Ndisuio.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by trogladyte, May 4, 2010.

1. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

My wife's Compaq Preasarion A900 laptop running Vista will not connect to wireless. I think this may be an issue with NDISUIO.SYS.

Yesterday we were getting an error on bootup: "- LogonUI.exe Bad Image: WTSAPI32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error" Few programs would run, and there was no networking. Safe mode was much the same. I ran SFC/scannow from a command prompt, and that reported that it had fixed some but not all system files.

On reboot everything was back to normal except wireless. The wireless light is on, but Windows cannot find any wireless networks. Running the diagnostic reveals Windows wireless support is not on. But attempting to turn it on says Windows cannot fix the problem.

The CBS log reveals the file that cannot be restored to be NDISUIO.SYS. It says that the file in store is also corrupted. This looks like a prime candidate for my problem, as I think its part of the zero configuration wireless support.

Is it possible to restore this file from a remote location? If its available I could d/l to my desktop, and transfer to the laptop on a pen drive or something.

Any help or advice would be appreciated - the wife is...slightly stressed.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the exact model varient of the Compaq A900 as their are 100+ of them, shopuld be on a sticker underneath, likely A935ea or similar, just need this in case we need to re-install any drivers as various models have different hardware and thus different drivers.

What Service Pack for Vista are you using?

Have you had a malware (virus) infection of late that was cleaned up and what is your antivirus/security applications?

When you ran sfc /scannow from the command prompt did you do this in elevated admin mode? if not some settings and files may not copy or work well, so try again and click Start and type CMD in the Start Search box then right click it and choose Run as Administrator and type the same command in again.

Check in Services (click Start and type Services into the Start Search box), look down the list for WLAN AutoConfig and again make sure its Started and startup type is Automatic.

Could you check a registry key for me, so click Start and type in the Start Search box regedit and hit enter, then navigate to this location here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Ndisuio and what in the right hand window next to Start do you have as a figure eg. 0x00000003 (3)

Dont change anything yet, but right click the Ndisuio folder and choose export and save somewhere as a backup, then you could change the figure to 2, to do this double click that Start key and change the value data to 2 and click OK

*do each one of the above in turn and check at each stage if Wifi is working or not.

3. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

Hi Halo

Thanks so much for your time.

The machine is an A961EM

It is running Vista 6.0 SP1 32 bit.

I don't think we've had an infection lately - I cleaned out a malware antivirus over a year ago. A month or two ago my son called me as he had a screen saying virus detection and asking to download a tool, so we just backed out and closed it all - no problems after that.

We are using the dreaded Norton anti-virus. It came with the machine, and once it's in it holds tight. It is currently warning that it has been disabled and can't update. I wasn't too worried as we can't connect anyway, but obviously I will update and enable when we can.

I think I ran SFC as administrator, as there is only one user account and it is administrator. But I followed your instruction and did it again. Still said there were things it couldn't fix.

Services shows WLAN Autoconfig as automatic, but not running. When I tried to start it I got "Windows could not start the WLAN auto config on local computer. Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."

The registry key is showing as 3 (0x000003)

I changed the registry value to 2, but we still have no wireless I'm afraid.

4. DavidGP

Hi

Cheers for the updated info, go back into regedit and change that figure back to 3 again in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Ndisuio and also check that this one HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet002/Services/Ndisuio is also set to 3

Reboot and try starting the service again, also go into Network and Sharing Center and click Change Adapter Settings and right click and disable then re-enable and check the Services again to see if they Start.

I just get a sneeky feeling that malware is the cause of this or the crash you had is leaning towards data corruption of your HDD, but to rule out malware, please run through the below and start a new thread in the Malware forum and have our experts in their give your logs a once over, just would like to rule malware out.

Do you have a Windows Vista CD/DVD? just in case need a repair install.
    If you check System Restore, do you have any restore points from a day or so earlier than the crash? just type System Restore into the Start Search box and then choose, Choose a Different Restore Point and check the list for a restore point before the crash, a System Restore may actually put any missing files back, but do create one if/before you restore back.

5. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

Thanks fella.

I'll run through the malware removal - may take a while - will get back to you when we know the lappy is clean.

We don't have a Vista disk - I think it came with Vista pre-inatalled, and with a separate partition. Can you do a repair install from there, or do I need to make some disks?

I tried going back to a restore point which was before the crash in my initial panic - but it didn't help.

6. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

Hi Halo

I've been through the Malware removal forum, and the laptop is clean. I lost all connectivity for a while, but I managed to get wired internet back on by deleting the card and forcing it to reinstall. Still no luck with wireless though - I also deleted the wireless card and reloaded drivers for that, and the drivers appear to be correct and up to date. Still not working, and I have several excamation marks in that section in device manager "Windows cannot start this device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19)."

Also just installed SP2.

I also tried system restore, but it fails to restore, and says try a different restore point - which I have ...but...yeah that's right!

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

7. DavidGP

Hi

What are the devices in Device Manager with the yellow ! marks?

Do mention the above devices first before following the below as I woud like to know what devices are listing this error, below is posted so I remember what I was going to posts

• IN Services navigate to 'WLAN AutoConfig' and open it up make sure its set to Started and startup type is set to Automatic, then click the dependancies tab and write down all the services listed and then goto each one and make sure they are Started and set to Automatic.
    • Can follow this HERE and the instruction for code 19 in tapping at boot F8 to bring up the safe mode menu and try Last Know Good, which should re-install a saved good registry.

8. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

In network adapters there is:

Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wifi Adapter (this is OK)
    Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC (Also OK)
    WAN Miniport (IP) - WinpkFilter Miniport (marked with !)
    WAN Miniport (IP v6) - WinpkFilter Miniport (marked with !)
    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) - WinpkFilter Miniport (marked with !)

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Please check your malware thread again. Combo removed some drivers that it should not have. :)

10. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

Hi Halo

I've had a go at restoring the files Combofix deleted in error without success - but don't think this is a problem, as I deleted the cards and forced a reinstall, so I think the drivers are OK - or as OK as they were!

I still have the yellow ! marks as in the post above. I have wired internet, but no wireless.

Shall i now proceed with the steps you posted above to remind yourself?

11. TimW

I do think the only way for you to fix the wireless is to visit the manufacterers website and find your model and download the appropriate drivers.

12. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

I'm happy to give that a go.

13. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

OK. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the Atheros wireless card and the Realtek ethernet from the Compaq site.

But I still have my yellow ! marks, and no wireless.

14. DavidGP

Hi

Try this one first
    • IN Services navigate to 'WLAN AutoConfig' and open it up make sure its set to Started and startup type is set to Automatic, then click the dependancies tab and write down all the services listed and then goto each one and make sure they are Started and set to Automatic.

Then if that doesnt help, open Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings (menu list on the left) then right click the Wireless icon and choose Properties and then Networking tab and look down the list for

WAN Miniport (IP) - WinpkFilter Miniport
    WAN Miniport (IP v6) - WinpkFilter Miniport
    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) - WinpkFilter Miniport

and untick then click uninstall on each of those ones ONLY, then reboot and check your Wireless again.

15. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

Hi

I am not seeing "change adapter settings" in the left menu bar.

16. TimW

In Network and Sharing, click the mange wireless networks. There should be a tab at the top for "adapter properties", click that and then scroll down to internet protocol versions 6 and then 4 and hit properties for both....see if they are set to auto.

17. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

No - not seeing it. there is no "manage wireless networks"

If I go to manage networks connections, I get icons for Local Area connection and wireless connection. The LAN is showing as connected, and the wireless as not connected. There's no adapter properties tab.

18. TimW

I have forgotten....xp? If so, right click the wireless connection / properties / and on the top, check the configuration tab.

19. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

No it's Vista.

20. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

If I right click the wireless adapter - properties - configure - it just shows the atheros adapter and says its working OK. None of the WAN miniport entries are there.

21. TimW

Do you have a usb dongle that you can use to test? My other machine lost the wireless and I had to resort to a usb wifi adapter.

22. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

I do, but it won't install with vista, unfortunately.

But I'm sure this isn't a hardware problem. i think i might need to do a repair Vista install.

23. DavidGP

Hi

What I would do as TimW has given you the all clear on malware on your PC which is a great sign, is to, uninstall the Wifi devices in Device Manager and then look in Add/remove for any Wifi managers or device drivers and uninstall them, as I feel in part you may have Windows and a Dell Wifi Manager fighting over who controls Wifi.

Once you have all devices uninstalled, only install the Chipset from HERE and reboot and then installt the Wifi driver from HERE and see if Windows Wireless Zero Config picks it up, may need to enter services and set the WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) service to Started and Automatic.

24. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

Thanks Halo

Sorry for the delay - life went on hold for 24 hours while we had an appendix removed from a child...rolleyes

So... I uninstalled the Atheros wireless card. Then uninstalled the Atheros driver installer from add/remove programs, and then uninstalled the HP wireless assistant. While uninstalling the wireless card i got a notification to say the ethernet drivers had succesfully installed...

I then tried to install the chipset drivers. This resulted in a notification saying that the drivers had not installed properly and would I like to try again with recommended settings. Yes. Installation failed as computer does not have minimum spec required - odd looked like the right drivers for the model.

On reboot it sais it was installing ethernet drivers, and then found new hardware (Atheros wirelss card) and installed drivers.

Then downloaded new Atheros drivers from your link.

Wireless service still won't start.

25. DavidGP

Hi

Understand completly, appendix not nice, had mine out years ago, in emergency op, was about to go pop.

In Device Manager what items have yellow ! marks now?

The chipset should have been fine as its exact one for your model, so that could be crucial (kinda wondering if the malware did more damage than we are seeing), as well as a reboot and windows re-installing before you installed the updated drivers, so seems it put the old ones back, just try this for now and uninstall the Atheros drivers, and dont reboot, then install the latest ones I linked too and then reboot and check.

As somethink I did notice on a compaq laptop the other day and while I know its likely no the case here, does yours have a little button on the case to turn on/off the WiFi? just check its not off.

26. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

OK the Atiheros driver installed OK. still can't start the WLAN service - error 1068 - the dependency service could not be started.

I still have ! marks on the three WAN Miniport entries.

And yes, I do have the wireless button turned on!

27. DavidGP

Hi

IN Services navigate to 'WLAN service' and open it up and click the dependancies tab and write down all the services listed and then goto each one and make sure they are Started and set to Automatic. A dependancy service is not started and that in turn seems to be causing the wifi service not to start.

Also post what dependancy services are listed for me.

Cheers.

28. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

The dependencies are

Extensible authentication protocol (shows as started)
    Expanding this entry reveals:
    - CNG Key Isolation
    -Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Native Wifi Filter (not on list in services)
    NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol (not on list)
    Remote Procedure Call
    - expands to reveal - DCOM Server Process Launcher

There were two entries for remote procedure call. One was started and set to automatic. One was not started and set to manual. I started it and set it to auto.

Trying to start WLAN still gives error 1068.

29. DavidGP

Hi

Cheers for the services list and what they are doing, sadly thing that you need to re-install Windows or try and run a repair, do you have or can you borrow a Windows Vista CD?

If you can find a Vista Cd then run from an elevated CMD command prompt sfc /scannow, to get to an elevated CMD prompt click Start and type cmd into the start search box and right click CMD and choose run as administrator and then type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

Maybe worth saving all the important docs and files to DVD/CD/xHDD and clean install from maker.

30. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

No Vista CD - it is installed from a partition. There is an option to return the machine to factory spec by reinstalling from the partition. Or, alternatively, I think I could order a recovery CD from Compaq.

Do I need a CD, or can I work from the partition?

Oh yeah - do I need a CD to run SFC /scannow?

31. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

I've just made a set of recovery discs for the laptop. Are they functionally equivalent to a Vista disk?

32. DavidGP

If you can run the recovery to factory spec from the partition then that is the best option and will put the machine back to the day you bought it with drivers etc all installed, and a good option, it can highlight if the wifi doesnt work when this has been run and all apps installed, that its a hardware error and cannot be fixed with software drivers/tricks. TBH a restore to factory is the only thing I can think of left to try as I cannot think of any other options we have not tried to get this to work, hate using a re-install but its a last resort.

BUT do backup all your important files, emails, pictures etc before running this as everything is removed, can as you have Vista run the Windows Easy Transfer app, its good but I would still make a manual backup of any important files as well.

DO also make sure you make a list of the applications you had installed as you may have installed ones that did not come with the PC originally, and make sure you have the original disks, downloads and serial keys if needed.

Sadly no, they wont allow the running of SFC, they will do the same as the Recovery to Factory.

33. trogladyte

trogladyte Private E-2

OK.

Thanks for all your help on this. I think I'm going to nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

I'll let you know how I get on.

34. DavidGP

Hi

Yeah, seems with now the lenght of time spent on this that, while drastic this is the best option and please do let us know how you get on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds