Mcafee Removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by skd44, Sep 14, 2006.

1. skd44

skd44 Private First Class

My trial subscription to Mcafee has run out and I have no interest in buying it or really using it, as I hear that it is not a good or useful antivirus tool. Every time I boot my computer though all these Mcafee messages appear, like Active Shield can't be started because of missing files, or You need to renew your Mcafee subscription. I ran the Mcafee uninstaller under Add/Remove programs and yet these messages still continue to appear. First question, how do I stop this from happening and remove all aspects of Mcafee, and I would prefer something fairly simple as I am not that computer savy. Second, what programs can I use that will be better than Mcafee and maybe a little cheaper, as I know there are many on here people use. Thank you.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The Mcafee uninstaller is to uninstall other programs ...in your system tray you need to stop any running Mcafee processes ...then in add/remove look for the security suite and uninstall there.

AVG is a good simple virus program that is free and reliable:
    Avg:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=886

3. GeekinTraining13

GeekinTraining13 Private E-2

I had the very exact same problem, for me however, it was because I uninstalled it successfully but then had to do a system restore but the files were still gone. So I was getting tons of error messages about files being missing etc. What I did to fix it was re-install all the McAfee stuff off of their website, and then uninstall it again. Don't kno if that would work if your subscription is up but that is why I was at least getting error messages.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds