jpeg logo showing wrong

Discussion in 'Software' started by lydanial, Jan 13, 2006.

1. lydanial

lydanial Private E-2

this isnt major... but annoying.

i have lost my jpeg logos they just show up in my folders as the standard windows logo for anything windows doesnt know what it is.
    they are saved as jpgs, and open perfectly fine but i am really annoyed about it. please help.

i have just tried saving as other formats and none of them have a logo except bitmap

thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which Windows version?

This is for XP but should be similar for the other win versions, try this right click the image icon and choose Properties.. does it say next to type of file does it say JPEG? and underneath next to Opens With what does it say?

what you could try is right click the file and choose Open With then Choose Program ... then from the list choose Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ... tick the "always use selected program to open...." with box at the bottom and click apply.

if its anything to do with assigning an icon to that file type then I will have to continue this when I get home, unless someone else carries on.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can also go into my computer, tools, folder options. CHoose File Types, and locate the extension in question--there are several jpeg extensions. Delete it, and it will rebuild with what Windows uses for default.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. lydanial

lydanial Private E-2

thank you halo, that was the answer.

does it now mean then that i cant set my jpegs to open with anything other than this programme?? ie paint or ulead?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, you can choose other programs as well. That was just the default application.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yeah as Adryn said once a default is set you can choose any program to open the image file.. but glad that worked for you :)

A. double click opens with default set program

B. right click open with you can choose any software you wish, just leave the "always open with ...... " unticked in this instance.

TweakUI is a very good tweaking app to have.. I always install it on any PC I use, never know when you will neeed to adjust a setting.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Agreed. I have to use the rebuild icon cache function of it a lot it seems like.

Handy app.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds