Input Devices And Screen Turns Off But The Fans To The Computer Are Still Spinning. What Should I Do

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johand8848, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Johand8848

Johand8848 Private E-2

Hello!

My computer randomly stops functioning no matter what I am doing with it at the moment. The keyboard, mouse, and screen turns off. The lights of the power button stay on but the button does not respond to me pressing the power button. The fans of the computer continue spinning. I have to pull the power cable to get the computer to turn off. Even after that, the lights to the power button stay on for about 10 seconds. When I plug in the power cable again and try to boot the computer it works fine for a whole day or so.

Any help is appreciated!

Computer specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)

3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 2694 MHz (27.00x99.8)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H-CF

BIOS: F50, 11/27/2019

Chipset: AMD B450 (Low-Power Promontory PROM26.A)

Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1463 MHz, 16-18-18-36

- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Graphics: Powercolor RX 5700 Red Devil/Dragon

AMD Radeon RX 5700, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM

Drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s

Drive: ST4000DM004-2CV104, 3907.0 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s

Drive: SAMSUNG MZ7LF128HCHP-00004, 125.0 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s

Sound: ATI/AMD Navi10 - High Definition Audio Controller

Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller

Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 18363.657 (1909/November 2019 Update)

PSU: https://www.inet.se/produkt/6903813/kolink-enclave-500w. It is a few weeks old.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try pressing and holding the power button for about 5 seconds to shut it down. Doesn't fix your problem but that's often easier than pulling the power cord. Alternatively, your PSU has a master power switch on the back. If easy to reach, you should be able to flip that to off (0) for a few seconds, then back to 0n (1), then press the computer's front panel power button to turn the computer back on. Flipping that switch removes total power in the same was as unplugging from the wall.

Lights and fans spinning tells us there is some power, but PSUs are supposed to output +12, +5 and +3.3V and those voltages need to be distributed to several points. Spinning fans does not mean the PSU is totally fine. Since everything depends on good, clean, stable power, that is where you need to start - by swapping in a known good supply.

Also check to make sure all power connectors are securely fastened, the CPU fan spins freely, and the interior is clean of heat trapping dust. You might try running with just one stick of RAM too. Just remember to take necessary ESD precautions. Unplug from the wall (or flip master switch) and touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static electricity in your body BEFORE reaching in towards the RAM or power connectors.

3. Digerati

Carol or Johan?

Please understand "shotgun" posting your problem on multiple forums like this is considered poor forum etiquette. It can also result in you getting conflicting results.

It also raises suspicions you are not sincere because past history tells us this type activity is a prank and potentially malicious.

It will also be poor forum etiquette if you do not go back to every site you posted this question on and submit a followup post with the resolution once you find it. Leaving threads dangling is frowned upon.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1392617-input-devices-and-screen-turns-off-but-the-fans-to-the-computer-are-still-spinning-what-should-i-do/

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...r-are-still-spinning-what-should-i-do.426606/
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/input-devices-and-screen-turns-off-randomly.1241026/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/fbte22/input_devices_and_screen_turns_off_but_the_fans/

satrow and wile e coyote like this.
  4. Johand8848

Johand8848 Private E-2

Thank you for your reply. When I get a reply that solves my issue I will delete all other accounts. This is not a prank, I am just having a very hard time figuring this problem out. Once again, thank you for the reply, any help is appreciated!

5. Digerati

Deleting serves no one. What you are doing is like sending all your children to stand in the queue at a busy store so you can get in first ahead of everyone else. That is not appropriate when all the helpers on these forums are volunteers.

6. Johand8848

Johand8848 Private E-2

Yes, I see your point. I am grateful for all of the answers and will think about what you wrote next time I have a problem and want to post something! Btw I have posted numerous things on Reddit and waited for weeks without getting a reply. I am also pretty new to these computer forums, but that does not of course justify what I have done.

Take care!

7. Digerati

Thanks for your understanding. Waiting for weeks is unacceptable - though there is a possibility no one knew the answer so you got no response.

The best way is to pick one site you think might be able to help and post your question there. Give it a day or two and if no answer, then perhaps another site.

And remember, forums are places to learn, and to share what you have learned. That's why I said deleting serves no one. Others may have the same problem as you. If you are able to resolve your problem, and you share the solution, that helps them too.

baklogic likes this.
  8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Go back to
    jnelsoninjax @ neowin- He suggested that your psu might not be powerful enough-answer him, andsee where you go from there

wile e coyote likes this.
  9. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Sound's like the power supply to me. 500 watt's is not enough for the system. Just the AMD Ryzen 5 2600X takes up 96 watts.Just my AMD Rx7 takes roughly 300 watts to run.So figure around 400 watts just for them two parts.I would say get a 650 watt power supply.''

I would go with this one https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Warranty-220-G5-0650-X1/dp/B07WDLTKNM/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1583299721&refinements=p_89:EVGA,p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:6906985011&rnid=6525659011&s=pc&sr=1-2

Or go with a 700 or higher watt up to you.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  10. Digerati

That PSU might be stretched a bit under a full load, but even then 500W is still adequate. If it was underpowered, it would not work fine all day long, as the OP reported it does once they finally get it going. I note it is extremely rare for a CPU and the graphics solution (along with all other components) to demand maximum power at the same point in time.

The OP does not have an RX7 so it make no sense to use that as an example to make a point.

I am not saying the OP's PSU is good. As I noted initially, it needs to be swapped out with a known good supply to verify it is outputting proper power. But I am saying the fact it is only 500W is not the problem here.

Note any decent PSU calculator will verify this. Sadly, the site for my favorite, the Outervision eXtreme Power Supply Calculator is down right now, but there are several other calculators you can use.

Note that ALL PSU calculators OVER estimate. The last thing any of them want to do is recommend an underpowered PSU. I prefer Outvisions because it is the most flexible, allowing it to be the most conservative too. If you want to pad the results, it is easy to do by pushing the utilization settings or adding more components, etc.

In any case, I just tried PCPartPicker's, MSI's and Neweggs and even the EVGA PSU Power Meter and all recommend less than 500W is needed for the components the OP listed. The EVGA calc, for example, suggests the SuperNova 450GM Gold.

If a new PSU is needed, I would recommend 550-600W as that would give you a little more headroom in case you want to add or upgrade components in the future. Also, the larger supply would allow the PSU to run a little less near capacity when pushed, thus cooler and therefore quieter. I HATE fan noise.

That said, I do really like EVGA supplies too. I used them almost exclusively these days (along with Seasonic). I have an EVGA 550 in this computer. Even when pushed and the fan is spinning, I cannot hear it unless I put my ear to the back of the computer. And even then it is more "feeling" the air blowing on my ear.

700W or higher would be overkill and a waste of money unless you stumbled on a really good sale price.

11. Digerati

The Outervision eXtreme Power Supply Calculator website is back up! :) Use it to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements based on your current hardware.

If buying a new PSU, plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra drives, a bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.

12. Anon-469e6fb48c

Normally AMD Radeon RX video cards require at least 300 watt's.Mine a RX 570 that is why i was stating not enough power.He would be pushing the PSU very close to 500 watts.

I have a 850 watt psu in my system for future upgrades.If op decided to go with water cooling then you would need a bigger power supply for water pumps.

And if op goes with a Ryzen 2700x later on that requires 105W which is what i have currently.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  13. Anon-469e6fb48c

14. Digerati

If, if, if!

We are not talking about "what ifs". We are talking about the hardware he is currently using. And that is a Ryzen 2600X, not a 2700X. And it is a RX 5700 not a RX 570.

And with that hardware he currently has, 500W is fine - assuming the PSU is not faulty which swapping with another would determine.

That is incorrect! AMD "recommends" a wattage value for the entire system - not the card alone. As it stands, the RX 5700 has a typical power demand of 180W, not 300W.

So again, with that card and the CPU he has, 500W is plenty. The fact he states when he connects the power cable again and boots the computer "it works fine for a whole day or so" is solid proof the PSU's wattage capacity is not the issue here.

Yes, IF he upgrades to more power hungry components, then a bigger PSU would be needed. But this thread is not about "if" he does this or "if" he does that.

And this thread is not about the hardware you have. :(

"Kinda" ??? :( That would be like suggesting all Corsair PSUs are junk because some of their entry models have given some people problems. Yet clearly, Corsair's top tier lines are very good PSUs and often recommended.

And BTW, that link to Toms you provided shows the same (not "kinda") 500W is serving the user just fine.

So how about we talk about helping the OP based on his current hardware and symptoms?

satrow likes this.
  15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

16. Johand8848

Johand8848 Private E-2

After updating the graphics driver for my RX 5700 I have not experienced any more problems. I have tested the computer for multiple days. I will update this thread if I experience more problems!

17. Johand8848

Johand8848 Private E-2

Thank you for your time!

18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks for coming back, and we will all be pleased to know you found a solution, by updating the driver.
    To make everyone who might have tried to help, it would be nice to hear that you have updated the other sites you went to for answers.
    Basically, it can be of use to others with similar problems.

Imandy Mann likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds