microsoft Support WebCast:
    Support WebCast: Home Networking and Internet Connection Sharing in Microsoft Windows XP

For additional information about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP Connectivity in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    314067 How to Troubleshoot TCP/IP Connectivity with Windows XP

The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Last Reviewed: 11/4/2003 (1.2)
    Keywords: kbnetwork kberrmsg kbprb ocsso KB316414

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds