Need To Master Format A Dvd+rw But Can't Figure Out How

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I just bought a Blu-ray player and the instructions say, "You have to set the disc format option to [Mastered] in order to make the discs compatible". But I can't figure out how to do that. I erased all data on a disc using CDBurnerXP, then formatted the disc from the Windows context menu, and then ejected it. But every time I reinsert it, a window pops up asking me ro drag and drop files into it. So it's obviously formatted to work like a flash drive. But I need it formatted to work with my Blu-ray player. What should I do? Or do I just need a brand new disc I've never used before?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

DVD's don't work on Blu-ray.

3. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

4. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

What are you talking about? Of course they do. I've never heard of a Blu-ray player that doesn't also play DVDs.

6. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

7. TimW

My bad....I was thinking about older players. What model do you have?

8. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

It's an LG BP350.

Attached Files:

10. TimW

11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Sorry, I've read through every post on that page and I don't see how it's relevant. I may be worrying about nothing. Maybe I'm just confused between recorded discs and data discs. I attached the Blu-ray player's instruction manual to my last post. Page 8 lists all the playable discs. There's a note on page 9 that says at the bottom, "
    You have to set the disc format option to [Mastered] in order to make the discs compatible with the LG players when formatting rewritable discs. When setting the option to Live System, you cannot use it on LG player. (Mastered/Live File System : Disc format system for windows Vista)". I took that to mean all discs, but maybe it just refers to recorded discs. Because on page 29 of the manual, "Playing a file on disc/USB device", it says, "This player can play video, audio and photo files contained in the disc or USB device.

1. Insert a data disc on the tray or connect a USB device."

So am I worrying about nothing?

12. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

The correct term is Pre-recorded discs... meaning you bought the disc with the files (whatever type) already recorded on it. You can create data discs by formatting a blank disc and then recording data (movie/music/photos) to it, to be played on your LG player.
    -meaning when you record files/data to that blank disc, you must choose to copy all files in one session, or atleast "close" the disc before attempted to play it with your LG player.
    There is no reason to put a formatted disc containing no data (stored files) in the player.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1963993&seqNum=31

13. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't know why you'd think I was suggesting putting a formatted disc with no data in the player. That doesn't make any sense. I had simply said in that post that I thought I was getting confused between recorded discs and data discs, and that only recorded discs had to be master formatted, whereas it didn't matter how data discs were formatted. That's the impression I had been under. Can you tell me how to change the formatting on a previously used disc to master format? As I said in the opening post, I've tried erasing it securely with CDBurnerXP, and then I tried formatting it from the Windows context menu, but wasn't given the option between Live System and Master. Is there no way to Master format a previously used disc? Do I have to use a completely brand new one?

14. dr.moriarty

1. When you erase a rewriteable disc with CDBurnerXP, the previous data and the formatting is gone.
    2. Then, after selecting files to be burned to the disc, the choice is given to rename the disc and save
    compilation

3. Finally burning the disc brings up the options-
    Leave disc open - a.k.a Live System
    Finalize disc - a.k.a Master format

I hope that you now understand - it can't be made any simpler.
    re: https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Data/compiledata

15. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

16. dr.moriarty

Awesome!

17. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Ah dr.moriarty youve done it again!

dr.moriarty likes this.
  18. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

FYI A little more info...
    If AutoPlay is enabled, when you load a disc and click Burn files to disc using Windows Explorer, then the dialogue box in the thread you posted will appear.

Attached Files:

19. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Great, thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds