IE will not display .png images

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmurray7576, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jmurray7576

jmurray7576 Private E-2

png images display as little squares with a red X. jpg and gif pictures display normally.

I am running XP and using Internet Explorer. I am using McAFee but have loaded web pages with it disabled with no change

thanks in advance for your help.

intended to post this in internet or software forum, regrets

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. jmurray7576

jmurray7576 Private E-2

Thanks for the response.

I've gone through that MS Support page with no improvement. IE does display both jpg and gif graphics. Tried to "re-register" the pngflt.dll file (per another MS Support suggestion) and got the message "Dll Register Server entry point not found. File can not be registered."

I appreciate any insights, but will be away from this computer and will not be able to respond for a little while

Thanks

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

one site or many that wont display png, if one, the is it a site you coded? Could be improper coding.

5. jmurray7576

jmurray7576 Private E-2

The red "X" occur on many different sites, while other pictures display (jpg gif...). When I right click on the red X and select properties it is always a .png file.

This was going on with IE6 and I downloaded IE7 hoping that would help but nothing changed. Even the initial "Set you options page" of IE7 shows many red Xs. left Clicking on them has no effect.

Thanks in advance

6. phongbt

phongbt Private E-2

This problem may be seen after installing a third-party application, which may have altered the file class and MIME settings for the PNG file type. To resolve the problem, use these steps:

Download PNG_Fix.zip and save it to the Desktop.
    Unzip and extract the two files (pngasso_xp.reg and pngasso_vista.reg) to the Desktop.
    If you're using Windows XP, right-click pngasso_xp.reg and choose Merge. If you're using Windows Vista, right-click pngasso_vista.reg and choose Merge. Click Yes to confirm the merge operation. Additionally, in Windows Vista, you'll have to click Continue when you see the User Account Control elevation dialog.
    Note: The .REG files above should fix the file association and MIME settings for .PNG file types. File paths in the .REG files are hardcoded for C:\. If you have installed Windows in a different location than C:\, you'll need to edit the REG file(s) using Notepad and update the drive-letter and/or the Path accordingly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds