MS Office .uif File Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by J4N15, Nov 5, 2007.

1. J4N15

J4N15 Private E-2

Hello. I recently downloaded a version of MS Office 2007 via a torrent program. Instead of burning it to a disk, I used Daemon tools to install it instead. After I was finished installing, I tried to delete it, but got the error that the file was being used by another program, yada yada. So, I close down Daemon tools and all processes I suspected to be linked to it. I even closed down Office related processes. Still the same message. I restarted, but this failed to solve the problem. I booted it up in safe mode, only to have the same message appear. It's taking up a lot of space; what should I do?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

The problem is that Daemon tools keeps the file loaded in the virtual drive until you unmount the image.

Try opening My Computer; right click the virtual CD drive that shows Office and choose unmount. Then try to delete the .uif file.

If that doesn't work go into Daemon Tools and look for the unmount option. Not exactly sure where it is and I don't have the program installed on this PC but it will do the same thing. Then delete the .uif

3. J4N15

J4N15 Private E-2

Daemon tools does not run in safe mode. I tried it anyway and it didn't work.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What about the unlocker? Does it show the file being used by anything? Not sure it will do any good if a restart doesn't help. Sorry to have steered you wrong about the virtual drive.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Maybe boot into the recovery console and delete from there, or boot to a PE CD. I remove stubborn files by booting to PE all the time (I actually use the UBCD4Win but it's the same thing). .uif files are usually Magic ISO image files, maybe you can remove it via Magic ISO somehow....

6. J4N15

J4N15 Private E-2

It seems that MagicISO was, indeed, the root of the problem. I shut it down and the file easily deleted. Guess it really is magic. Thanks to everyone who replied to this noob!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds