Need A "replacement" E-reader For The Nook Tablet 7:(

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by outdoorgal, Dec 27, 2016.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I spent 49.00 plus tax on a Nook Tablet 7" from Barnes and Noble, for my sister's Christmas present. Then I found out that it had spywares (adups) from China's Samsung Manufacturer.

So I am returning the Nook after talking with some of the Geeks here, and do feel it is best. But now I have to try and find another reader for my sis, that is either the same price (new Kindle for 49 bucks, they call it just "Fire", not Kindle Fire) or at least within a few dollars. I'm not rich.

Does anyone actually own one of these new, 49 dollar Kindles or Nooks?

If not, but you have some first-hand knowledge of how good they are, the Fire I mean, as that's the one I'm thinking of buying for her. She was really happy to have the Nook, but we luckily, never got it set up for her, since I found out about the spyware deal.

If you don't know about the ADUPS spyware, you can look at the other thread here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index....-laden-with-spyware-help.315551/#post-1984313

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If your sister doesn't buy a lot of ebooks, music and such from Amazon or have an Amazon prime account, she might be disappointed in the Fire. It's primarily set up for the consumption of Amazon media. For $49, there will be ads but an extra $15 will get the ad-free version.

The main problem is you'll get what you paid for. As for other $50 range tablets, odds are they will be Chinese made with a mediatek chip and possibly ADUPS update software also.

3. outdoorgal

oh crap:( Well I've ordered the Fire, and if need be, I'll send it back. I'm really disgusted with this whole reader thing. I love my Nook, had it for 5 years, no issues.

Thanks for your help JP, denise

4. outdoorgal

Just an FYI, there is one ad when the Fire Tablet 7 starts up, that is not spyware. To get rid of the ad, you swipe it off screen when the Fire boots up. This came from a tech that has a new Fire Tablet 7" so I am going to go ahead with my order.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I get all my books from Amazon and read on my phone. Not helpful for many with small phones but you might be surprised how readable a book is on a smartphone. The Kindle app is also available for all devices.

6. AlexSurf86

AlexSurf86 Guest

If someone still looking for a cheap and good-quality e-reader I would highly recommend the Kindle 6''.
    LINK REMOVED
    It's really nice to read on and very easy to use. I have had several different tablets including the Kindle Fire and I just didn't like all the extra stuff.
    I just wanted a basic reader and that is what I got. I won't be able to use Wikipedia but the dictionary makes up for that. None of the other features interest me nor were they a selling point when I made my purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Aren't you a special kind of stupid. Links removed. Thanks for playing though!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds