Microsoft Outlook 2007 issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bboy_Rusty, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Ok back again its rare, but when I cannot fathom something I visit here to consult with the oracles. ;) So I tried to drag my Microsoft Outlook 2007 in the programs list to the start up folder, without success! I have repaired the program so I now have the working icon in its correct folder yet I'm stuck with this remnant in the program list. If I try to delete it says Access denied. make sure the disc is not full or write protected or in use.

I tried going into safe mode to delete, I tried a system restore which was unsuccessful and also ticking in properties read only which it also denies me rolleyes But I'm sure some of you lovely knowledgeable people here will know better and can advise me on this issue! Thanks

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Sorry I forgot to mention that was my first port of call and AVG 1 click maintenance ;)

4. johnllc

johnllc Private E-2

There are some Common issues create in your Microsoft outlook 2007 Application

A) - Outlook stops responding (hangs).
    B) - Outlook crashes even though you aren't C) - actively using it.
    D) - Outlook crashes when you start it.

5. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

No issues with my outlook, only an issue with removing the remaining remnant in my program list, thanks

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Post a screenshot and we'll then know which OS you are using and which Startup folder you are talking about.

7. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

How do I insert a pic on here in word doc? im on win xp sp3

8. Earthling

If you don't know how to post a screenshot in XP then I'll skip that. So we can follow exactly what you have done did you try this drag and drop entirely in the Start > All Programs menu, by dragging the Outlook icon to the Startup folder? Or some other way?

9. Earthling

Some other thoughts - have you tried rebooting and then deleting? Can you open Task Manager and kill outlook.exe if it's running?

10. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Done the first and no its not running lol dum de dum not an easy one this although im sure it should be

11. johnllc

johnllc Private E-2

Hi,

Step1. The Print Screen key is near the upper-right corner of your keyboard.

Step2. upload image in free images hosting website then create image URL and paste here

Thank You!

12. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/786/OvLHYm.png

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs and remove the shortcut
    also look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and remove the shortcut

If it still appears then look at C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Start Menu\Programs and remove the shortcut.

14. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

No still wont allow me to delete! fooker I thought that was the key too rolleyes

15. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Could your anti-virus have created a rule about the start up when you moved it? I had to delete a rule in 360 Total Security about a startup not too long ago to remove the entry. It was the a-v that was "using the folder/file". 360 TS monitors startups...

16. Earthling

I always keep a Linux live boot disk available for situations like this, but if you don't have any boot disks then this will help you get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  17. theefool

theefool Geekified

@Bboy_Rusy: Which of these folders does that file reside in?

Are you an administrator on this computer?

18. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

its the path specified above that was mentioned although the 'profile' it is in is all users

19. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Sorry and yes I am an admin on this pc

20. plodr

21. plodr

22. Earthling

I had read it that he just wanted to remove a start menu shortcut, not the entire program. Have I missed the point of this thread entirely?

@ OP - I gave you a link in #16. If it is just the shortcut that you want to remove, and if you know its path, then that will resolve your problem.

23. plodr

Well I fired up XP and I do not have Outlook. My Office 2007 is the Home and Student edition so it doesn't come with all the bells and whistles.
    My husband only uses Word and Excel, that's why I bought the cheap edition ($80) that can be installed on 3 computers. I installed it on mine to learn it so I could teach him. I'm tech support in the house. :-D

24. Earthling

I guess I'm not the only forum regular who fails to check out the stickies from time to time but there is one currently for your very question - take a look. I know you have managed to post a fullscreen screenshot but very often you need to show a selected window or part of the screen - this will help. You don't use Word btw.

25. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Hi so what exactly the link pointing me to as there was a number of things to download there. Also what do you mean by a selected window, and no i didn't use word that was a mistake on my behalf. Thanks

26. Earthling

Click the first Download@MajorGeeks link and you will be offered ofview.zip. Save that to your Downloads folder, extract the files and install and run.

When posting a screenshot when you have more than one window open on your desktop you can snap just that window, or any selected part of the screen.

27. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

if you mean where it says download locations then its just linking a list first on it is Chromium

28. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

My mistake I didnt read properly. Ok I have it but how do I know whaich file it is im looking for or is this where i do a screen shot and im told? :)

29. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

30. Earthling

There's a find function, look for the filename you are trying to delete.

31. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Yes it doesnt seem to do anything

32. Earthling

It puts a soft highlight on the first instance it finds. You then have to instruct it what to do from the File menu, or move on to the next instance with Ctrl F. If you have the right file, and close its handle, you should then be able to delete it.

33. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

@ earthling. You were linking to the old test site. Corrected the URL. Should be fine now.

34. Earthling

Thanks for that :)

35. Earthling

@ Bboy_Rusty If you aren't having any success with OpenedFilesFind you might try looking for and deleting the file in Autoruns. As the file is open after a restart I think Autoruns will find it.

36. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can't remember if cacls is part of xp, but if so, at a command prompt:

c:
    cd "Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs"
    cacls the name of the file

also not sure if this exists in xp: use takeown /f filename
    try to delete now

37. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Thanks Earthling but no open files find wasn't successful. Also when I type in Microsoft Office 2007 in Autoruns nothing shows i also tried looking for cacls file and tried looking for it by location, nothing!

38. Earthling

I think we have all been labouring under the impression that you do know the name and location of the file you are wanting to delete, but your last post demolishes that notion completely. I believe the offending shortcut is to Microsoft Outlook so the filename you are searching for will be microsoft outlook.lnk and you can establish its path by right clicking it and clicking Properties. If the path in Properties is too long to display fully then drag your mouse along it until you can see the full path. You can then use OpenedFilesFind to identify that path and filename or you could simply search for microsoft outlook.lnk in Autoruns.

If the shortcut is to something else use its Properties to establish the path and filename. I notice that in XP it does not actually tell you about the .lnk extension - quite an omission! For avoidance of doubt it's .LNK and all entries in the Start menus have that extension..

39. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

It just says cannot find string.

40. Earthling

Can you post a screenshot please that shows us the actual problem, the shortcut that you are trying to remove, and its Properties? Right click the shortcut to display Properties and then press PrtScrn. Then open Paint and use Paste. As we don't want a full screen screenshot, just the part of interest, crop the picture to get the part we want and save that as a jpg or png and post it here.

41. Earthling

Here's another thought that you might want to try first - in Autoruns just search for .lnk one at a time until you find the suspect and disable it.

Other than using a boot disk I'm pretty well out of ideas. You can delete any file using a boot disk as Windows hasn't started and had any chance to lock anything.

42. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

I did try that so what would I do using a boot disc? feel free to give up if its not straight forward. :)
    http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7553/rskzkp.png
    http://imageshack.com/a/img540/7293/2uwvTJ.png
    http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5070/BATpTp.png

43. Earthling

The first pic shows what looks like a perfectly normal set of Office startup links other than that the Outlook link says 2007 but none of the others do. Do you have two versions of Office or Outlook installed?

44. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

No theres microsoft office then theres a folder that says microsoft outlook 2007 the one thats the problem is the one highlighted which came about from a drag and drop and Its not the same as what it looks like in its folder

45. Earthling

Humour me please - if you click on the Word or Excel links do the splash screens say 2007?

46. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

No thats 202 as was outlook until I updated it, I thought you meant two versions of Outlook

47. Earthling

Am I understanding this correctly? You have Office 2002 installed but at some later point you updated Outlook only to 2007?

48. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

Correct

49. Earthling

At last! Microsoft Office is an integrated suite, not a set of separate programs. You can select which components you want but you cannot mix components from one version with components from a different version without creating inconsistencies which may or may not be serious. Your unremovable start menu link is an example and you may experience other issues with Outlook too.

As you are running a mongrel version of Office I won't be able to help any further - not that I've been able to help so far unfortunately :(

50. Bboy_Rusty

Bboy_Rusty Private E-2

The office I installed didn't have outlook on it but never mind seems you've exhausted all possibilities. Thanks for the effort

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds