Laptop Not Starting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jomumo4, May 17, 2017.

1. jomumo4

jomumo4 Private E-2

IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0345.JPG This morning I pressed the power button on my laptop. It started to boot up, but then just stopped and went off again. I tried pressing the power button again, both long and short presses, but it's unresponsive. Now it's repeatedly (every 5 seconds) flicking as if to turn on, but in a split second stopping. The laptop is plugged in to the mains and the indicator light for the battery charging is on constantly. When it 'flicks' the power light and the hard drive lights flick on, and I can hear the hard drive disc start to spin. But it instantly stops (less than half a second) and then in five seconds repeats. Is it beyond resuscitation? If I cut its power sources, will tat wreck any chances?

I know you need to know details of the laptop, but I'm not technically savvy at all...just know how to use the software! I have included shots of the labels on it in hopes that will be enough. It is still running Windows 7, with updates regularly done.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Unplug it from the power socket, now remove the battery (if necessary look at the user manual) and then, when NOT plugged in to socket, press the power button on the system for 30 seconds, to drain all power from it.
    Now, leaving the battery OUT, plug the system in via the power socket adapter and check to see what lights turn on.

Your system is an Acer ASPIRE v3 771g
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/4090?b=1

You need to try to get into Windows Safe Mode - Recovery options
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-windows-7-in-safe-mode-2624540

Just some advice: Instead of posting pics of stickers you can just write down the information and post it.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    baklogic likes this.
  3. jomumo4

jomumo4 Private E-2

That was a fast reply... thanks!

I have done what you suggested, and it has fired up!

It showed the 'didn't shut down properly' screen (unsurprisingly) but then went to completing the start up before I had chance to ask what I should do!

4. jomumo4

jomumo4 Private E-2

Ok, have switched to the browser on my laptop for better typing!

Is that it fixed now? Do I have to do anything further? Is there a reason why it did what it did?

Also, presumably it's ok to put the battery back in?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to try and learn from each experience!

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes it is now OK to put battery back in, but you must fully shut down first.
    These things sometimes happen for no apparent reason.
    If you are sure that Windows Update, if you run it again, shows 'Your system is up to date', then that should be fine.
    As a precautionary measure, run the System File Checker according to this guide:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files
    When the scan completes and before closing the Command Window, copy and paste exactly the below:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
    press enter.
    A text file of the scan report will be on your desktop to see if there were any corruptions.

After all the above I suggest you Create a System Restore Point for future use.

baklogic likes this.
  6. jomumo4

jomumo4 Private E-2

I will do that as soon as I can - right now time to pick the kiddy up from school, dinner etc.

Thank you so much for your time, and patience - much appreciated!

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You're welcome and good luck.

8. jomumo4

jomumo4 Private E-2

I'm working through your list of actions above, and am trying to run the system file check following the instructions at the link you gave me.

I got this message:
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

and as per the information on the link this is what I need to do:
    To resolve this problem, perform the System File Checker scan in safe mode, and make sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp.

Sorry to be dense, but do I need to run the checker in safe mode first, and then make sure that the two pending files are there? I searched for %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp using the search function on the start menu - and opened the resulting temp folder. In there was only a PendingRenames folder. Will running the file checker scan in safe mode put the missing PendingDeletes file back, or do I have to put it back before I run the file checker?

I have posted here for continuity, but please let me know if I should move this to another section of the forum.

9. jomumo4

jomumo4 Private E-2

I tried to edit my post above to add this info (to avoid another post effectively bumping the thread) but I couldn't edit. So...

It occurred to me that I was perhaps supposed to get a text file of the scan report regardless of the outcome of the scan. So I ran it again and have attached the text file. The scan stopped at the same point as before - 32%. I have no hope of me being able to understand this file!

Whilst waiting I have tried to find out what to do about replacing the missing PendingDeletes File. The advice seems to be to copy it from another computer in the same location running Windows 7. I looked on my husband's computer, and his PendingDeletes File is not there either. From curiosity I ran the System File Checker Scan on his computer, and it showed no "integrity violations". Both of our computers are showing Windows as up to date with no action necessary for updates.

So I am stuck with no clue as to what to do next. Would be grateful for any info when you are able.

Attached Files:

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Some computers do not want to boot properly if the battery is going bad. How old is the laptop? Laptop batteries usually last from 3 to 5 years.

If it boots up properly, I would not worry about doing any testing. Just use it.

If you have nothing waiting to be deleted, then you will not have a Pending Deletes folder.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I didn't give a list of things to do.
    Just to run sfc /scannow as a precaution.
    Th fact that a simple sfc /scannow wont complete would be quite worrying to me.
    If it starts and is left to complete, it should get to 100%. As long as it is left to complete and you are not running any other program or web browser while it is scanning, it should complete.

But if that system is now booting and running fine, and the battery is not more than say 5 years old, then I would leave it.

Stephen_c16 likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds