internet explorer stopped working and kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by jannie3, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jannie3

jannie3 Private First Class

Hi everyone. Im new to majorgeeks and hope one of you clever folk can assist me with this problem. I am continually getting Internet Explorer has stopped working and when checked for solutions advised non available.
    This is happened 100s of times in last the few weeks. Im also getting only part of a webpage displayed on many websites (including this one)and unable to display the page error. This comes and goes as Im reading the page. The globe icon appears in the error crossed out with a red cross and the page error states retype address go back to previous page, likely causes not connected to internet, website encountering problems.

As its stopping me doing much on the PC I looked up how to do an event viewer, checked that, and it says that the type of error is APPCRASH iexplore.exe. The source name in the event view is App Hang and says the fault module name is kernel32.dll version 6.0.6002.18449.
    Any ideas of how I can fix it?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What version of Windows and what version of IE are you running? Do you have ALL of the latest updates including the latest version of IE for your version of Windows?

Be advised that IE versions 6 through 11 are subject to a recent exploit that even the Federal Government was made aware of.

3. jannie3

Hi there mdonah. Im using Windows Vista. I dont know what version of Internet Exploret Im running. How do I find out? I have the PC set to update automatically so hope Ive got all the latest. Since posting my first message Ive also got a NVIDIA service update error ie 'failed to start'. Could this be linked to the problems Im having?

4. mdonah

The nVidia problem isn't related to IE. For Vista, the version of IE you're running should be version 9. Even though you've got updates set to automatic, I would still go to Control Panel -> Windows Update and click on check for updates. Also select updates for other products. Windows may have an update for the NV4 disp file it installs during OS installation. If not, check the nVidia site for any updates.

5. jannie3

Ive checked all that as you instructed but cant check NVIDIA as update service is not working from my PC. I can also confirm that Im running Internet Explorer 9. Is there anything else I should be doing?. Ive got a feeling that I need to resolve fault kernel32.dll version 6.0.6002.18449. But I dont know what it is or how to set about getting rid of it. Im still getting constant internent explorer has stopped working constantly and also error message on webpages as detailed above. Thanks

6. mdonah

It sounds like a file has become corrupted. Do you have the Vista installation DVD? If you do, go to Start -> Run... and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and including the space between the c and forward slash, then hit Enter. This is the System File Checker. It may ask for the DVD. This will attempt to repair/replace any corrupted/missing system files.

7. jannie3

hi again mdonah. I did the scannow process before and thats how i found out the name of the Fault Module kernel32.dll. When I checked there were no solutions available on the pc help page or windows. Thanks

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. jannie3

Hi plodr. No sadly it hasnt worked and Im still getting this error which shows at the side of this webpage i'm on now. It reads 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'

What you can try:

It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Most likely causes:
    •You are not connected to the Internet.
    •The website is encountering problems.
    •There might be a typing error in the address.

10. plodr

Well that tells us it is not an addon causing the problem.

How do you connect to the internet? Could it be that your internet connection is dropping out?

11. jannie3

Hi again plodr Ive got broadband internet. Lately the whole connection seems slow and most times Im also contstantly getting google or whatever site is not responding windows is checking for solution. It eventually comes back but takes ages. Ive still got a feeling its to do with the fault kerneldll but I could be wrong .When I did the scan though the result showed this as the reason for the app hang/app crash as detailed in my earlier message.

12. plodr

Well I never installed Vista and I don't use IE so I can't do any tests.

Ordinarily, I would say install a 2nd browser to see how it behaves. But the browser I used to recommend, FF, has become very strange with the latest version, v29. I've switched to PaleMoon and am very happy with it because it is based on FF v 24. Since this browser is new to me and I don't know everything about it, I can't be that helpful if you ask questions.

You might try installing another browser just to see if it gives you all the problems.

Here's what kernel32.dll means
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kernel32dll.htm
    basically it has to do with the windows operating system.

From here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
    it suggests downloading and reinstalling IE 8 or 9, whichever version you are running.

13. jannie3

right plodr I have uninstalled and reinstalled internet explorer 9. It took me an age as Im not particulary adept at pc stuff . Im still having same issues though. Im now going to look for a download which will hopefully get rid of the kernel error and will let you know if that works. Thanks very much for your time so far.

14. jannie3

Hi again plodr. Since I last posted I decided to do another 'scannow'. the results show that kernel error has gone only to be replaced by a windows sidebar error. the log reads Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6002.18005, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS,. On looking around the web I found a site which showed me how to install a new sidebar and use that instead of the corrupted one. However, the internet explorer cannot display the page error still shows. Its funny as this error is located at the right hand side of the page Im viewing ie where the sidebar is located. On this site it always appears then disappears after a few minutes or so. Im also still getting internet explorer stopped working continuously .Do you think it is the sidebar thats causing these issues?

15. plodr

You are asking the wrong person.
    1. I never used Vista.
    2. I never use Internet Explorer.
    3. I don't use sidebars on anything.
    So basically, I'm clueless on your issue.

16. jannie3

Ok plodr. I will try another forum . Thanks for your responses.

17. mdonah

I'm running Vista Ultimate and my Sidebar only has the analogue clock and the CPU meter. Microsoft discontinued the gadgets for the sidebar because they presented security risks. They use applets for Windows 7 sidebar. So, it is possible one of the gadgets you're running in the Vista sidebar has caused the issue. I'd close the sidebar and leave it closed.

18. jannie3

Hello mdonah. Ye I will close the sidebar and see what happens from there. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds