Is netgear routers really good or bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xnitro67, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

im tryin to figure out if netgear is really good or just a router thats not made for wireless gaming. The netgear is a WNDR3300 RangeMAX. ive heard that its really made for LAN not wireless. also ive heard from someone that DLink are good for gaming.
    Ive got 1 PC on a LAN port 1 Wireless PC and a wireless Xbox 360.
    Issue: I loose connection randomly, Cable Modem restarts on its own(makes me have to wait sometimes).

Is there a better router out there than this one or something is wrong cause it never did this before.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dont think any personally are good for gaming wifi as wifi is not stable enough imho, better to game on ethernet.

Netgear for me have not let me down in their routers at all, not using one now but have 3 in my spares bin, using a Thompson wifi my ISP gave as its good enough.

I would check on an updated Firmware update for your router at Netgear and also unplug any device apart from the PC or Xbox if using that to game and see if you get the same disconnections.

Is your ISP service stable? the modem restarts could be a poor service from your ISP and them disconnecting you, check with their support to see if they can test the line for quality.

If not the Xbox that your gaming on and a PC then what version Windows?

3. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

i randomly use my pc for game its mostly my xbox, and theres nothing connected to it besides 1 wired PC 1 wiress pc (mine) and 1 wireless xbox. The call of duty games are mostly an issue because if i become host ill randomly lag the game and makes the game quit(it never did that). I have updated the router but even if i upgrafe or not it has issues.

also few days ago the router was not outpointing any internet i had to unplug every thing including the backup battery in the modem to actually make it work again.

I just need one that will work for wireless gaming cause my mother wont like all the cords everywhere.

4. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

Update:
    at times i think either bitcomet, DMZ, or a network attack (kaspersky says theres one) has to do with it. i went to my logs of the router(tells what ip connecting to the other ip) and i saw that bitcomets port was showing and also the ip that the dmz was on there(which is my xbox). also i changed the ip of the router was 192.xxx.x.1 now its 192.xxx.x.100
    i figured it could have something to do with it.

i dont know i was messin with it alot thats all.....
    and some people think all routers work the same(yea right!)

5. Xnitro67

Xnitro67 Corporal

you could be right because the last time the isp came over they checked it and said we had a low signal. all that i think he did was added a cable splitter, and told us to remove the splitter that was using both internet and tv(mom wanted it that way so she have a tv in her computer room).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds