Keyboard That Uses Less Force To Type? 'low-profile' Vs. 'mechanical'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robert707, Jan 3, 2018.

1. robert707

robert707 Corporal

I'm looking for a keyboard that uses less force to type. (I have a heart condition where just typing is a bit of a strain.) At first I was just looking into 'low profile' key boards where the keys look very low to the board, assuming this would make the difference. Then as I looked further I heard about 'mechanical'?? I'm wondering about the differences.

Initially I was just considering something like this Anker keyboard:

Anker Ultra-Compact:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00PIMKN1Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IP6A2Y4ITYX1E&colid=2SP7WUOPZKFVJ&psc=0

It says there is a scissor-spring mechanism on the keys...not sure if this is a good or not. I'm looking for least resistance possible keyboard.

Or this Logitech:
    Logitech K400: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014EUQOGK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IFDIZE36B7EG8&colid=2SP7WUOPZKFVJ&psc=1

I'm only just just hearing about 'mechanical' keyboards now. Would those be better or about the same for what I'm looking for? I've read that they are supposed to be good for typing but also about the 'clicky'-ness people like about those which sounds kind of resistive. I don't need one for gaming just for easier typing.

2. EJB

EJB Corporal

My wife auditions them in PC World or other dealers for specific models!?
    We don't find that reviews truly indicate the different feel each keyboard has....so she tries before she buys!

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to search for "soft touch keyboards".
    Actually, most mechanical keyboards have a firm positive click. This is very desirable to many users but I don't think they are what you want.

Understand there has to be some resistance and return mechanism or the key would just sit pressed. Not good.

There are such thing as capacitive touch keyboards that require just a touch and not pressing down on a key. But I have no experience with them.

See this for more information: Is there such a thing as an ergonomic light touch keyboard?

robert707 likes this.
  4. EJB

EJB Corporal

Copied from Digerati's link:-

"So is there such a thing a an ergonomic light touch keyboard?

It is all very subjective, and what is comfortable for one person may feel very uncomfortable for another. In our view there is no one-type-fits-all keyboard and unfortunately there is nothing to beat trying out the keyboard that you want to buy beforehand."

As my wife has been doing for 60 years;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds