Need New Dell Reinstall Dvd For Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sam1911, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

The hard drive in my Dell Latitude e6410 laptop got fried, so I ordered a new one. I went to reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64 bit from the DVD that came with the laptop. I've never had a problem with that before, but apparently something has happened, and the DVD is corrupt. It seems that since it's an OEM product, there is no ISO available online anywhere, and when I try to use the recovery tools on Dell's site, it tells me that since it's an OEM product, I have to contact Dell. I did, and Dell tells me they won't send me a new one because the machine originally came with Vista. I do have a valid product key for Win 7, and I've had no problem activating it in the past.

So, do I have any options for downloading the reinstall stuff or no? I guess I will look on eBay for it, unless someone has a better idea. I don't really want to buy a replacement laptop right now.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Another question: If I simply buy an ISO download of Win 7, with a new product key, from somewhere like softwarelicense4u.com for about $20, since it's faster than waiting for eBay, will that work?

4. TimW

See post #2

Sam1911 likes this.
  5. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

I tried that. This is what it tells me:
    Error
    The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Contacting the device manufacturer got nowhere.

6. TimW

Sounds like your product key is for Vista. Looks like you will have to go the ebay route.

7. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

No, it is definitely for 7. I bought the laptop used, and the previous owner had installed a new copy of 7 (apparently over Vista) and sent me the key plus the reinstall CD. I had to reinstall 7 on it once before, and the CD and key worked fine, but the CD is broken now. I guess I'll have to look for one on eBay. Thanks!

8. TimW

Good luck.

Sam1911 likes this.
  9. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Sam1911 likes this.
  10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html

Sam1911 likes this.
  11. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

TimW it's all very well replying to a post in initials (YCLAHTW, BYCMHD!!) but what does that mean to the uninitiated or non English members?

12. Booboo58

Booboo58 Private E-2

You Can Lead A Horse To Water, But You Can't Make Him Drink

13. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Thank you! I downloaded it. It gave me options for several Windows, including Pro and OEM Home. It did not give me an option for OEM Pro, which is what I really need. I opted for OEM Home, but then my product key is for OEM Pro, and it didn't work when I typed it in for OEM Home. Windows did load, but it's not verified.

14. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

15. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

I think the bottom line is that there is not an ISO for OEM Pro, so I really need a replacement DVD. I did find one and have ordered it.

16. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Okay, another question: I never upgraded that laptop to Win 10 with the free install. Is there a way to use my Win 7 product key to download and clean install Win 10?

17. TimW

18. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Actually, I was able to do it. I can't find the link right now, but Google found me a link to get the ISO from Microsoft. It prompted me to put in my Win 7 Pro key, which I did, and then it installed Win 10 Pro. Win 10 Pro says it is Activated, and there is a new product key given. So hurray!

19. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Pardon, the Google link was for the Home Edition.

Glad you got it sorted out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds