Is Time Time To Split Again?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by foogoo, Feb 6, 2026.

  1. foogoo

    foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

    Back in the day Windows had a business OS and a consumer OS, is it time to go back to that?
    I just read an article that it will take admin to look at storage properties. I know business wants the OS locked down, just a platform, to run Citrix apps and "Island" browser. Are we going back to the early days of the Internet box? (WebTV)
     
  2. fleppen

    fleppen Gumshoe

    It's looking more and more like Linux is the way to go in the near future.
     
    all4jesus and D.H. like this.
  3. plodr

    plodr MajorGeek Super Extraordinaire Moderator Staff Member

    Linux is too fussy for me. I gave up using it a decade or so ago. I actually prefer android and ChromeOS. No muss nor fuss with updating - I don't have to see if I have the correct repositories. I don't have to worry about different sound drivers. Since people seem to spend a great deal of time on their phones, android might just overtake Windows.
    I'm getting old and no longer want to spend time trouble-shooting. I want to turn on a device and use it.
     
    xrobwx71 likes this.
  4. D.H.

    D.H. Private E-2

    Don't know IF you had/have seen this (below links) about Google wanting to "LOCKDOWN" Android and remove it from being Opensource. Android freedom IS under ATTACK from Google... IF this happens it MIGHT change your thinking. Quite frankly this ISN'T good IF this happens. I go out of my way to AVOID ANYTHING Google, I search for other sites to download Android Apps from. And quite frankly DON'T appreciate when I come here to Major Geeks to download an Android App only to be "REDIRECTED" to a Google site/Google Play Store to download the App. I DON'T trust Google thus my searching out other sites to download Android Apps from.


    https://www.change.org/p/stop-google-from-limiting-apk-file-usage

    https://techhub.social/@keepandroidopen/116251892296272830

    https://techhub.social/@keepandroidopen/

    https://keepandroidopen.org/
     

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds