Laptop No Longer Recognizes My Iphone 6s

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by ksdaddy, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy Private E-2

I have an iPhone 6s and I am using an older Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. I do not have iTunes installed on this computer. I don't store any music on my iPhone. I only connect my iPhone to this laptop to transfer photos and videos. Until recently, when I plugged in the cord, a window would pop up on the iPhone asking if I wanted to 'trust this computer' or 'allow access to my photos', to which I would click okay, and the iPhone would show up in My Computer as another drive, just like a flash or other external drive.

Lately when I plug it in, I get the same 'trust this computer' window, at which point it asks me for my six digit access code. I should state that by this time, the phone has already vibrated (acknowledging that something is plugged into it) and the charging function was working. I enter the access code and then nothing. It continues to charge but does not show up in My Computer.

There have been no changes or upgrades on this computer. I've likely updated the iPhone operating system in the past week or two, I don't recall. I've gone into Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and it states that it is working properly and it is the proper driver.

I've done the standard reboot on both items, and tried three cords, one of which is an Apple product (the others were WalMart but worked fine).

Any guidance is welcome.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

All the fixes I'm seeing refer to iTunes on the computer.

When I search for fixes without iTunes on the computer, the sites want to install other software. I won't link to any site I don't know to install software I'm not familiar with.

That might be how the problem was created.

Maybe something here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778
    make sure the phone is unlocked; it seems to say enter the code before you get the Trust popup.

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

4. Techjourney

Techjourney Private E-2

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The above site shows the phone connected to the PC by a cable. If the PC doesn't recognize the phone, what is the point of installing another app?
    It also mention iTunes. The OP stated iTunes is not on the PC.

6. juniormeyer

juniormeyer Private E-2

7. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

This may be one of the rare cases where you need Bonjour installed.

8. brilang

brilang Private First Class

There's a good chance the newer versions of iOS (iPhone operating system), need iTunes installed to even be recognized by Windows (7 and onward). Apple keeps shifting security functionality with each iOS release. This is an old post so I'll assume the original poster resolved the issues by now, but for those having the same issue refer to Apple's public HT (how to) articles about this.

Quote from linked article: "Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes on your PC. Importing photos to your PC requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302#importpc

9. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Gotta love ol's sly dog Apple hey!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds