Laptop With Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kiholo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Kiholo

Kiholo Private First Class

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

I have an old old laptop Sony VIAO with VISTA which has been lying around. Now, I would like to use this laptop for doing only automotive performance tuning. I would like some kind of assessment of the feasibility to do this since many of the updates for VISTA probably do not exist.

I am currently running MalwareBytes Premium Trial and it has found 928 items and quarantining them now. I will do more cleaning in the steps described on this site.

Also, at some point, I plan to install McAfee to protect the system once cleaned.

Thank you; I await your response and assessment.

2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Sorry - it's impossible to give an assessment of an "old Sony VIAO" laptop, running unspecified software on a outdated operating system.... you need to supply a great deal more information.

3. Kiholo

My apologies...
    Sony VIAO Model PCG-6S2L with VISTA Business (SP2 last updated 09/2007)
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo T7500@2.2GHz
    Memory: 2GB
    32-bit OS

The software installed and considering on running are, basically, Firefox browser, MS Excel and Word 2010, and Adobe Reader. The main software for Tuning is TunerPro RT v5.0.

I have noticed that boot-up is very slow.

Thank you for your assistance.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can go to crucial.com and check to see if your system will take additional ram.

5. Kiholo

Crucial.com site doesn't show a listing for my model, so I'm guessing adding additional RAM is out.

6. TimW

Look on the back of the laptop and see if you can find a model number that may start with a V.......

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. Kiholo

TimW...nope...none. Only model number is the PCG-6S2L

Thank you Eldon, I will download and use it...will using program uninstall lead to unintended consequences?

9. TimW

10. Kiholo

Interesting...

I guess I may just have to struggle along with the 2GB of RAM already in the unit. I just need to do some trial runs and see if the current setup will fulfill my needs related to automotive performance tuning.

Thanks, TimW

11. TimW

Try clicking on Start, All Programs, VAIO Care, and then looking in the bottom-left corner of the VAIO Care window.

12. TimW

13. Eldon

Not at all.
    I have used it for more than 10 years.

14. Kiholo

TimW,
    I don't see a VAIO Care selection. I probably have deleted it. I recall this laptop coming with a lot of blot software. I will download the Crucial scanner and report back. Thanks

Eldon,

Sorry, my comment regarding unintended consequences wasn't about using the Revo Uninstaller. I meant using the program uninstall in the control panel. By the way, I have installed and used the Revo Uninstaller and like it. I'll be putting it in my toolkit for future use. Thanks.

15. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNSZ680CTO_mksp.pdf
    Memory
    Type: DDR2
    Installed: 4GB (2GBx2) PC2-5300, 2GB (1GBx2) PC2-5300, 1GB (1GBx1)
    PC2-5300 or 1GB (512MBx2) PC2-5300
    Maximum: 4GB
    Speed: 667MHz

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

17. TimW

From Sony: The model PCG-6S2L is the chassis number of the laptop. To help you with your question, please verify the model by checking the lower right bezel of the screen or on top of the keyboard.

18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

19. Kiholo

Thanks guys...I've upgraded to 4Gbs of RAM and have removed a considerable amount of bloatware that came on this laptop. By doing these two things, the performance has improved a lot.

Since I will be using this laptop solely for automotive performance tuning, I am going to give it a try.

baklogic likes this.
  20. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

I think the biggest concern is if the software you intend to use is compatible with Vista.

21. Kiholo

Geek_Justin,

Luckily, I already have the software called TunerPro RT running on the laptop. The additional memory really helps with shortening the boot up and when opening things like control panel, etc. I'll just have to work it.

22. Kiholo

Thanks for all the assistance thus far...upgrading to 4GB has helped a bit. However, since my Surface Pro4 just crapped out for the second time (doesn't want to turn-on) and as I consider whether to trade it in for another, I'm having to rely upon my older laptop for a wider range of computing.

In re-reading this thread, baklogic has suggested: (1) upgrading the OS to Win 7 or 10 and (2) making use of ReadyBoost. Is VISTA inherently slow? I am not familiar with ReadyBoost so would appreciate insights on this memory/performance enhancement. In addition to 2 USB ports, this laptop has a memory stick duo pro capability. Which would be the recommendation to do first--OS or ReadyBoost?

Lastly, getting back to my Surface Pro4 maladies, while I like the system, I am very bothered by the repeated problems of this platform failures. After working with Microsoft, their recommendation is to visit their local store to either upgrade or purchase an extended warranty. Did I mention that this is the second time this has happened to me...arrrrh!!!

Thank you for letting me blow off some steam...:)

23. Eldon

No.
    Operating System.
    ReadyBoost won't help as you already have 4GB RAM - the maximum 32-bit Windows can use.

24. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

I think you'd be best off to just replace it with something more up to date.

25. Kiholo

Eldon, since I've already max'd out memory at 4GB, what could be the issue with this laptop's slowness? Are there some settings that I should look at?

Justin, do you mean replacing my laptop with something more up to date?

26. Eldon

27. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

When you said you want to use it for automotive tuning only, is this for a business or just a hobby? If it's for a business I'm just afraid that it doesn't have much life left in it. You also mentioned running McAfee which uses a lot of resources on a computer that's already limited. If it's for a hobby please tell me more about what you do. I love classic cars.

28. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The CPU in it.
    I have two Acer Aspire netbooks, two different models. The first one, an AspireOpen722, crawls and yet it is faster than an internet friend who also owns an AspireOpen722 because my CPU is a bit better than his. (mine is an AMD C-60 while his is an AMD C-50). My second netbook is an Aspire V5 and it flies compared to the 722. It is all down to the CPU because both have 4GB of RAM in them and almost the same programs.

29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds