I'm learning so I'm asking

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by bigtrucks, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

SNAPP! It's my son's

2. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

she pays for it (BOY does she ever pay for itrolleyes)
    She is on the dial-a-fool plan (modem dial up)and she realizes this now.
    I think I'll just do the basic uninstall I don't want to mess anything up in her computer.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Just save the user information. I think it will store it for you.

4. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

OK what just happened:confused:confused:confused:confused
    I hit refresh seen a reply from a new member telling me to come join their sight.
    a very shady type caracter then I click on his name to find he was a newbie when I came back to my post he and his post was gone. You guys playing an early April Fools trick or what.:neener

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hahaha, but don't click on their sites please. You'll give the malware folks fits!:-D

6. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Yeah!Yeah! That was just so hilarious.
    look
    ! I'm laughing so hard that I'm :cry:-D

7. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

How did they do that anyway?

8. augiedoggie

Just by chance and your number came up is all. The mods saw it and got rid of it post haste it seems.:)

There will always be spam here and on any other website, we just have to be vigilant and hit the triangle on the top right to report one so that they can get rid of it. It's not a good idea to hit their links or reply either. :)

MG's has it pretty well under control.:cool

9. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I learned a long time ago if you don't know them/it and it doesn't belong to you don't touch it. This what I am trying to pounce into my friends head about her E-mial. Thanks:wave

10. augiedoggie

You got that right man!!! I wish some of my friends would listen to that!:( I will not disinfect them again for free and they know it. Man, I gave them all the tools as stated here in the malware forum but someone, probably their kid, got rid of the protection. That's their tough luck for using P2P!:mad

I'll stop ranting now.:-D

11. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I have MBAM installed already but it doesn't want to open properly from dsktp. Should I just nuuinstall then reinstall. It loads but is really slow doing it.

12. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Thanks I'll get with you later on that later.

13. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Neveer mind I found where to fix it at. got the up dated from here(MG)
    Thanks anyway:hyper

14. the mekanic

Y'know augie, would should just record a speech regarding that broken record, and send IT out as a virus!!! ;):-D

15. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

:confusedHUH:confused

16. the mekanic

bigtrucks:

I learned a long time ago if you don't know them/it and it doesn't belong to you don't touch it. This what I am trying to pounce into my friends head about her E-mial. Thanks

Augie:

"You got that right man!!! I wish some of my friends would listen to that!:( I will not disinfect them again for free and they know it. Man, I gave them all the tools as stated here in the malware forum but someone, probably their kid, got rid of the protection. That's their tough luck for using P2P!:mad

I'll stop ranting now.:-D"

mekanic:

Y'know augie, would should just record a speech regarding that broken record, and send IT out as a virus!!!

17. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

OK can someone explain why I can not run the mbam and why I keep getting an error message(not always the same no.# at the end of it) and why it sometimes is running out of sight(no window opens ) the only way I can tell it is running is when I click the icon again thinking it did not start. I"ve reinstalled uninstalled up dated.:confused Let's see did I miss anything.:tas jeeezzz luuuwweeezz it is keeping me from finishing the clean process.

18. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I finally got it to show in a window by way of the task manager, started an up date. Just as it was at the last to up date that stupid error came up again. Now I downloaded it from MBAM site this time. Can someone please tell me if I doing something wrong or is the program messed up.

19. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Post a screen shot or specific error message, I don't understand the issue?

20. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

A box pops open saying "Error loading database. Line 29042" right now. Before it was 47949 and 51769. It comes up with different numbers each time.( sorry don't know how to do screen shots) if I click the "OK" button everything disappears.

21. Major Attitude

22. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I've done that 2 or 3 times. Still get same. I will try the gt500.org . Thanks.

23. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

OK went there downloaded tried it again same thing different #. Should I try to reinstall mbam since I've just did the database?

24. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I just noticed an icon on my desktop that has the name
    "Desktop.ini I click properties it saaid it was a configuration settings type of file created in 01\03\03; and location was C:]Documents and settings.... When I opened it(opened in notebook)

[LocalizedFileNames]
    Windows Media
    Player.Ink=@C:\windows\inf\unregmp2.exe,-4

I went to system lookup-CLSID sight there was a long list and in the description it read:

Downloader trojan, member of the FakeAlert aka SmitFraud malware family - produces IEDefender or similar popups - also see here - NOTE: this file is located in the Windows or Winnt directory, and must NOT be confused with the legitimate Windows Media Player file of the same name, always located in %SysDir%!

Could this be the key to all my problems? I have no Idea how it got on my desktop and it wasn't there 2 days ago.

25. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Question?
    How, If I can,save/subscribe to a thread that I want to look at later that says not available for subscription. I know one way is fav.'s but is there another way that I can do this while I'm already logged on with out having to open another tab/window?Just curious. Thanks.

26. the mekanic

Post this in Malware!!

27. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Would formatting get rid of it?

28. the mekanic

formatting gets rid of everything. A extra special 35 pass format makes it the deletion so permanent, it may as well be new...

29. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

No help, but just a funny thought.
    A mekanic working on bigtrucks rig.
    Very appropriate.

30. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

AHH JEEEZZZ hrlow2

I'm laughing so hard ya got me to crying

roflmaoroflmaoroflmao:cry:cry:cry

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE:drool (I've also got a bridge for sale if you're interested:-D:-D

31. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Thought it was kinda cute myself.

32. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

trust me I did start laughing,but I think my other half really didn't get it.(I'm the puter /elctronic person in the home).who cares.I got it. Thanks.

33. the mekanic

34. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

QUESTION again
    formatting Dell Dimension Dimm2350,@ part of Format using NTFS file system "QUICK" and then the next line say the same thing without the QUICK at the.
    Is there any difference other then the first being "quicker"?

35. Major Attitude

Mostly time. Quick does the job.

36. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

37. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I'm stumped. I'm formatting -at the resorceCD-controller Drives-Intel USB 2.0 Rev: A01-00
    when I click to extract and get the install introduction it tells from the device manager right-click on the Universal Serial Bus Controller WITH the yellow ? mark the problem there is no ? mark on the USB controller just on others(ethernt...)
    where do i go from here?

38. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Hi.......

39. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I formatted the pc used operating systems CD-window xp and the Divers and Utilities-ResourceCD and I can't seem to get on the internet by way of broadband. Any advice?

40. augiedoggie

Erm, you're better off posting this in the drivers or networking forums. This is only for intros and not for tech help as many techie types don't look at these posts here. Post as much info as you can, including your mobo so that the gurus can see. Don't worry if it's in the wrong forum as this can go either way IMHO.

41. the mekanic

If I remember right, that ethernet connection is not integrated. It is connected via the PCI bus. If someone upgraded the card, and chances are they did, that's probably the problem. It can't recognize that card with the OEM set of drivers.

42. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

In the device manager right under modems it has "others" with a yellow ? mark when I click on the + sign the first in the list is ethernet controller. It's local is in PCI Slot 4 but the statue says that it's not installed. Will clicking reinstall driver help?

43. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Sorry Augiedoggie didn't see your post. I'll try them. Thanks

44. the mekanic

If what I think is the case, no. See you in the rest of the forum!!!

Baby steps, chapter two!!!!

45. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I solved that problem. It was a matter of going to dell web and downloading the
    Broadcom 4401 Integrated NIC that was not installed because when SOMEONE and I won't name names rolleyes (bigtrucks)formatted the first time it cleared it.:hammer
    SO I guess you didn't guess right:-D it is integrated but that's ok as I said before we're human and that's that.

NOW the last task,:eek Trying to get it to connect to the internet through aol with out all that downloaded:crap When I was in software forum BlackPhoenix said
    "i did this a few years ago on a neighbors PC and it improved her no end - i can't remember exactly how i did it, but i do remember all i basically did was set up her computer to do a manual dial-up using the 'modem' options. but if your friend has a separate modem, and not just the one inside the pc then this guide may help a lot:

its an old forum post - but whats true then should be true now, if it doesn't work for you i apologise - but everythings worth a try =D"

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8276526
    So I guess it is worth a try.

But serious people THANK YOU for the help and the lesson. That's why I ask so I can learn.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds