Introduction And Question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by mysong, Nov 19, 2017.

1. mysong

mysong Private E-2

Hi, just joined. Hoping to get some advice/info/feedback on the following --

I currently live outside the U.S. and I am thinking of buying a new laptop (or perhaps a tablet) on Cyber Monday. All I want is something for email, skype, and internet. Also to watch some US tv shows and movies. It would also be nice to be able to read books on a screen, in case I am somewhere where I don't have access to English books like I have now. Is Kindle my only option?
    My current laptop (a Lenovo) is almost 5 yrs old and still works OK but it's heavy, probably close to 6 lbs. That's a lot to add to a carry-on when weight is a factor. Plus now there are some countries one flies from into the U.S. where it's required to put electronics into checked baggage so adding so much more weight limits me for other things I would want to pack.
    Wondering if any of you have any thoughts about what I should get? Are tablets sufficient for what I want to do? I think I would need one that has a Win OS, if I went that route, but I'm just not up to date on technology so could use some advice. Was looking at the Acer Chromebook R13 Convertible. Any thoughts, pro or con, about this option?
    I currently have an HDMI cable connecting my laptop to my TV so I can project Netflix and USTV.com onto the larger screen. Haven't done any other streaming here, and have no idea what I might want to do in the future.

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

DavidGP likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds